Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Should the Reds take a chance on a knuckleballer?

Re: Should the Reds take a chance on a knuckleballer?

Does Dickey qualify as a knuckleballer? I was under the impression he rarely throws the pitch.

Anyway, I'd sign Fernandez in a heartbeat. Knuckleballers are almost always better once the heat and humidity rise. And does anyone know if the White Sox would be interested in the veteran presence of guys like Tony Womack or Quentin McCracken?
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by M2
    Does Dickey qualify as a knuckleballer? I was under the impression he rarely throws the pitch.

Anyway, I'd sign Fernandez in a heartbeat. Knuckleballers are almost always better once the heat and humidity rise. And does anyone know if the White Sox would be interested in the veteran presence of guys like Tony Womack or Quentin McCracken?
    Fox did a feature on him during ST where he said he was shifting and from now on he would be an exclusive knuckleball pitcher. He worked quite a bit, supposedly, with Charlie Hough in the off season getting some of the nuances down.

I'm telling you, I'd love to see a knuckleballer on this staff.

Even if he's just used in the long relief/spot starter role.

They're great for double headers, and games with an exhausted pen.

Of course there's the small detail that today's catchers are afraid to catch them.........Deal with that later.
    "We know we're better than this, but we can't prove it." - Tony Gwynn

With 12 guys why not have a knuckle guy?

How bout the knuckle closer?
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by wheels
    I'm telling you, I'd love to see a knuckleballer on this staff.

Even if he's just used in the long relief/spot starter role.

They're great for double headers, and games with an exhausted pen.

Of course there's the small detail that today's catchers are afraid to catch them.........Deal with that later.
    Jared Fernandez should sue Jason Larue for damages to his career. Fernandez pitched reasonably well for the Reds until that debacle of a game where Larue couldn't catch his knuckler to save his life. Fernandez never pitched for the Reds again.

I like Larue and feel that his defensive shortcomings are overblown. However, his stabbing style of catching just won't work with a butterfly ball.

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

RA Dickey by the way, wasn't claimed on waivers and is now again with AAA Oklahoma for the Rangers

http://www.dfw.com/mld/dfw/sports/14440987.htm

Turn Off Ads?