Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: If the Reds need to acquire a pitcher for a playoff run, who goes?

If the Reds need to acquire a pitcher for a playoff run, who goes?

I would say Griffey, Dunn, or Freel.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: If the Reds need to acquire a pitcher for a playoff run, who goes?

Its about to get ugly in here. I would edit ur post and take out Dunn.

I would say about anyone other than Dunn, Lopez or Encarnacion. But I believe there are going to be a lot of moves even before the deadline

I don't think we need to worry about this until July. Plus, if the Reds are in contention at that point, a couple of minor league prospects may be available to deal (the Reds may have a few by then).
    Where we gonna go?

Quote Originally Posted by Shaknb8k
    Its about to get ugly in here. I would edit ur post and take out Dunn.

I would say about anyone other than Dunn, Lopez or Encarnacion. But I believe there are going to be a lot of moves even before the deadline
    I'm not saying who should but who would.

I think Freel, Kearns and LaRue are the most viable candidates. If Kearns keeps playing at his current level, he can fetch a good young pitcher at the trading deadline.

I just think it's telling that for all of Dunn's accomplishments (and yes there are many as much as I do bash him), the Reds were only able to lock him in for two years. Is he going to become overpriced? Do they see holes in his game that make them unwilling to commit much more to him at this time?

If we are in the play-off run why are we trading Dunn?????

And if we are gearing up for the play-off run aren't we going to be buying from bottom-feeder teams. If that's the case why would Griffey be attractive to them?

If we are in the hunt, guys like Homer/Votto (and other prospects) would be the main trade bait. I wouldn't do anything crazy because this likely wont be the big WS year.

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

You gotta stay the course and not blow your load just b/c you think you might make the playoffs for 1 year. The Reds don't have those kinda resources, so they need to maintain the status quo. If we're still contending in July, then you really just need to see what we have in surplus (right now catchers and utility infielders) and move some of that. We did that with WMP b/c at the time we had a surplus of OF, so it made sense to move an OF to get an arm back. If we're still looking similar to this roster in July, then you have the choice of Ross/LaRue/Valentin and then Womack/Aurillia/Hatteberg/Freel.

University of Cincinnati

You guys may be forgetting something about griffey....If we are in contention he's going to veto any trade that he may be in.....
    THE University of Cincinnati

I heart Freel, but his trade value is never going to be higher.

I'd be cool with a LaRue trade if we could get a couple decent arms in return. Even if they were advanced AA arms if they were really good.

LaRue's worth that to a contender, isn't he?

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor
    I heart Freel, but his trade value is never going to be higher.
    Right. And not at the deadline. RIGHT NOW. That's part of the problem with this club, is that it sits on its commodities while they rot.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer
    Right. And not at the deadline. RIGHT NOW. That's part of the problem with this club, is that it sits on its commodities while they rot.
    And especially with Griffey coming off the DL on Friday and Brandon Phillips needing everyday playing time to develop, at this point in his career.

Ryan Freel is a man without a position, and at a point in his career where his trade value has nowhere to go but down.

Trouble is, who has pitching to give up?
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer
    Redszone and diehard fans know the Reds aren't going to compete this year. Most of the paying fans don't. I doubt any organization in baseball would have that kind of guts.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

Quote Originally Posted by Cedric
    Redszone and diehard fans know the Reds aren't going to compete this year. Most of the paying fans don't. I doubt any organization in baseball would have that kind of guts.
    I think you're assuming I'm saying this will be a white-flag trade. On the contrary. I'm saying trade Freel for pitching that can help us now (plus a high end prospect).
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Turn Off Ads?