Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Keith Hernandez: 'Women Don't Belong In Dugout'

Keith Hernandez: 'Women Don't Belong In Dugout'

http://www.wnbc.com/sports/8953324/detail.html

SAN DIEGO -- New York Mets broadcaster Keith Hernandez's comment that women "don't belong in the dugout" drew criticism Sunday from San Diego Padres manager Bruce Bochy, who supported the female member of his training staff and said he was surprised her gender even came up.

Hernandez made the remark during the second inning of New York's 8-1 victory in San Diego on Saturday night. Mike Piazza homered for the Padres and exchanged a high-five in the dugout with 33-year-old Kelly Calabrese, the Padres' massage therapist.

"Who is the girl in the dugout, with the long hair?" Hernandez said. "What's going on here? You have got to be kidding me. Only player personnel in the dugout."

Hernandez found out later in the broadcast that Calabrese was with the Padres training staff.

"I won't say that women belong in the kitchen, but they don't belong in the dugout," Hernandez said.

Hernandez, a former Mets first baseman and "Seinfeld" guest star, then laughed and said: "You know I am only teasing. I love you gals out there -- always have."

Bochy said before San Diego's 7-4 win over New York on Sunday that he did not hear what Hernandez said but was told about it -- and was not amused.

"Kelly is a part of this ballclub," Bochy said. "She's a part of the training staff. I don't know the actual comments, I just heard about it, but she's been here for a while and played a major role with this club in getting guys ready to play a ballgame."

Calabrese said she was flabbergasted by Hernandez's comments.

"It amazes me that somebody of that caliber that has obviously played the game before and is in front of an audience of millions of people would say something like that," she said of Hernandez. "It's a little shocking. But you know what -- it happens. He not only discredited me as a person, but he discredited women."

Calabrese then walked down the hallway to the Padres training room and joked, "Should I go in the kitchen now?"

Hernandez had no comment after the game but said during the second inning of the broadcast Sunday that he was sorry if he offended anyone.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Keith Hernandez: 'Women Don't Belong In Dugout'

He's Keith Hernandez.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar

blame it on the magic loogy
    Can't win with 'em

Can't win without 'em

"No play for Mr Gray"

"Women don't belong in the dugout."

Isn't that what Hernandez used to say to Gary Carter?
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

Reeee-jected!
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

For a Level Playing Field RedFanAlways1966's Avatar

33-year-old Kelly Calabrese, the Padres' massage therapist.

"Kelly is a part of this ballclub," Bochy said. "She's a part of the training staff. I don't know the actual comments, I just heard about it, but she's been here for a while and played a major role with this club in getting guys ready to play a ballgame."
    Okay... I'll ask: Does she give massages to players IN THE DUGOUT DURING GAMES? Or does she do the massage thing before and after games? I assume that the Pads have a regular trainer on the bench (ala Larry Starr for the older crowd). If the answer to question #1 is no, then she has no reason to be in the dugout IMO (her work is done in the clubhouse).

But, to deflect the PC-crowd (if that is possible!), I do not know. If she does work in the dugout while the game is taking place, then she has every right to be there. If not, then she (like the GM of a team) has no right to be in the dugout during the game.

Sounds like Hernandez' comment was made without knowing the answer to question 1. So that makes him (drum-roll, please)... politically incorrect.
    Small market fan... always hoping, but never expecting.

Quote Originally Posted by RedFanAlways1966
    But, to deflect the PC-crowd (if that is possible!)
    Why do you HATE women???

"Nice game, pretty boy."

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

RFA- It's good to know some things never change.
    If you're watchin' a parade, make sure you stand in one spot, don't follow it, it never changes. And if the parade is boring, run in the opposite direction, you will fast-foward the parade. --Mitch Hedberg

I agree, she has no place in the dugout....

Passion for the game Team Clark's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedFanAlways1966
    Okay... I'll ask: Does she give massages to players IN THE DUGOUT DURING GAMES? Or does she do the massage thing before and after games? I assume that the Pads have a regular trainer on the bench (ala Larry Starr for the older crowd). If the answer to question #1 is no, then she has no reason to be in the dugout IMO (her work is done in the clubhouse).

But, to deflect the PC-crowd (if that is possible!), I do not know. If she does work in the dugout while the game is taking place, then she has every right to be there. If not, then she (like the GM of a team) has no right to be in the dugout during the game.

Sounds like Hernandez' comment was made without knowing the answer to question 1. So that makes him (drum-roll, please)... politically incorrect.
    I have been on two teams that have had women as Asst. Trainers. Never an issue. She is probably a lot more qualified than what they have let on. I can't think of ANY reason why she would not be allowed on the bench. It's not like she's giving hitting tips and if she is... good for her. I'd love to hear what Katie Feeney or Kim Ng has to say about this.

Rick Stowe does all of his work behind the scenes and you can't watch a game on Fox without seeing him sit on the Reds bench. I personally do not care for Rick but I would not have a problem, nor should anyone else, with him sitting on the bench during a game.
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

Quote Originally Posted by BigDonkey44
    I agree, she has no place in the dugout....
    She SHOULD be doing the laundry if she knew was was good for her...

*running away*

JUST KIDDING!

Is it fair to say that Keith Hernandez is now more famous for his appearances on Seinfeld than anything he did on the baseball field?
    For every action there is an equal and opposite criticism.

I think Keith Hernandez needs to engage his brain *before* speaking instead of afterwards.

Pay attention to the open sky

Turn Off Ads?