Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Coaching Staff A Plus

Coaching Staff A Plus

Others can chime in, but I just finished reading a story on the Post's website about Elizardo Ramierez and how Mario Soto has been working with him on his changeup. I think Soto will prove to be an excellent addition to the coaching staff (in this case at Louisville).

I also mentioned Chris Chambliss working with Dunn and I continue to believe that Chambliss was an extremely good hire by the Reds and we're seeing it directly in the outstanding batting of this club.

I know I've read that Billy Hatcher is working the club on baserunning.

What are others thoughts about the coaching staff and how they're impacting the club. [And please, lets not have this fall into a harangue of Jerry Narron). I think we've got a pretty good staff and it's paying off in our record thus far.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Coaching Staff A Plus

I think our baserunning has improved greatly. Our guys are stealing in good situations and just making good moves. I can recall one baserunning mistake by Berry when he sent someone on a close play with no outs and he got nailed at home with Griffey and Dunn up next.

Take a look at Felipe so far, not a very fast runner, but he is picking his spots. 7 SB's (two backends of a double steals in there), 0 CS. We are 18/21 so far, which includes one dreadfully bad call on a Freel SB where he was clearly safe. Those numbers are outstanding. There are only two teams with a better %.

Can't argue Chambliss. We have the best offense in the NL, hands down.

I love having Soto here. I think the FB/Ch combo is the best in baseball. If he can help our guys develop that, it will be very impressive. I wish he were lower in the system teaching guys like Zach Ward and others in A-ball or even be down in post-draft camp in June and July to teach those guys a change immediately.

I like our coaching staff, minus Hume (as the pitching coach*). I wish he did know more about mechanics as Chris eluded to, he is more of an emotional and mental coach.
    Last edited by TOBTTReds; 04-26-2006 at 01:24 PM.

Yeah, your right. Especially with Chambliss. He's been preaching patience at the plate forever and the Reds are starting to listen. It it's great to hear an announcer for the opposing team say, " our guy has thrown 57 pitches already and it's only the third inning".

Tom Hume is a fantastic bullpen coach. Hands down.

He is not a pitching coach or about mechanics.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

I can see where the glovework and play of Lopez at SS has improved, I would assume credit goes to Bucky Dent.

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85
    I can see where the glovework and play of Lopez at SS has improved, I would assume credit goes to Bucky Dent.
    I noticed on the video clip of the Phillips Lopez double play that Felipe's footwork was a tiny bit off. I chalked some of that up to them only having worked together a couple of weeks. I commented to the guy here in the office that two months from now, that's a bang bang play and the guy's out by five steps instead of three.

Quote Originally Posted by Heath

I think the Reds are in a bit of a bind given the uncertain (or unknown) nature of Vern Ruhle's health. Tommy's clearly a stopgap, but will Ruhle be back or will they need to look elsewhere.

I'm not familiar with much of the minor league system's staffs. What do folks know about them and are we seeing anything different there?

Quote Originally Posted by Heath

And that has been concerning me as Ruhle's absence continues. Who is helping guys keep their mechanics on track?
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85
    I was going to say something similar. I would hope Bucky has helped out. That, combined with FeLo's experience are the reasons for his improvement. I would also expect the same thing to happen to EE over the next few years.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Passion for the game Team Clark's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AvesIce51
    I like our coaching staff, minus Hume. I wish he did know more about mechanics as Chris eluded to, he is more of an emotional and mental coach.
    Wow, I have yet to hear something like this. Hume is about as good as it gets when detecting flaws. Gullett was awful but got a lot of credit for his "suggestions". True, Tom is fantastic at getting guys prepared for a game but to say he is not good with mechanics is WAY off base. I'd like to hear Chris's comments. I have his personal e-mail and would like to hear his reaction to those comments.
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

Quote Originally Posted by Team Clark
    Wow, I have yet to hear something like this. Hume is about as good as it gets when detecting flaws. Gullett was awful but got a lot of credit for his "suggestions". True, Tom is fantastic at getting guys prepared for a game but to say he is not good with mechanics is WAY off base. I'd like to hear Chris's comments. I have his personal e-mail and would like to hear his reaction to those comments.
    Yeah, I kinda see it that way too. I say kinda because he may not be as good as it gets at detecting flaws, but to say he doesn't know mechanics is completely off base with the facts. I heard Chris's comments too, but I think he was talking more to his approach to when he visits the mound, not what he knows as a coach.
    Last edited by SeeinRed; 04-26-2006 at 12:33 PM.

Passion for the game Team Clark's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SeeinRed
    Yeah, I kinda see it that way too. I say kinda because he may not be as good as it gets at detecting flaws, but to say he doesn't know mechanics is completely off base with the facts. I heard Chris's comments too, but I think he was talking more to his approach to when he visits the mound, now what he knows.
    That makes sense to me. If you have to go to the mound and discuss mechanics something is really wrong. Having caught for over 15 years I know that most of the meetings on the mound are about pitch selection, defense or good old pep talks (includes butt chewins').

Hume has always been a behind the scenes guy. Fans would have no idea as to what work he does on a daily basis. For someone to say he knows or doesn't know something is baseless. I had the great fortune to know and work with Tom. He's the only guy in Baseball, that I know of or have even heard of, that everybody likes. Quality guy, quality teacher. Ruhle is pretty good too. Can't wait to see him back.
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

TC, I will conceed to you. I was just basing that comment off of Chris Welsh's comments. They could have been taken the wrong way though too.

The Reds lead all of MLB with 103 team BBs. The Red Sox and Dodgers are 2nd with 95.

The Reds are th 5th in MLB with 147 Ks, behind Atlanta (161), Milwaukee (158), Texas (157), and Florida (149).

The Reds are tied for first in total bases (346) with the Tigers and Indians.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Turn Off Ads?