Turn Off Ads?

Thread: The newest marketing ploy in sports.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

The newest marketing ploy in sports.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2421874

Kobe Bryant's fans might have to buy another jersey next season. That's because multiple sources have told ESPN.com that Bryant will change his number to 24 next season.

Kobe Bryant
    Shooting Guard
    Los Angeles Lakers

2006 SEASON STATISTICS
    GM PPG RPG APG FG% FT%
    80 35.4 5.3 4.5 .450 .850

Bryant began his career at Lower Merion High School in Ardmore, Pa., wearing No. 24. But by 1996 -- the year he led the school to the state championship -- he had switched to No. 33, the number his father Joe "Jelly Bean" Bryant wore in high school.

In order for a player to change jersey numbers at will, he either has to change teams or have the team inform the league of the decision more than six months in advance. Players who stay with the same team must have worn the same number for four seasons or longer. Sources say the Lakers informed the league of Bryant's wish to change his number by this year's March 3 deadline.

Calls placed to Bryant's agent Rob Pelinka and the Lakers were not immediately returned.

Over the past few months, Kobe Bryant's popularity has been on the rise again. His jersey was the fourth-best seller this season, up one spot from last year's position, according to sales at the NBA Store in Manhattan and on NBA.com.

When Bryant came into the league, he couldn't take the No. 33 because it had been retired seven years earlier by the Lakers in honor of Kareem Abdul-Jabbar.

Bryant arrived at the No. 8 for two reasons. It was the number he wore when he was a kid playing in Italy. It also tied into the number he wore at Adidas' ABCD Camp, 143. The numbers add up to 8.

Bryant's switch is the NBA's most significant jersey number change since the 1994-95 season, when Michael Jordan came out of retirement wearing the No. 45 for the final 22 games of the season. Jordan's No. 23 had been retired by the Bulls in his honor. For the next three seasons, Jordan went back to the No. 23.

League veteran Jim Jackson, who signed with the Lakers in March, now wears No. 24.

Six NBA teams have retired the number: the Boston Celtics (Sam Jones), Golden State Warriors (Rick Barry), Houston Rockets (Moses Malone), New York Knicks (Bill Bradley), Philadelphia 76ers (Bobby Jones) and Phoenix Suns (Tom Chambers).

Darren Rovell, who covers sports business for ESPN.com, can be reached at Darren.Rovell@espn3.com.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Re: The newest marketing ploy in sports.

I was amazed at the amount of Griffey #3 jerseys I saw at OD. Guess people are willing fork over more $$$ to buy stuff like that.
    For every action there is an equal and opposite criticism.

Quote Originally Posted by max venable
    I was amazed at the amount of Griffey #3 jerseys I saw at OD. Guess people are willing fork over more $$$ to buy stuff like that.
    I've never related to that type of thing. (shrug). Just seems silly to me for a grown person to walk around wearing a player's jersey (especially if they are a middle aged guy with a beer gut). Not to mention the prices that they pay to buy the jersey!

Rem

Quote Originally Posted by remdog
    I've never related to that type of thing. (shrug). Just seems silly to me for a grown person to walk around wearing a player's jersey (especially if they are a middle aged guy with a beer gut). Not to mention the prices that they pay to buy the jersey!

Rem
    I live in "LeBron territory" and you should see all the fat, white, sloppy guys who go around wearing LeBron tank tops.

Picture cousin Eddie from "Vacation" wearing an NBA jersey.

"Clark, that's the gift that keeps on giving the whole year."
    For every action there is an equal and opposite criticism.

Quote Originally Posted by max venable
    I live in "LeBron territory" and you should see all the fat, white, sloppy guys who go around wearing LeBron tank tops.

Picture cousin Eddie from "Vacation" wearing an NBA jersey.

"Clark, that's the gift that keeps on giving the whole year."
    If those guys were built like LeBron they wouldn't need a shirt at all.

Rem

Speaking of the NBA, beer guts and so on, I just saw the following note on another website:

While I was watching the NBA playoff games this week, my wife and I got into a conversation about life and death, and the need for living wills.

During the course of the conversation I told her that I never wanted to exist in a vegetative state, dependent on some machine and taking fluids from a bottle.

She got up, unplugged the TV and threw out all my beer.

Rem

Quote Originally Posted by remdog

Rem
    I like to run up to those guys and ask them for their autograph. Then I make a comment like, "Wow, Junior, you've really let yourself go."
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool
    I like to run up to those guys and ask them for their autograph. Then I make a comment like, "Wow, Junior, you've really let yourself go."

Rem

I had an Eric Davis #44 uniform top about 20 years and 40 lbs. ago.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Turn Off Ads?