Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: If the Reds need to acquire a pitcher for a playoff run, who goes?

Re: If the Reds need to acquire a pitcher for a playoff run, who goes?

But Freel is "the man without a spot" I think even casual fans would not be upset with him going, although Phillips leading off reeks of a good way to get him to start struggling.
    Go Gators!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer
    I think you're assuming I'm saying this will be a white-flag trade. On the contrary. I'm saying trade Freel for pitching that can help us now (plus a high end prospect).

Hellllllo Oakland.
    "But I do know Joey's sister indirectly (or foster sister) and I have heard stories of Joey being into shopping, designer wear, fancy coffees, and pedicures."

Freel is the kind of scrappy that Beane loves
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor
    Trouble is, who has pitching to give up?

That's the key. The Reds need a partner for a "baseball" trade. Surplus relief pitcher for a leadoff guy. I don't see a viable starting pitcher unless we package Larue or Kearns with Freel. Unfortunately most teams are unwilling to make this kind of trade so early. Gotta see what shakes out first.

My feeling is that a trade may happen in a month, but not before, and if one were to occur before, we would not be happy with the results. The Reds wanting to trade when other teams need to be talked into it does not bode well for a good trade for the Reds.
    Thank goodness for baseball.

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed
    But Freel is "the man without a spot" I think even casual fans would not be upset with him going, although Phillips leading off reeks of a good way to get him to start struggling.
    Perhaps a bit off subject but has anyone else noticed that the 7 hole seems to be a rocking chair spot in this line up? Kearns was a world beater in that spot and now Phillips is. Meanwhile Kearns seems much more human in the 5th hole.

Anybody have any explanations or theories why the 7 is seems to be such a good spot in this order?

Oakland is one of a few teams that I could see fitting here. Most teams wouldn't be willing to give up much for Freel because they undervalue him, much like O'brien and Narron did. Teams believe he can't go everyday.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PickOff
    That's the key. The Reds need a partner for a "baseball" trade. Surplus relief pitcher for a leadoff guy. I don't see a viable starting pitcher unless we package Larue or Kearns with Freel. Unfortunately most teams are unwilling to make this kind of trade so early. Gotta see what shakes out first.

My feeling is that a trade may happen in a month, but not before, and if one were to occur before, we would not be happy with the results. The Reds wanting to trade when other teams need to be talked into it does not bode well for a good trade for the Reds.
    Aside from Adam Dunn and Edwin Encarnacion, there isn't a single guy in this organization above the A level that I wouldn't consider moving if the right deal came along.

The guy the Reds should be looking to move along with Freel in order to maximize return on a trade, IMO, is Joey Votto. Adam Dunn's longterm future is at 1st base, whether the organization is going to admit it to themselves or not. That means Votto is out of a job in a year where, if he continues to rake at AA, he could be expected to get his first cup of coffee in the bigs. A packaged trade of Freel, LaRue, and Votto could set up interesting possibilities of a multi-team deal that brings the reds back prospects or a major league pitcher.

It might be too soon with him, though (Maybe let him have a full year of big-time play so that BA can trumpet him up in next year's prospect book)- but he's an intriguing trade chip at the Reds disposal.
    Championships Matter.
    24 Years and Counting...

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor
    Aside from Adam Dunn and Edwin Encarnacion, there isn't a single guy in this organization above the A level that I wouldn't consider moving if the right deal came along.
    I'm with you. It would be hard to imagine the Reds getting commensurate value for Dunn or EE and you need Dunn as an anchor. Since Dunn is clearly a 1baseman, moving Votto makes very good sense.

Krivsky knows he needs to trade for pitching, it is just a matter of when. Hopefully, he will be able to maximize the return. With Big Bob's mandate to win sooner rather than later, I'm not sure he would trade for prospects, however. Not until Bob is convinced the Reds can compete. Bob wants to get butts in the seats now so he can generate the revenue to make Cincy a perenial contender.
    Thank goodness for baseball.

Hygiene Beyond Reproach ThatPitchIsDunn's Avatar

Would the Mets have any interest in Freel? Matsui isn't exactly revered in Shea as of late; his wild inside the park homers aside. I'm not sure who exactly we could package to get Aaron Heilman (maybe Valentin/Freel?), but it seems to be the Mets only big question mark is at 2nd, and Lord knows we have plenty of those.

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by ThatPitchIsDunn
    Would the Mets have any interest in Freel? Matsui isn't exactly revered in Shea as of late; his wild inside the park homers aside. I'm not sure who exactly we could package to get Aaron Heilman (maybe Valentin/Freel?), but it seems to be the Mets only big question mark is at 2nd, and Lord knows we have plenty of those.

I'd be interested to see the price from the Reds for Aaron Heilman. He's not even starting for the Mets, and he's easily better than Milton or Williams. I'm sure the Rangers could use an upgrade over Jimenez at 2B, but last time I checked they don't really have much to offer in the pitching department.

Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21
    I'd be interested to see the price from the Reds for Aaron Heilman. He's not even starting for the Mets, and he's easily better than Milton or Williams. I'm sure the Rangers could use an upgrade over Jimenez at 2B, but last time I checked they don't really have much to offer in the pitching department.

John Danks, Thomas Diamond, Edison Volquez, Eric Hurley(who I think could be beter than the DVD trio in TX).. They have some good pitching prospects..

Also Armando Galaragga sent to them in the Soriano trade..
    "I hate to advocate chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone... But they've always worked for me."

-Hunter S. Thompson

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by cincyinco
    John Danks, Thomas Diamond, Edison Volquez, Eric Hurley(who I think could be beter than the DVD trio in TX).. They have some good pitching prospects..

Also Armando Galaragga sent to them in the Soriano trade..

Would any of those prospects be ready for 2007-2008 at the latest? I'd say roughly by 2008, it needs to be go time for these Reds, or else they'll never compete. I'm just scared that if we start to collect "prospect", they'll never pan out.

I'd move any single player on the roster for Dontrelle.
    "Don't trust any statistics you did not fake yourself."--Winston Churchill

Could it be argued that right now, the team has a bigger need in getting better bullpen arms than starters?
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

White Castle to the Nile Crash Davis's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21
    I'm sure the Rangers could use an upgrade over Jimenez at 2B, but last time I checked they don't really have much to offer in the pitching department.
    How long is Kinsler out? As soon as he gets back, he's the starting 2B of the present & future.

I can't see them trading one of their blue chip arms for a rental 2B.
    "I fought because I understood and could not bear to understand, that it was my destiny -- unlike that of my father, whose fate it was to hear the roar of the crowd -- to sit in the stands with most men and acclaim others. It was my fate, my destiny, my end, to be a fan."

Turn Off Ads?