Turn Off Ads?

Thread: MLB.TV Question

MLB.TV Question

Does anyone have a subscription to MLB.TV? If so my question is this. I have an IPOD w/video and since I am rarely home to watch the games on TV, I'd like to subscribe to MLB.TV and not really watch the games live but, download the condensed games the next day and then watch them on my IPOD. Is this feasable?

I see where they have the Digital downloads available to be purchased for 3.50$ a game but that just seems too expensive to me, and I was hoping that the Digital Downloads service was included in the MLB.TV subscription.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Re: MLB.TV Question

Digital Downloads are not included with MLB.TV. You can play back an archived stream of any game from this season, though.

If you want to go to the trouble, you could probably find software to record those streams and convert them into video for the iPod. It would take about twice as much computer time as the game is long to do that.

BTW, I've been meaning to mention this in a post at some point. MLB.TV is now compatible with MSN TV2. With this combination, I watch live games over my broadband Internet connection on my TV. It's cheaper than Extra Innings, the picture quality is very good and I don't have to put up with nuisance of a dish.

Thanks for the info, I guess it is too much to ask that a subscription service actually allow me to watch the games however I wanted to.

Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted
    Digital Downloads are not included with MLB.TV. You can play back an archived stream of any game from this season, though.

If you want to go to the trouble, you could probably find software to record those streams and convert them into video for the iPod. It would take about twice as much computer time as the game is long to do that.

BTW, I've been meaning to mention this in a post at some point. MLB.TV is now compatible with MSN TV2. With this combination, I watch live games over my broadband Internet connection on my TV. It's cheaper than Extra Innings, the picture quality is very good and I don't have to put up with nuisance of a dish.
    The picture quality over the computer is ok but it definantly isn't hi def. Is the picture quality better watching on your television?
    "...You just have a wider lens than one game."
    --Former Reds GM Wayne Krivsky, on why he didn't fly Josh Hamilton to Colorado for one game.

"...its money well-spent. Don't screw around with your freedom."
    --Roy Tucker, on why you need to lawyer up when you find yourself swimming with sharks.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Nd2
    The picture quality over the computer is ok but it definantly isn't hi def. Is the picture quality better watching on your television?
    The TV screen is much more forgiving than the computer screen because it has a lower scan rate and resolution. I'm quite satisfied with the picture quality. It's about on a par with a decent analog signal from a set-top antenna. For ~60 cents/day during the season, in a part of the world that would otherwise have about a dozen Reds games/year on TV, it's spectacular!

From a non-cable/directTV standpoint, its funny to me that in this day and age, the fans that have the hardest time catching a Reds game are the ones that live in Cincinnati.

Technology has sure made it a lot easier to catch a Reds game from abroad. Now if "technology" can just work on Cincinnati a bit. Right now its either, get cable or move out of town...

Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted
    The TV screen is much more forgiving than the computer screen because it has a lower scan rate and resolution. I'm quite satisfied with the picture quality. It's about on a par with a decent analog signal from a set-top antenna. For ~60 cents/day during the season, in a part of the world that would otherwise have about a dozen Reds games/year on TV, it's spectacular!
    Thanks. I checked it out but it seems a bit pricey considering that I would only use it to watch the games on the television.

Have you tried logging onto the games on your television and then logging onto the audio stream on your computer?
    "...You just have a wider lens than one game."
    --Former Reds GM Wayne Krivsky, on why he didn't fly Josh Hamilton to Colorado for one game.

"...its money well-spent. Don't screw around with your freedom."
    --Roy Tucker, on why you need to lawyer up when you find yourself swimming with sharks.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Nd2
    Thanks. I checked it out but it seems a bit pricey considering that I would only use it to watch the games on the television.

Have you tried logging onto the games on your television and then logging onto the audio stream on your computer?
    I didn't subscribe to the radio service this year and the freebie stations have gone away this season, so I haven't tried that. Listening to Marty makes me want to pull my own hair out, so it's actually better this way.

I do that sometimes with Ohio State football games. Listen to the audio on the computer and watch the game live on ABC or ESPN. I even delay the video with my DVR to make it match up with the audio.
    Last edited by Unassisted; 04-26-2006 at 06:25 PM.

Turn Off Ads?