Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Will Brandon Phillips take a walk this year?

Re: Will Brandon Phillips take a walk this year?

I'm loving this hot streak as much as anyone, BUT BP DOES have a history of poor plate discipline. Hopefully that is something that he's willing to work on as the season wears on.

As for now, though, keep swinging that sweet stick, BP!!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Actually he does not have a history of not taking walks. He averaged about 40 BB per 500 ABs at buffalo the last couple years. While that is not great, it is acceptable given everything else he brings. The problem with his approach however has been swinging for the fences rather than spraying the ball as he can.

He'll get his walks. I am not worried about that. He is just seeing better pitches in this lineup than he did with the tribe a few years back.

Quote Originally Posted by icehole3
    yes he is, click on RBI and he'll jump right out in your face

I found him,thanks ice.

Another thing I like about him (and a reason he may not walk much) is the fact that dude absolutely CROWDS the plate when he hits. This gives him a lot more plate coverage to be able to effectively hit some pitches that may be a bit out of the zone. Conversely he has the bat speed to get around on some inside heat.
    Benzinger backing and calling! And the 1990 world championship series belongs to the Cincinnati Reds!

I don't like his plate discipline. But, what I do like from what I have seen is his ability to recognize a curveball and nail it. The Brewers have fed him breaking balls all weekend and he has hit them hard.

Then, he jacks a three run homer off the best fastball in the NL today.

He reminds me quite a bit of Soriano with his swing.

Turn Off Ads?