Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 10 Reasons Why David Ross Will Stay

10 Reasons Why David Ross Will Stay

But won't remain forever as our third-string catcher.

1. Reds hurlers have a cumulative 4.95 ERA with Ross catching vs. 5.37 ERA with Valentin and 6.58 ERA with Larue so far this season.

2. Ross has a career 7.53 range factor vs. 6.84 for Larue and 6.86 for Valentin.

3. Ross has posted a .376 caught stealing percentage, right up there with Larue's .393 and Valentin's .332.

4. Ross has allowed 12 passed balls in 1,156 innings played, a trend surpassing Larue's 65 passed balls in 5,078 innings and roughly comparable with Valentin's 19 passed balls in 2,297 innings.

5. The Reds are 5-2 in games Ross has started this season vs. 6-4 in Valentin's starts and 3-1 in Larue's.

6. Ross is 29, a year younger than Valentin, three years younger than Larue.

7. Ross has performed at the plate, as well as behind the plate. He has two homeruns and 4 RBI vs. no homeruns and 2 RBI for Valentin and Larue combined. His .OBP is higher as well, with a comfortable .261 BA and three walks in 26 plate appearances vs. Valentin's .261 BA and two walks in 48.

8. He earns less than half of Valentin's salary, about one-eighth of Larue's.

9. He's a Krivsky acquisition -- another link in the new GM's master strategy to shore up the Reds' woeful defense without costing the team an arm and a leg, preferably making it possible to obtain some arms while not compromising the Reds' vaunted offense.

10. Having both David Ross and Cody Ross on the Ross-ter should fuel some fan interest. Are these guys Siamese twins, even though one's from Georgia and the other from New Mexico? Could our future be looking any Ross-ier? Somehow or another, Pete Ros(s) ought to approve. Scrappy.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: 10 Reasons Why David Ross Will Stay

I agree with you. I think David Ross is here for a couple years at least. I'm not sure if it's LaRue or Valentine that will get moved, but I expect something to happen before next season, if Ross can play respectable enough to be a second string catcher (which he probably can).

Hatteberg was picked up to free up Wily Mo for Trade. I imagine Ross was picked up to give the Reds options to trade LaRue or Valentin.
    Thank you Walt and Bob for going for it in 2010-2014!

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

How much longer will the Reds carry three catchers? You have to think that they have something in the works now involving one of them. I'd think that LaRue would bring the most in a trade and given his salary would be the most likely to move. A Ross and Valentin combo behind the plate would work for me if we can get some bullpen help.

The next few weeks should be interesting.
    Last edited by BuckWoody; 04-26-2006 at 09:58 AM.

I really believe LaRue will be one to be traded. He has more value than Valentin and is a proven everyday starting catcher. He should bring a decent, although not a number one, starter in return.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

I honestly feel like Ross is gone with Griffey comes back. Either that, or they have a trade worked out for Valentin or Larue. I can't imagine them picking up that Ross from LAD for a PTBNL only to give him up via waivers a week later. Thats why I feel like the days of 3 catchers is over. Unless they are going to send a pitcher packing, which I can't see as long as Williams is on this staff you are subject to have at least 1 game out of every 5 that your BP will have to work 5 innings or more.
    I'm East of you. Be very very worried. Not quite OBX. But, be worried.

He sure could hit HalMorrisRules's Avatar

You might have missed the most important reason. He seems to be turning into Arroyo's personal catcher. I had noticed that he had been catching Arroyo but didnt know if it was intentional or if that was just how the playing time worked out but Monday night Marty was mentioning that all 3 catchers would start a game in the Nationals series and he said something like "and of course Ross will catch on Wednesday when Arroyo pithces." I am all for keeping Arroyo in rythym and if Ross helps him do that, then keep doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by HalMorrisRules
    You might have missed the most important reason. He seems to be turning into Arroyo's personal catcher. I had noticed that he had been catching Arroyo but didnt know if it was intentional or if that was just how the playing time worked out but Monday night Marty was mentioning that all 3 catchers would start a game in the Nationals series and he said something like "and of course Ross will catch on Wednesday when Arroyo pithces." I am all for keeping Arroyo in rythym and if Ross helps him do that, then keep doing it.
    Ross speaks dude so it's easier for them to communicate.

Sorry, but carrying someone to be a 'personal catcher' for a particular pitcher is not 'the most important reason'. It might be the silliest, however.

If Arroyo (or anyone else for that matter) can't pitch to whoever is behind the plate then they have a serious problem.

As for three catchers, as long as the Reds have Hattaberg on the team (who came up as a catcher) they don't really need the depth. Ross has been cut loose before ----he's not exacatly Johnny Bench. Valentin had a career year last year but can he repeat it at his age? LaRue is proven but getting up in years. Trade one if it will get you a 'plus' player to fill a hole but I wouldn't mind moving Hattaberg if it means moving Dunn to first and keeping Freel in the lineup. That basically moves Valentine into the backup first baseman slot and allows him to come off the bench to switch-hit in later innings.

Rem

Can he be stopped?

I would very much like to see Ross stay. He has shown good defense behind the plate, and has handled pitchers very well. While it may be silly for him to be Bronson's personal catcher, I DO want Bronson to have someone he is comfortable with. Bronson made a comment when LaRue caught him that he waved off LaRue a whole lot, and it was something he tended to do. IF Ross has a good rapport with BA then let him catch him so BA doesn't have to spend an hour waving off pitches. And let Ross catch BC.... I think it might help him a little if Ross is calling the game for him, I like how Ross works.
    Tom Shearn... who knew?

Reds reccord when I attend in 2007: 6-1

He sure could hit HalMorrisRules's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by remdog
    Sorry, but carrying someone to be a 'personal catcher' for a particular pitcher is not 'the most important reason'. It might be the silliest, however.

If Arroyo (or anyone else for that matter) can't pitch to whoever is behind the plate then they have a serious problem.
    Sorry, but as of right now, Arroyo is our steadiest pitcher and I clearly remember when he got traded that he said he needs to feel in sync with a catcher like he had been with Varitek and he needed that connection to feel comfortable. If he has started developing something along those lines with Ross I would hardly call it silly.

As for three catchers, as long as the Reds have Hattaberg on the team (who came up as a catcher) they don't really need the depth.
    This is one of those ideas you see on the internet like Matt Belisle as a starter. It makes sense, but I've never heard anyone from the reds talk along those lines. AFAI can tell, Hatteberg has as much chance of catching for the reds this year as I do.

Valentin had a career year last year but can he repeat it at his age? That basically moves Valentine into the backup first baseman slot and allows him to come off the bench to switch-hit in later innings.
    As to Valentin repeating last year's performance, he's 29 so it isn't a matter of age, but a question of if he hit in luck last year or if that's the real level of his ability. I don't know.

FWIW while nominally a switch hitter Valentin hits like a pitcher against lefties and should never go to the plate against one if the game is in doubt.

If that is his real level of ability, it shouldn't be that hard to find a platoon mate who can punish lefties a bit.

After watching him the last five years, my opinion of Jason LaRue agrees with what Arroyo saw this spring. I would rather have somebody else behind the plate.

According to Narron:

Ross is catching Arroyo, Valentin will catch Ramirez and LaRue will catch the other 3 starters.

Narron just said on the pre-game show that as long as Ramirez is up here that Valentin will be the one catching him, Ross is doing a great job catching Arroyo, and LaRue will get the other three.
    "...You just have a wider lens than one game."
    --Former Reds GM Wayne Krivsky, on why he didn't fly Josh Hamilton to Colorado for one game.

"...its money well-spent. Don't screw around with your freedom."
    --Roy Tucker, on why you need to lawyer up when you find yourself swimming with sharks.

And obviously I type too slow.
    "...You just have a wider lens than one game."
    --Former Reds GM Wayne Krivsky, on why he didn't fly Josh Hamilton to Colorado for one game.

"...its money well-spent. Don't screw around with your freedom."
    --Roy Tucker, on why you need to lawyer up when you find yourself swimming with sharks.

Sorry, but as of right now, Arroyo is our steadiest pitcher and I clearly remember when he got traded that he said he needs to feel in sync with a catcher like he had been with Varitek and he needed that connection to feel comfortable. If he has started developing something along those lines with Ross I would hardly call it silly.
    Would you prefer that I call you silly? : How many games has he pitched to LaRue? How does he develop a 'connection' if he doesn't try pitching to each catcher? One of these three catchers is likely to be gone by the end of the season. What if the one is Ross? Do we send Arroyo in the deal as well because now he can't pitch because he lost his 'connection'?

And that was the point of the post----one of these three guys is likely to be gone---and I can see reasons why to keep each of them as well as reasons to jettison each of them. But to keep someone as a 'personal catcher' on a team with as many needs as the Reds is well, you're right, it isn't silly, it's stupid.

Rem

Turn Off Ads?