Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Four Chattanooga relievers who could help Reds bullpen in future

Four Chattanooga relievers who could help Reds bullpen in future

I was just browsing through the Chattanooga roster and I noticed that there are four relievers on that squad who have a legit shot at being serviceable relievers in the major leagues. I wouldn't be surprised to see all four of these guys appear in a game with the Reds this year at some point as long as they continue to pitch well.

Carlos Guevara, RHP - 24 years old, 6'0" 175

10.1 innings, 5 hits, 1 HR, 1 BB, 15 K, 0.59 WHIP, 1.74 ERA

Calvin Medlock, RHP - 23 years old, 5'10" 175

10.2 innings, 4 hits, 0 HR, 7 BB, 7 K, 1.08 WHIP, 1.69 ERA

David Shafer, RHP - 24 years old, 6'3" 185

6 innings, 2 hits, 0 HR, 1 BB, 7 K, 0.50 WHIP, 0.00 ERA

Jon Coutlangus, LHP - 25 years old, 6'1" 180

9 innings, 3 hits, 0 HR, 6 BB, 10 K, 1.00 WHIP, 2.00 ERA

2. Turn Off Ads?
    White Castle to the Nile Crash Davis's Avatar

Re: Four Chattanooga relievers who could help Reds bullpen in future

I'd like to see one or two of them force their way into the picture later this season.

How about Brad Salmon? He's been in the organization since '99, and I've always had in the back of my mind that things would click for him one day and he'd put it all together. If he can hone that control, he could come the rest of the way pretty quickly.

When did we get Coutlangus? What's his stuff like?

Quote Originally Posted by Superdude
    When did we get Coutlangus? What's his stuff like?
    Jon Coutlangus was claimed off waivers from the Giants on the last day of March. I hear he is very popular with the ladies.

I found this on him:

A case in point is Jon Coutlangus. Drafted as an outfielder, Coutlangus struggled with the bat in 2004 but showed a strong arm from center field. This arm also happened to be the left arm, and so he was asked to switch to pitching. Realizing he had a much better shot of moving up as a pitcher, Coutlangus agreed. He was sent last year to San Jose as a lefthanded reliever, and though he struggled the first half of the season, he made adjustments and by the second half was one of our most reliable relievers. There were times he was untouchable, and this offseason he earned a spot on the Giants' 40-man roster. One year his career seemed to be headed nowhere but now he is knocking on the door of the big leagues.

Coutlangus was slated to begin the year with Wald and I in Norwich but --- as often happens --- a move at the big-league level had a trickle-down impact. When Jamey Wright won the Giants' fifth starting job as a non-roster invitee, someone else had to be taken off the 40-man roster. This, unfortunately, was Coutlangus, who was claimed on waivers the next day by the Cincinnati Reds. A sad day for many in our organization as Coutlangus, aside from possessing a devastating cut fastball, also has a devastating sense of humor. He will be sorely missed.

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn...ic.php?t=80031

A sad day for many in our organization as Coutlangus, aside from possessing a devastating cut fastball, also has a devastating sense of humor.
    You would have to with a name like that. His nickname has gotta be Couter, right?
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Mr. Guevera had two perfect innings with 3 Ks tonight. Get the guy to AAA and hopefully then to Cincinnati.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61
    Mr. Guevera had two perfect innings with 3 Ks tonight. Get the guy to AAA and hopefully then to Cincinnati.
    Guevera
    12.1IP 5H 2ER 1BB 18K

Coutlangus
    11IP 4H 2ER 6BB 11K

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85
    Guevera
    12.1IP 5H 2ER 1BB 18K
    Those are some SICK numbers, esp that K/BB rate. WOW!

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine
    Jon Coutlangus was claimed off waivers from the Giants on the last day of March. I hear he is very popular with the ladies.

I found this on him:

A case in point is Jon Coutlangus. Drafted as an outfielder, Coutlangus struggled with the bat in 2004 but showed a strong arm from center field. This arm also happened to be the left arm, and so he was asked to switch to pitching. Realizing he had a much better shot of moving up as a pitcher, Coutlangus agreed. He was sent last year to San Jose as a lefthanded reliever, and though he struggled the first half of the season, he made adjustments and by the second half was one of our most reliable relievers. There were times he was untouchable, and this offseason he earned a spot on the Giants' 40-man roster. One year his career seemed to be headed nowhere but now he is knocking on the door of the big leagues.

Coutlangus was slated to begin the year with Wald and I in Norwich but --- as often happens --- a move at the big-league level had a trickle-down impact. When Jamey Wright won the Giants' fifth starting job as a non-roster invitee, someone else had to be taken off the 40-man roster. This, unfortunately, was Coutlangus, who was claimed on waivers the next day by the Cincinnati Reds. A sad day for many in our organization as Coutlangus, aside from possessing a devastating cut fastball, also has a devastating sense of humor. He will be sorely missed.

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn...ic.php?t=80031

IIRC, a few weeks ago, I was watching this ESPN spring training show where Rob Schneider (Deuce Bigelow) was working out with the Giants. I think the show was basically a promo for his new movie , Benchwarmers. Anyway, he got into an actual live intra-squad scrimmage at 2B and got an AB against none other than John Coutlangus. Coutlangus made him look pretty bad on the first pitch, but hen he actually fouled one off before whiffing on the third pitch.

He later thanked Coutlangus for being generous and throwing him nothing but fastballs.

Guevara 14.1 5H 2R 2BB 21K

Updated through April 29

Carlos Guevara, RHP

14.1 innings, 5 hits, 1 HR, 2 BB, 21 K, 0.50 WHIP, 1.26 ERA

Calvin Medlock, RHP

14.2 innings, 6 hits, 0 HR, 7 BB, 12 K, 0.92 WHIP, 1.23 ERA

David Shafer, RHP

9 innings, 6 hits, 0 HR, 3 BB, 10 K, 1.00 WHIP, 2.00 ERA

Jon Coutlangus, LHP

13 innings, 6 hits, 0 HR, 7 BB, 14 K, 1.00 WHIP, 1.38 ERA

Impressive numbers by all four of those guys, especially Guevara.

Btw, not to change the subject at hand but I have a question I posted in the sticky on top of the page that never got answered. Do any of you know if any of the newspapers that cover the Reds actually do the ENTIRE farm system? Like maybe in a Sunday edition or something?
    Benzinger backing and calling! And the 1990 world championship series belongs to the Cincinnati Reds!

Quote Originally Posted by Tommyjohn25
    Impressive numbers by all four of those guys, especially Guevara.

Btw, not to change the subject at hand but I have a question I posted in the sticky on top of the page that never got answered. Do any of you know if any of the newspapers that cover the Reds actually do the ENTIRE farm system? Like maybe in a Sunday edition or something?
    I don't believe so. I wish the Enquirer would put a little more effort into covering the Reds farm system.

BTW, I believe all of Medlock's walks came in the first week of the season, including four in one inning. He's usually a guy that will throw strikes, so you can probably chalk up those walks to him pitching on back-to-back days for the first time possibily in a long time, considering he was a starter the last two years.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

I think Medlock has done an outstanding job since being converted to a reliever. I am sure it played with his head a little at first, always being a starter.

While not at AA, Abe Woody is humming a bit down in Sarasota after a rough start. He was a interesting late pick we overpaid for a bit so he would leave college. Somebody else to keep a eye on in the future.

Turn Off Ads?