Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So, You're Scared To Drive Across The Bridge?

So, You're Scared To Drive Across The Bridge?

Last edited by GAC; 09-08-2006 at 06:44 PM.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: So, You're Scared To Drive Across The Bridge?

That's a mock-up, right? Where the hell is that supposed to be? And why would you entertain building such a thing?
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Certainly looks like a bridge I saw a few months ago on "mega structures"
    Go Gators!

You would have to get me completely *explitive* faced drunk, knock me out cold with a club and throw me in the trunk for me to even entertain the idea of driving across that monster.
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer
    That's a mock-up, right? Where the hell is that supposed to be? And why would you entertain building such a thing?
    A buddy emailed it to me.

The Millau viaduct is part of the new E11 expressway connecting Paris and Barcelona, and features the highest bridge piers ever constructed. The tallest is 240 meters high, and the overall height will be an impressive 336 meters, making this the highest bridge in the world.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

It's done now
    Go Gators!

I'd kinda like to drive on it. Just for the experience.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

Quote Originally Posted by GAC
    The Sunshine Skyway in Florida says

Also, please don't remember to visit the Chesapeake Bay Bridge & Tunnel!

Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

The skyway bridge is great, because on both ends you can see parts of the old bridge, that collapsed into the bay after being hit by a boat
    Go Gators!

That's comforting.

I hate loathe bridges as much as Puffy loathed the Randa signing.
    Will trade this space for a #1 starter.

I like cable stayed bridges, hope they pick such a design for the Brent Spence replacement.
    Go Gators!

For a Level Playing Field

Quote Originally Posted by creek14
    I hate loathe bridges as much as Puffy loathed the Randa signing.
    You and me both, creek. I'd have to say it is my biggest fear... other than floating in open waters and seeing a school of sharks heading my way. I get very tense when "just" driving over the Ohio River in Cincy. I have been over the Mackinaw Bridge many of times, but never was driving. The bridges in the pictures here are scary stuff in my world!!

Quote Originally Posted by Heath
    The Sunshine Skyway in Florida says

Is that the one just south of Tampa/St Pete? I think it goes over to Bradenton (sp?).

I've driven over it a few times. Quite impressive.

We were told, while down there back in the early 90s, that that bridge has been hit twice by ships... and that both times it was the same harbor pilot.

When the Silver Bridge went down back in the 60's (connects Gallipolis to Point Pleasant), I had an uncle that got caught at the traffic light on the Ohio side (didn't make the bridge), and then watched it go down. Wow! talk about having someone looking over you.

And I remember in high school watching footage of the Tacoma Bridge going down. Looked like a rubber band twisting and turning. The film footage showed a guy getting out of his car and trying to get off. Never knew if he made it or not. Wild stuff to watch.

Here's some video of it. But I think you have to have Quicktime Player to view it...

http://www.camguys.com/bridgeclpse.html

And isn't there a stretch of bridge on 71 north of Cincy that goes over a pretty deep gourge. I read somewhere years ago where they hired Native Americans to work on it, who had no aversion to working at such heights.
    Last edited by GAC; 04-24-2006 at 09:23 AM.

Is that the one just south of Tampa/St Pete? I think it goes over to Bradenton (sp?).
    Yep -sure is the one - hit once in '80 - that was the "big one".

And isn't there a stretch of bridge on 71 north of Cincy that goes over a pretty deep gourge. I read somewhere years ago where they hired Native Americans to work on it, who had no aversion to working at such heights.
    The Little Miami Gorge Bridge is highly impressive from the part that you can see from Ft. Ancient. If you get off at 123 and 71, turn onto SR 350 East. You can see it from the road. Its wierd that something that high is in Ohio.

New River Bridge north of Beckley WV on US 19 is scary. Its a bungee jump haven on "Bridge Days".

FWIW - here's a picture of the "Big Mac" bridge in Michigan.
    Last edited by Heath; 04-24-2006 at 09:20 AM.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Turn Off Ads?