Turn Off Ads?

Thread: future 1 st baseman?

part of BBN

future 1 st baseman?

when reading most of your posts they concern joey votto.a power type guy who k's alot.
    my question is why isnt guiterrez ever mentioned?
    i dont know alot about him but one scouting report on him said he was an rbi machine.it said he "would" get runners home.last season he had 25 rbis in 100 ab's which would project to a 100 rbi season.
    so is jesse a long time minor leagurer or what?is he too old to be considered a prospect or does votto just have better upside?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: future 1 st baseman?

He's 27 and just hitting AAA, sounds like career minor league to me.
    Go Gators!

Votto has a bigger upside, more power and better BB rate. Plus Guiterrez being out all of last season coupled with the fact he was already old for the level doesnt help his stock either.

If you're gonna keep you're eye on a Guiterrez keep it on Tonys Guiterrez (High A) who hit for average last year and whose frame suggests he'll eventually hit for power too.
    Last edited by Elam; 04-18-2006 at 07:21 PM.

Votto is cherished on these boards as a "Dunn" type of hitter. When he struggled in high A last year after a smashing 2004 in Dayton, people had panic attacks.

I would say Votto has a fairly good ceiling with plate discipline, though, like Adam, he will K some. Votto and Dunn may finally drive Marty off to retirement

Guiterrez, has been the oldest "prospect" every step along the way. I read about him in a sports illustrated as a face in the crowd a long time ago. He hit like 5 homers in a double header once in high school or college if I remember correctly, He was like 19 as a high school senior.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

My guess is that next year's first baseman will be either Griffey or someone who's not in the Reds organization right now.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

As for the future, I've said it before, and I'll repeat it now, remember the name Ben Mummy.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

What ever happened with Rob Stratton? I see he is a starting OF for Louisville.... Wasn't he primarily at 1st last year in ST? His name has sure fallen off the radar.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TexasRed
    What ever happened with Rob Stratton? I see he is a starting OF for Louisville.... Wasn't he primarily at 1st last year in ST? His name has sure fallen off the radar.
    He tore a tendon in his foot and that pretty much derailed last year. He's playing in Louisville now, but working to get his buzz back.

There was a lot of concern that he stopped striding with a new batting stance, and that the foot injury was a result of that odd stance -- I don't remember much more than that.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Stratton was also a reserve outfielder in ST last yaer and much of his career has been in the outfield. I think the REDS did play him at 1B once or twice but the reports were that he had no idea what he was doing defensively at 1B.

Quote Originally Posted by savafan
    As for the future, I've said it before, and I'll repeat it now, remember the name Ben Mummy.
    The same guy that hit .209/.331/.324 in Billings last year and is already 21 years old? It looks like the Reds don't think much of him considering he didn't start the year out in a full season league.

But he has that cool name.
    Go Gators!

What about Ben Broussard. I think he would fit quite nicely. Granted he's basically a polished up version of Hatteberg at the plate, will be 30 yrs. old in september and isn't an impact player. But he's a solid defender (career .992 fldg %), gives you some pop (30 Dbls and 19 HR's in '05 in 466 AB's) and he won't break the bank (2.48 million this year). And I figure this guy might end up having a better career later in his life than earlier. I think he's good for 3 yrs. or so at around 2 mill a year.

This then gives us some time to find that ideal replacement or perhaps to even platoon him with Votto eventually. If he gives us a .260 avg. 25 hr's and 30 dbl's a year w/ solid defense for around 2-3 mill a year, that my friends is an absolute steal.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Edited...didn't realize this post by Mario-Rijo was serious. Thought it was yet another man crush on Ben Broussard.

Turn Off Ads?