Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Astros, White Sox... Best Records+Weakest Schedule

Astros, White Sox... Best Records+Weakest Schedule

(table)
    I've been hearing a little bit of rumbling about the Worlds Series pair and their ability to repeat on ESPN lately... what no one is mentioning is out of thirty teams the Astros are 30th in strength of schedule and the White Sox 29th.

Here is hoping we kick Houston's butt this week

Last edited by GullyFoyle; 04-26-2006 at 01:00 AM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Astros, White Sox... Best Records+Weakest Schedule

BTW... poor Pittsburgh is third. I think they'll do better eventually.

BobC, get a legit F.O.! Mario-Rijo's Avatar

Is that projected SOS over the course of '06, or SOS to this point in the season?
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Sorry... so far this season.

Astros can't have the toughest schedule, because to have the toughest schedule they would have to play themselves. As we know that can't happen. So I'm told by Astros fans.

The season all washes. Strength of Schedule doesnt matter at this point. What matters is after game 162. You still have to beat these teams and by beating them it makes their record worse this the low rating.

Dont you worry RBA, the Reds will get their crack at my Astros this weekend.
    Rabid Astros Fan !

Quote Originally Posted by GullyFoyle
    BTW... poor Pittsburgh is third. I think they'll do better eventually.
    I agree on Pittsburgh. Everybody is down on Pittsburgh for having a bad team. That team is going to surprise some people. They can hit, and their pitching will come around. They have been playing some really good teams lately.

Quote Originally Posted by Astrobuddy
    The season all washes. Strength of Schedule doesnt matter at this point. What matters is after game 162.
    That was Gully's point. The standings right now mean nothing at the end of the season, but the Astros have had an easier schedule that the other NL Central contenders. The schedule will be a wash by the end of the season, and the Astros will play tougher teams while the other teams play easier teams. It's no biggie. The Astros just seem to be playing better baseball than they actually are. It's just smoke and mirrors.

Cruisin' for trouble

Of note - five of the top ten in the RPI rankings are from the NL Central.

Chicago (1) .572
    St. Louis (3) .554
    Cincinnati (4) .550
    Houston (10) .516

Man Pills

Quote Originally Posted by MattyMo4Life
    That was Gully's point. The standings right now mean nothing at the end of the season, but the Astros have had an easier schedule that the other NL Central contenders. The schedule will be a wash by the end of the season, and the Astros will play tougher teams while the other teams play easier teams. It's no biggie. The Astros just seem to be playing better baseball than they actually are. It's just smoke and mirrors.
    I'd really advise against underestimating the Astros.

Quote Originally Posted by GoReds
    Of note - five of the top ten in the RPI rankings are from the NL Central.

Chicago (1) .572
    St. Louis (3) .554
    Cincinnati (4) .550
    Houston (10) .516
    I've said all along that the NL Central is probably the best division in baseball. I don't think Pittsburgh is going to flounder all season and Milwaukee is a continually improving ballclub.

By the way, SOS through now may level out, but my mantra since the season's onset has been that games we win now help later in the standings and I point to 1999 as emblematic of that. That team would have loved to have had one more victory in April that would have won the division in October.

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer
    I'd really advise against underestimating the Astros.
    I know I know...you've been picking them even before the season started.

I know our schedule seemingly gets easier now, doesn't it? Starting with this series against the pecker nats.

Man Pills

I pick them because last season they took an offense that had no business even being in the postseason all the way to the World Series.

That team genuinely proved something to me last season; they were MLB's Jason--they never died.

It's going to take a very different turn of events to suggest to me that they've "lost it" or "have an easy schedule."

I'm sure I'll be flamed for this, but I predict an Astros sweep of the Reds this series--all come-from-behind victories after early offensive outbursts by the Reds. I suspect the Cardinals will suffer a few losses to the Stros themselves in such a fashion with the likes of Brad Thompson, Braden Looper, Flores, Rincon, Hancock and their ilk tossing their slop.

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MattyMo4Life
    I agree on Pittsburgh. Everybody is down on Pittsburgh for having a bad team. That team is going to surprise some people. They can hit, and their pitching will come around. They have been playing some really good teams lately.
    Well, that would be the Cardinals, Astros, Reds (playing like a good team, at least), Brewers and Cubs (3-15 vs Central). Unfortunately for the Bucs, they are going to have to play those teams a whole lot more this season.

I don't think it's going to get better for the Bucs and they could lose 95 games or more. The club is a collection of position players with no special talent (except for Bay...and he's off to a so-so start) and young pitchers who are making the jump to the majors without being ready.

Oliver Perez has lost it. Randa is over the hill as is Burnitz. Duffy and McLouth are white Tike Redmans (w better OB skills, granted). Duke and Snell show promise, however.

They'll be better...in 2008. IF they clear out the chaff.

But they made a push to "compete" in 2006 and it ain't working. The best they can do is realize the mistake and try to get some value for what they still have (Jack Wilson, anyone?).

Buc fans can feel fortunate that it didn't take them until June to figure out that they weren't as good as the Astros and the Cards.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Turn Off Ads?