Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reds' Outfielder Continues Whiffing Woes (4-25-87)

Reds' Outfielder Continues Whiffing Woes (4-25-87)

April 25th in Reds' History

APRIL 25, 1987...The next Willie Mays? Well,...…maybe. After whiffing four consecutive times in yesterday's eleven-inning game, Reds' center fielder Eric Davis whiffed five consecutive times in today's ten-inning contest.

(Davis’ problem is just temporary. The 24-year-old center fielder will soon set a National League record for his total of 19 homers on the season through the month of May)

APRIL 25, 1969...Reds' veteran Jim Maloney mows downs the expansion new San Diego Padres with a complete game four-hitter as Cincinnati wins in San Diego, 4-1. The Reds have now won five of the last six games and have won all four games that Maloney has started this season.

The Reds got on the scoreboard in the third inning when rookie shortstop Darrell Chaney scored from second base on Pete Rose's liner into right field. Padres' right fielder Ollie "Downtown" Brown, currently equipped with the best throwing arm in the big leagues, saw the hustling Rose trying to stretch the single into a double. Brown fired a strike to second base to gun down Rose for the Reds' third out. Chaney scored ahead of the play for the Reds' first run. Reds' catcher Johnny Bench supplied a towering three-run homer in the fourth-inning off Padres’ starter Tommie Sisk. First baseman Nate Colbert homered in the ninth-inning for the lone San Diego run.

APRIL 25, 1969...How DO these rumors get started? The latest rumor from Los Angeles has Reds' lefty Gerry Arrigo going to the Los Angeles Dodgers for three players! The Dodgers are in need of starting pitching after placing Don Drysdale on the disabled list. Arrigo, who is trying to recover from a sore arm, has yet to pitch in a game this season! Reds’ GM Bob Howsam is busy denying the rumor.

APRIL 25, 1977...The Reds kept the scoreboard operator busy by scoring 23 runs in the first five innings of a 23-9 victory over the Braves in Atlanta.

Reds' slugger George Foster finished the game with two HR’s, a single, a double, five runs scored, and seven RBI's. Catcher Johnny Bench came away with two singles, a double, and a home run. Bench and first baseman Dan Driessen drove in four runs apiece. Reds' starter Jack Billingham picked up the win and is now 3-0, despite giving up five earned runs and seventeen hits in tonight’s eight innings of work.

Braves' starter Phil Niekro, who gave up six runs and failed to make it out of the first-inning, picked up another loss. The veteran knuckleballer is now 0-3 on the season.

Last edited by LINEDRIVER; 04-25-2006 at 10:18 AM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Reds' Outfielder Continues His Wiffing Woes (4-25-87)

Did people throw a fit about Davis k'ing so much?

I don't know, I was all of 6 at the time

Thanks LineDriver
    Go Gators!

As with many of their ballplayers, the Cincinnati fans loved and hated Eric Davis. Now, in his dotage, they love him totally. He was such a fine ballplayer.

And Jim Maloney! I once emailed Marty during a game when they were talking about him and asked how much better the Reds would have been in the early 70's in the surgical procedure was know was "Jim Maloney surgery" instead of Tommy John. Maloney's same injury came a few years too early. He was something else and might be a Hall of Famer were it not for that injury.

April 16, 1970...Longtime hard-throwing Reds' starting pitcher Jim Maloney suffers a ruptured Achilles tendon when running from the batter's box after hitting a ground ball to Dodgers' shortstop Maury Wills. Nineteen-year-old lefty Don Gullett replaces Maloney on the mound. Gullett, appearing in his third big league game, throws five innings of three-hit shutout relief and picks up his first big league win. Gullett also makes his first big league plate appearance in the fifth-inning and draws a walk from pitcher Bill Singer before stealing second base. In the sixth-inning, Gullett hits a triple off lefty Freddie Norman to pick up his first big league hit. Reds 12, Dodgers 2, at Crosley Field.

Maloney made his next appearance on September 4, 1970. He appeared as a reliever in four games before finally returning to the mound as a starting pitcher in his last appearance as a Reds' player on September 20, 1970 against the Braves in Atlanta. In that game, he allowed 8 runs on 6 hits and 6 walks in 4 innings of work and was tagged with the loss. The 29-year-old author of three no-hitters would never win major league game. Maloney was traded to the California Angels for pitcher Greg Garrett on December 15, 1970.
    He started 4 of his 13 games with the Angels in 1971 and was released in January, 1972. He was signed by the St. Louis Cardinals but was released before the 1972 season got underway.
    Last edited by LINEDRIVER; 04-25-2006 at 10:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by LINEDRIVER
    April 25th in Reds' History

APRIL 25, 1987...The next Willie Mays? Well,...…maybe. After whiffing four consecutive times in yesterday's eleven-inning game, Reds' center fielder Eric Davis whiffed five consecutive times in today's ten-inning contest.

(Davis’ problem is just temporary. The 24-year-old center fielder will soon set a National League record for his total of 19 homers on the season through the month of May)
    On a side note, the majority of those whiffs came against Mike Scott(300+ Ks in 86 and 233 in 87) and Nolan Ryan(270Ks in 87), probably the two best strikeout pitchers in the game at that time.

Scott was the king of the scuffball(he called it a splitter) at the time, it's where Ryan learned his "changeup".
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

You are so right flyer85. Scott whiffed Davis 3 times Friday night and Larry Andersen got him once. The next day, Ryan struck him out 3 times before Larry Andersen and Dave Smith rang him up one time apiece. Things were a bit different in the Sunday game at the Astrodome. Davis went 3-for-4 with NO strike outs against starter Bob Knepper and relievers Aurelio Lopez and Charles Kerfeld.
    Last edited by LINEDRIVER; 04-25-2006 at 10:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by LINEDRIVER
    April 16, 1970...Longtime hard-throwing Reds' starting pitcher Jim Maloney suffers a ruptured Achilles tendon when running from the batter's box after hitting a ground ball to Dodgers' shortstop Maury Wills. Nineteen-year-old lefty Don Gullett replaces Maloney on the mound. Gullett, appearing in his third big league game, throws five innings of three-hit shutout relief and picks up his first big league win. Gullett also makes his first big league plate appearance in the fifth-inning and draws a walk from pitcher Bill Singer before stealing second base. In the sixth-inning, Gullett hits a triple off lefty Freddie Norman to pick up his first big league hit. Reds 12, Dodgers 2, at Crosley Field.
    I always heard it was a shoulder injury, and baseball-library.com alludes to this injury and a should injury. I hunted down an Enquirer story from earlier this year about some "what if's" regarding player's injuries. Here's what they wrote about Maloney:

On April 16, 1970, at Crosley Field, the 29-year-old Maloney - a pitcher who threw three no-hitters who is still the Reds' all-time leader in strikeouts - ruptured his left Achilles' tendon in the third inning when he left the batter's box to run out a ground ball.

How much sooner would the Big Red Machine have started winning World Series titles had Maloney stayed healthy and in the rotation? The Reds probably would have come a lot closer in 1970 and might have won it all in 1972, to go with their consecutive titles in 1975 and '76.

Re: Reds' Outfielder Continues Whiffing Woes (4-25-87)

Jim Maloney

On a Bennie he took before his start.

"That thing makes me feel like I drank 14-15 beers, in a good way"
    124 pitches later in the fifth inning he was done.

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed
    Did people throw a fit about Davis k'ing so much?

I don't know, I was all of 6 at the time

Thanks LineDriver
    I think more than anything, people were so distracted by the constant comparisons and references to Willie Mays that it was impossible for Davis to ever be recognized for what he was: Cincy's best baseball player during the 80s. He was absolutely mesmerizing. I'd never seen anyone play centerfield like that before, and have seen very few since. He almost seemed like he was perfectly built for the turf, racing to the gap, using the hard turf for his throws (like Davey C. and Larkin at shortstop), bounding off the walls to rob would-be homers. Just amazing.

I do think the criticism of Dunn today is similar to that of Eric the Red during his prime.

I have been a Reds fan for over 35 years and Davis is still the most talented player I have ever seen that played for the Reds. He had everything you wanted in a ballplayer;speed,power and defense. Injuries cut short what would have been a Hall of Fame career.
    Someone on this board told me that Maloney's career came to an end because of an achilles injury. His career ended just as I became a fan so I don't remember him. But if he had been healthly I'm sure the BRM would have been even better which is almost unimaginable.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynRedz
    I think more than anything, people were so distracted by the constant comparisons and references to Willie Mays that it was impossible for Davis to ever be recognized for what he was: Cincy's best baseball player during the 80s. He was absolutely mesmerizing. I'd never seen anyone play centerfield like that before, and have seen very few since. He almost seemed like he was perfectly built for the turf, racing to the gap, using the hard turf for his throws (like Davey C. and Larkin at shortstop), bounding off the walls to rob would-be homers. Just amazing.

I do think the criticism of Dunn today is similar to that of Eric the Red during his prime.
    Eric's problem was that he just couldn't stay healthy. Was it body type? Bad Luck? Who really knows but it certainly cut short a brilliant career. Watching him run was something as well as the power from that skinny build.
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

If he would have just had another 10 or 15 pounds I wonder how much that would have affected his game at all. He was so fraile at times and I wonder if it had anything to do with him being so lean. One of the quickest bats ever though in his prime.
    I'm East of you. Be very very worried. Not quite OBX. But, be worried.

Haunted by walks

Eric Davis invented a play where the centerfielder covers second. Not a shift, he just had that much speed and range.

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85
    Eric's problem was that he just couldn't stay healthy. Was it body type? Bad Luck? Who really knows but it certainly cut short a brilliant career. Watching him run was something as well as the power from that skinny build.
    Excellent point. Never surpassed 135 games in any season.

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85
    Eric's problem was that he just couldn't stay healthy. Was it body type? Bad Luck?
    I've always thought that he just kind of played too well for it to last -- or played too hard, rather. He just had no inhibitions and no fear about making a play any way he could, and that was bound to catch up to his body. Of course, it's the job of any centerfielder to make the play without thought to the consequences to the body -- it's not like they have much time to mull over their options out there -- but he seemed to have a bit more talent and speed and one degree extra fearlessness. Intangibles, if you will. So he got hurt, badly and a lot. Had he been even slightly more cautious, he may have had a much longer, very good career, but maybe without some of the flashes of brilliance we saw.
    Last edited by vaticanplum; 04-25-2006 at 11:50 AM.

Turn Off Ads?