Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Baseball's Mount Rushmore

Ex-Tree

Baseball's Mount Rushmore

A writer for ESPN.com has an interesting article that discusses the most influential/significant college basketball players. I'm wondering if baseball had its own Mt. Rushmore, who would you put up there and why. You can name your favorites, or those who you think are somehow significant. Here's mine:

#1 Jackie Robinson
    Great athlete. Not only a great baseball player, but an outstanding football and track performer as well. Oh yeah, and he played a small role in the civil rights movement.

#2 Sandy Koufax
    The definition of excellence. Dominated (briefly), but also knew when to walk away. In a way, he's like a celebrity who died young. In your mind, he never went through the painful decline that most of our heroes suffer.

#3 John Bench
    Redefined the catcher's position in every way. Great athlete. Even though he's a HOF'er, it seems that injuries kept him from even greater accomplishments.

#4 Eric Davis
    In his youth, he was so much fun to watch. I have no doubt that injuries kept him out of the HOF. Despite this, his ability to overcome all of his setbacks makes him even more special in my opinion.

Who is on your Mt. Rushmore?
    Semper Ubi Sub Ubi

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Baseball's Mount Rushmore

Babe Ruth and Branch Rickey are two definites.

EDIT: Thought more about the other two, and in preliminary thinking I've chosen Ted Williams and Hank Aaron.

The above list is subject to change, and probably will change, as there needs to be some influential 19th century member among the four, but I'm not yet sure who to pick.
    Last edited by Cyclone792; 04-24-2006 at 06:37 PM.
    Barry Larkin - HOF, 2012

Put an end to the Lost Decade.

Man Pills

Eddie Gaedel

Ex-Tree

Don't you think Eddie comes up a bit short?
    Semper Ubi Sub Ubi

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Babe Ruth

Josh Gibson

Ted Williams

Walter Johnson

Ruth, Mays, Walter Johnson, and Theodore Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer
    Eddie Gaedel
    Of note the uniform Eddie wore was the bat boys uniform... that bat boy was Bill DeWitt Jr. Current owner of the Cards and former owner of the Stingers and builder of US Bank Arena.

If it's baseballs Mt Rushmore can we build it on sacred land too?

Rickey/Ruth/Aaron/Fidrych

Rickey for the changes he brought to the game, Ruth for the changes he brought to the game, Aaron as the represenitive of the era of change and for his longevity and excellance, Mark Fidrych to remind us of fun and the fleeting moment of success and fame in the game.

Man Pills

Alright, I'll play seriously.

Aaron, Ruth.

Okay, there aren't two other figures who can match those two. Everything else is such a severe dropoff, it seems kind of pointless.

Everything else is such a severe dropoff, it seems kind of pointless.
    Branch Rickey probably did more for the game than any 10 men combined.

Man Pills

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou
    I guess I was operating under the assumption that we were looking for players.

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer
    Alright, I'll play seriously.

Aaron, Ruth.

Okay, there aren't two other figures who can match those two. Everything else is such a severe dropoff, it seems kind of pointless.
    I disagree. Lou Gehrig, the Iron Horse, the luckiest man on the face of the earth..

Hey may not be there becuase of his numbers, but his story... for me its always been a big part of my getting to know baseball... its legendary in its own right.
    "I hate to advocate chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone... But they've always worked for me."

-Hunter S. Thompson

Ruth, Hank, Jackie, and Branch Ricky sounds about right. If you can throw a 5th then Kennesaw Landis, just because I like the idea of a guy named after a mountain being on the side of a mountain.
    "But I do know Joey's sister indirectly (or foster sister) and I have heard stories of Joey being into shopping, designer wear, fancy coffees, and pedicures."

Babe, Hank, Pete, Cy

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Cincinnati Bengals - None
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

J. Robinson, Ted Williams, Walter Johnson and a blank space to give modern-day players something to aspire to.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou

Speaking of Branch Rickey, I just noticed that they are releasing a revised edition of a biography on him that came out nearly 25 years ago. I haven't read the original, but I am looking forward to the release of this one. Here is the amazon link. I hope this is not considered spam.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/078...g=UTF8&s=books

Turn Off Ads?