Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Would You Do This Deal For Marlins' Willis?

Would You Do This Deal For Marlins' Willis?

Something to chew on:

Florida trades LHP Dontrelle Willis for RHP Homer Bailey, OF Chris Denorifa and RHP Elizardo Ramirez.

If you're both teams, would you do it?
    If you think small, you'll go nowhere in life.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Would You Do This Deal For Marlins' Willis?

If the Reds sent a gun with the three players the Marlins GM would shoot himself in the head after he came down.

that's an incredibly lopsided trade.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

Maybe the Marlins would do it because they would be getting three young prospects, with the potential of Homer Bailey being the number one pitcher the Marlins would be losing in Willis. However, if I'm Krivsky, there's no way I would do it. With Junior, Mercker, Weathers, and Hatteberg getting older, you must surround the team with young prospects, especially Bailey and Ramirez. No deal.
    Reds record while I was in attendance in 2006: 7-2
    Reds record while I was in attendance in 2007: 2-0
    Reds record while I'm in attendance in 2008: 0-1
    "I wish the stadium was filled up every night." - Bronson Arroyo, Cincinnati Enquirer - February 9, 2007

From a Reds perspective, no. Homer Bailey has #1 type stuff, Denorfia could be a very solid OFer, and Lizard has the stuff to be a Harang type pitcher down the road.

I look at it as the Reds potentially trading 30-35 wins for 18-22 in a couple of years. I say no.
    "I saw Wedding Crashers accidentally. I bought a ticket for Grizzly Man and went into the wrong theater. After an hour, I figured I was in the wrong theater, but I kept waiting. Thatís the thing about bear attacks. They come when you least expect it."-Dwight K. Schrute

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou
    If the Reds sent a gun with the three players the Marlins GM would shoot himself in the head after he came down.
    Such violence WOY! I see you must be watching the Sopranos.

Anyways, if Krivsky could acquire Willis without gutting the roster, this franchise could generate more excitement that hasn't been seen since 1999. Willis would give the club the frontline starter to go with Harang and Arroyo......something this club hasn't seen in a long time.
    If you think small, you'll go nowhere in life.

One and a half men Patrick Bateman's Avatar

No way the Fish do this, and no way the Reds turn it down.

Bailey's chances of becoming a #1 pitcher is about 1 in a hundred. If the Fish are giving up Willis they need a much safer return meaning a better chance of getting a future ace for him.

Denorfia's a nice player but he's no Dontrelle, and Lizard is still a very fringe prospect at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by guttle11
    From a Reds perspective, no. Homer Bailey has #1 type stuff.
    There have been a lot of pitchers with #1 stuff that never even came close to their potential. Willis IS a #1 Starter, and that is worth a lot more than a prospect that may be a #1 starter in the future if everything goes right. Bpttom line is teams would pay a lot more than that offer to get a pitcher with the porven success of Willis.

how many years till d train hits total free agency.........i'd want him locked up for few years......if he is at a decent price.....i'm all for this kind of deal....Willis has shown he is #1 type pitcher and he's young......not many of those guys around.....i agree with Austin K here.........no way the Reds would turn down this deal, if D train is locked up awhile..........

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

I'd do it if I was the Reds, sure. Willis is the type of pitcher Bailey will be if he's lucky, I don't think Ramirez is anything special, and while I like Denorfia, he's replaceable.

From the Marlins' perspective, probably not, unless they decide Willis has to go and that's the best offer on the table, and I doubt it would be if they actively shop him.
    Not all who wander are lost

Quote Originally Posted by MattyMo4Life
    There have been a lot of pitchers with #1 stuff that never even came close to their potential. Willis IS a #1 Starter, and that is worth a lot more than a prospect that may be a #1 starter in the future if everything goes right. Bpttom line is teams would pay a lot more than that offer to get a pitcher with the porven success of Willis.
    Maybe so, then I'd let them. I think Bailey is a 18-22 game winner for the Reds and Lizard could just as well win 10-15 games a year. That's 28-37 wins against the 18-22 Willis will give you.

To me, there's no question.
    "I saw Wedding Crashers accidentally. I bought a ticket for Grizzly Man and went into the wrong theater. After an hour, I figured I was in the wrong theater, but I kept waiting. Thatís the thing about bear attacks. They come when you least expect it."-Dwight K. Schrute

Quote Originally Posted by guttle11
    Maybe so, then I'd let them. I think Bailey is a 18-22 game winner for the Reds and Lizard could just as well win 10-15 games a year. That's 28-37 wins against the 18-22 Willis will give you.

To me, there's no question.
    18-22 eh?

Most since in the last 35 years.... doesn't look like a sure thing.

Code:
    WINS                          YEAR      W     
    1    Danny Jackson            1988       23   
    T2   Tom Browning             1985       20   
    T2   Jim Merritt              1970       20   
    T4   Jack Billingham          1973       19   
    T4   Jack Billingham          1974       19   
    T6   Mario Soto               1984       18   
    T6   Don Gullett              1973       18   
    T6   Pete Schourek            1995       18   
    T6   Tom Browning             1988       18   
    T6   Gary Nolan               1970       18

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou
    18-22 eh?

Most since in the last 35 years.... doesn't look like a sure thing.

Code:
    WINS                          YEAR      W     
    1    Danny Jackson            1988       23   
    T2   Tom Browning             1985       20   
    T2   Jim Merritt              1970       20   
    T4   Jack Billingham          1973       19   
    T4   Jack Billingham          1974       19   
    T6   Mario Soto               1984       18   
    T6   Don Gullett              1973       18   
    T6   Pete Schourek            1995       18   
    T6   Tom Browning             1988       18   
    T6   Gary Nolan               1970       18
    I didn't say it was a sure thing, because it's not. From what I have seen of Bailey, I'd liken him to Kerry Wood with good mechanics. Hard fastball and a great curve. He has the ability to become an 18-22 game winner. More so than any Reds pitching prospect since Browning, probably.

Tell me about it when Bailey has actually accomplished something.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

C-A-T-S CATS! CATS! CATS! WVRed's Avatar

Would I? Yes.

Would Florida? If you mean laugh in our face, then yes.

Add Edwin Encarnacion to the mix and you might have a deal.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Turn Off Ads?