Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: So, You're Scared To Drive Across The Bridge?

Re: So, You're Scared To Drive Across The Bridge?

I believe the I-71 bridge is called the Jeremiah Morrow Bridge.

It's a running joke in our family, every time we drive over it, I say "did you know this is the tallest bridge in the world?". And my kids say "oh reeeeaaalllly" (which goes back to me saying back in the day "I can't remember if this is the tallest bridge in Ohio, in the US, or in the world?").

We laugh at really stupid stuff.

And to try to get on topic, I saw a Mega Structures episode on TLC/Discovery Channel that described the building of the Millau Viaduct. It was quite the engineering and construction challenge.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Future Reds All Star

Quote Originally Posted by Heath
    The Sunshine Skyway in Florida says

Also, please don't remember to visit the Chesapeake Bay Bridge & Tunnel!

Went across the skyway 2 years ago when in Florida. It was really cool! Bridges don't scare me much which is a surprise because I am not thrilled with heights! If I feel safe I am fine I guess. I will ride any rollercoaster also.

We went to Palm Springs a good 12 plus years ago. We took a drive up the mountains. TB has pictures of me on my stomach taking my own pictures. No guard rails or anything in the scenic pull off spots. Scared the crap out of me!! I wouldn't get within 10 feet of the edge without being down on my stomach! I think in the back of my mind it might have something to do with me not being one of the most graceful people in the world

Now the other 2 pictures...they look a bit scary!

The current Sunshine Skyway is a piece of cake, even for a bridge-phobic like me. The old, however, was TERRIBLE. And got even worse after the collapse of the one span.

On that fateful morning of May 9th,1980 at 07:38 , during a violent rain squall producing high winds and almost zero visibility the empty phosphate freighter SUMMIT VENTURE piloted by Captain John Lerro slammed into the #2 South pier ( over 700 feet from the center of the channel ) of the southbound (1970) span , it knocked 1261 feet of center span, cantilever , approach and roadway into Tampa Bay. Thirty-five people , most of them on board a Greyhound bus bound for Miami plunged 150 feet to their deaths in what is now one of the worst bridge disasters in history. Rescue crews and divers were immediately dispatched to the scene, but of the victims who made the fall there was only one survivor , whose truck had luckily landed on the deck of the SUMMIT VENTURE
    After the fatal accident, traffic was rerouted onto the two-lane northbound span, until the planning and completion of the new SUNSHINE BRIDGE which opened in April of 1987.
    Will trade this space for a #1 starter.

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

I love the skyway. It's one of those things that you get a thrill going over no matter how many times you've already done so. Awesome piece of work.

I generally don't mind bridges but the bay bridge from Oakland to SF is a little scary, earthquakes and all.
    School's out. What did you expect?

Quote Originally Posted by pedro
    I generally don't mind bridges but the bay bridge from Oakland to SF is a little scary, earthquakes and all.
    Eh.... I myself don't care for the San Mateo bridge, long 4 lanes, no breakdown, water level.

And that earthquake thing too....

Walking across the GG is somewhat odd too.

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner
    I love the skyway. It's one of those things that you get a thrill going over no matter how many times you've already done so. Awesome piece of work.
    It's a gorgeous bridge, I've only been across a few times but it's a treat.

The scary parts are the LONG approaches right above the water
    Go Gators!

Turn Off Ads?