Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Do you guys think Brandon Phillips is for real, and if he is....

Do you guys think Brandon Phillips is for real, and if he is....

Could this be one of those cases where a former prospect who was suppose to have it all but just didn't pan out suddenly breaks out with a change of scenery?

And! If so would you move....Freel to the Tigers for Fernando Rodney to be our closer?

I like Freel and I know he is a valuable player for the Reds, but the bottom line is some players are going to have to go if the team is going to get pitching and get back to being any kind of contender.

The Tigers signed Todd Jones to a big contract so he is going to be their closer as long as he comes back healthy anyway.

I'm sure Freel could start over Craig Monroe who I believe the Tigers are starting in left right now.

If I could get a decent starter for Freel I would rather go that way and try to move Todd Coffey into the closer role eventually, but I haven't really looked at any deals for starters yet. I just happened to think about the Freel/Rodney deal when Phillips exploded on the scene and Jones came off the DL.

Whatta ya think?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Do you guys think Brandon Phillips is for real, and if he is....

As highly regarded as Brandon Phillips was coming up through the minors, I'm going to believe he is for real until he proves me otherwise.

A fresh start and a spot everyday in the lineup can do wonders for young kids, and we're seeing it with Brandon.
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

Who knows? I don't think there is much chance he can keep up at his current pace, but I think he can be a very good second basemen for the Reds.
    "I saw Wedding Crashers accidentally. I bought a ticket for Grizzly Man and went into the wrong theater. After an hour, I figured I was in the wrong theater, but I kept waiting. Thatís the thing about bear attacks. They come when you least expect it."-Dwight K. Schrute

I'll believe it when I see it. He's going to have to put up a full season of solid play to make me believe the past couple years of sucking weren't a total mirage. If he can do it, great, I'm just not sure he can.

This happens more often than not. The "rejected" guy feeling a groove.
    Talk to me in September.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

I absolutely believe that this guy is for real. He was in the majors at 21. He is 5-tool. His only weakness is a low oba. He doesn't walk very much. I think what we are seeing is what this kid is going to do for a long time.

Krivinski did a great job in getting Phillips.

This now gives the Reds Dunn, Kearns, Encarnacion, Phillips, and Lopez. This is a solid, young group of players.

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Red Daddy
    Krivinski did a great job in getting Phillips.
    Wayne's cousin?

I've always been a fan of Brandon Phillips from his days in the Montreal system... His "breakout" could very well be legit.. but I'm holding my enthusiasm until he does this for more than a week or two. Lets see how he holds up over the course of the year before proclaiming him part of the young nucleus.

As for the trade idea.. I'm hesitant.. Rodney has really only had 1 good year - and that was last year. Before that two years of 6+ ERA's. If I'm Krivsky, I'd target a guy like Zumaya from the Tigers instead. And I'm not sure Detroit would trade him. But thats the kind of value I place on Freel. He's better than a Rodney in a trade IMHO.
    "I hate to advocate chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone... But they've always worked for me."

-Hunter S. Thompson

I don't think so. He swings at everything. Those guys get hot from time to time, which he is right now. But sooner or later pitchers figure out that they don't have to throw them strikes and they return to their old performance. I hope I'm wrong, but until he exhibits some patience at the plate, I won't believe what we're seeing now is the real Brandon Phillips. I think he's benefitting quite a bit from coming up with lots of runners on base when he's seeing a lot of strikes.

He's doing well now b/c teams are throwing him strikes and challenging him. His success will be determined by what he does when they stop.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

Don't know the answer for the Long term but I would ride the wave for the moment
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

It's too early to completely judge this guy, but what has Phillips done that would make me not want to like him? And I would never want to trade Freel. He is a complete pest on the bases, and his presence works wonders in our lineup.

Phillips has never really taken a lot of walks... but he hasn't alway's K'd a ton either.. His K rate is not obscene.
    "I hate to advocate chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone... But they've always worked for me."

-Hunter S. Thompson

Phillips is gonna walk about 45 times in 500+ at bats. If he can hit even .280 with his speed/defense he is a valuable player for this team.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

Quote Originally Posted by OldRightHander
    Wayne's cousin?
    no, he was this guy's cousin from Da Bears -

Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Turn Off Ads?