Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Should Rich Aurilia play 3rd in late innings?

Voters
77. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, he's a veteran and knows how to play the game

11 14.29%
  • Yes, because Edwin is just not ready to handle the pressure of late innings

9 11.69%
  • Edwin needs to be out there for his bat too.

18 23.38%
  • Encarncion is a better defensively than Rich Aurilia and he should stay put

39 50.65%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Poll: Who Plays Third In Late Innings?

Poll: Who Plays Third In Late Innings?

For a few games now, Edwin Encarncion has been pulled in the late inning and Rich Aurilia been put in his place. Does this make any sense defensively?

Thank you

Comments are welcome.

Sorry for the typo; that last line should read: "Encarncion is better defensively than Rich Aurilia and he should stay put"
    Last edited by RBA; 04-26-2006 at 09:23 AM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Poll: Who Plays Third In Late Innings?

Defensively, no I don't think it does, but last night I thought it made sense since the pitcher was due to lead off the next inning. Narron could have replaced Phillips with Aurillia, though.

Sorry, I meant this to be in the Reds Live forum. But I'll just keep it here.

While Rich's range is a legitimate concern, until Edwin can more consistently keep his throws down, he'll continue to get pulled.

In terms of total bases, Rich's range(or lack there of) only costs the Reds one base(not getting to a base hit in the hole.)
    If EE airmails a throw, it costs the Reds 2 bases.
    When people say that I donít know what Iím talking about when it comes to sports or writing, I think: Man, you should see me in the rest of my life.
    ---Joe Posnanski

Quote Originally Posted by RBA
    For a few games now, Edwin Encarncion has been pulled in the late inning and Rich Aurilia been put in his place. Does this make any sense defensively?
    I don't know how many games this has happened but I do know that in at least two games this move was the result of a double switch, not hand-picking RA to replace EE late in the game merely for the sake of replacing him. Just luck of the draw (or lack thereof).
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

Quote Originally Posted by rdiersin
    Defensively, no I don't think it does, but last night I thought it made sense since the pitcher was due to lead off the next inning. Narron could have replaced Phillips with Aurillia, though.
    I'm sorry, but I dread Aurilia up the middle. Anyway, what's wrong with Phillips' defense? He's a very good fielder.

I like Rich a lot more this season than I did last year, but he's not a late inning defensive replacement.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Cincinnati Bengals - None
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

Quote Originally Posted by AvesIce51
    I'm sorry, but I dread Aurilia up the middle. Anyway, what's wrong with Phillips' defense? He's a very good fielder.
    Nothing. Did I say there was? It wasn't a statement about Phillips defense at all, but rather that he was last person to bat in the inning (EE second to last), i.e. it wasn't a defensive replacement. I like Phillips defense a lot.

Score Early, Score Often gonelong's Avatar

I think it's a stupid move for the long-run. EE needs to be out there late in the game, feel the pressure, and overcome it. To me that is something a person has to learn to some degree.

In the short-term I could probably argue either way, but I'd have EE out there.

GL

Phillips has great defense, but at that point in time of last nights game was he not 0 fer?

Why take EE's bat out of the lineup when Phillips could not get it going last night.

Game ended up too close last night to take your hottest bat out of the lineup, but I do see the defensive flip-side.
    Bowled 9 300 games, semi-retired!

Nothing like bowling a 300 game

Nothing. Did I say there was? It wasn't a statement about Phillips defense at all, but rather that he was last person to bat in the inning (EE second to last), i.e. it wasn't a defensive replacement. I like Phillips defense a lot.
    My bad I was thinking you were saying replace Phillips with Rich for defensive purposes.

Quote Originally Posted by Ohioballplayer
    Phillips has great defense, but at that point in time of last nights game was he not 0 fer?

Why take EE's bat out of the lineup when Phillips could not get it going last night.

Game ended up too close last night to take your hottest bat out of the lineup, but I do see the defensive flip-side.
    He had a sac fly (I know that is still an "0 fer", but a good and productive AB), and then he had a single in the 9th i believe.

You do defensive replacement on people who need it, Edwin does not.
    Go Gators!

Phillips "D" at 2B far surpasses anything Aurilia could dish up.
    Last edited by GAC; 04-27-2006 at 09:03 PM.
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed
    You do defensive replacement on people who need it, Edwin does not.
    I think everyone readily agrees that EE should be at 3B 99.9% of the time, and endure the growing pains (bad decisions) that go with it (8 errors in April).

But I've watched him make some very bad throws this year (and in the later innings) because of that immaturity.

I see no problem, in the late innings of a close game, and depending on who is pitching/who is A/B, of a defensive replacement at times, while he continues to learn.
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

Turn Off Ads?