Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Simulcast anyone?

Simulcast anyone?

What does everyone think about the Reds going to a simulcast for their radio/tv broadcasts? I would like to see Marty along with Chris Welsh and get rid of Steve Stewart. I would like George Grande for Reds Weekly and Real Reds.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Simulcast anyone?

TV and radio are two different animals. Radio pbp doesn't translate well to tv.

And besides, I like Stewart much better than Chris Welsh. He should be Marty's eventual replacement.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

In my opinion Welsh is ten times better than Stewart. Stewart shows no passion for the game and is too boring too listen to. Welsh on the other hand knows the game inside and out and is very entertaining to listen to. Simulcasts have become somewhat popular as the Buffalo Sabres currently do it and the LA Lakers have for years.

Stewart, Marty, and Welsh are fine.

Problem is George

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Fazio
    Simulcasts have become somewhat popular as the Buffalo Sabres currently do it and the LA Lakers have for years.
    Neither team plays much baseball.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

What does everyone think about the Reds going to a simulcast for their radio/tv broadcasts? I would like to see Marty along with Chris Welsh and get rid of Steve Stewart. I would like George Grande for Reds Weekly and Real Reds.
    Yuk!

For one thing, I like Steve Stewart... a lot.

For the second thing, radio and TV broadcasting are totally different. On the the radio, they need to tell you what happening... every pitch, every defensive play. On TV, they don't have to tell you much of anything, which is why they talk a whole lot more about the players... which I also like.

But it's different and could never be simulcast effectively.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

In my opinion Welsh is ten times better than Stewart. Stewart shows no passion for the game and is too boring too listen to. Welsh on the other hand knows the game inside and out and is very entertaining to listen to. Simulcasts have become somewhat popular as the Buffalo Sabres currently do it and the LA Lakers have for years.
    This was certainly the chief complaint of several in regard to Steve the first season he was here (I was not one of them).

Have you listened to him lately? To say he shows no emotion is absurd. To say he is boring is also absurd.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

I really like Chris Welsh as a broadcaster -- he's professional, knows a lot about the game, and has an extremely smooth delivery.

However, I think Steve Stewart has been great this year. He's funny, offers good insight, and he's called a fantastic game thus far. I wasn't a big Steve fan until this year, but he's done a great job and is starting to win me over. If you haven't given him a fair listen this year, give it a try. And, to be honest, I don't notice the lack of "jock" in presence the radio booth at all (then again, it's not like Joe was offering much insight into playing the game anyway). I think the notion that a good sports broadcast requires some athlete up in the booth is ridiculous anyway.

Welsh has a great gig where he's at -- I'll bet if you asked him, he'd say he was quite happy doing TV. They do almost as many games as radio, but they get the occasional day off, which must make the job a lot more enjoyable.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

IMHO Steve is the best pbp guy the Reds have. Be it radio or tv.

I like Steve Stewart. He's a good PBP guy.

FWIW, Vin Scully does a simulcast too.
    School's out. What did you expect?

I like Vin..you can tell when it's simulcast, he describes stuff that camera isn't looking it..it's great
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by tixe
    TV and radio are two different animals. Radio pbp doesn't translate well to tv.

And besides, I like Stewart much better than Chris Welsh. He should be Marty's eventual replacement.
    Chris Welsh drivers me crazy. He wouldn't know an adverb if it fell off a shelf and hit him in the way. Everytime he uses an adjective where an adverb is calle for, I'm saying, "You went to St. X for God's sake, you know how to use proper English!". Even this Moeller grad knows that!

I concur about Steve. I'm coming to like him more and more, particularly having stepped into a difficult situation replacing an icon, particularly one who could question players on the post-game show without ever actually asking a question!

I think Stewart has grown into the job nicely, and now look forward to when he is on the mic.

I could not disagree with the original post more...

Turn Off Ads?