Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Houston Pitching Matchup

Houston Pitching Matchup

Friday, April 28 Great American Ball Park | 7:10 PM ET

Roy Oswalt, RHP (4-0, 2.48)
    Astros (14-6) @ Brandon Claussen, LHP (1-2, 6.75)
    Reds (14-7)

Scouting Report:
    Oswalt was brilliant over seven innings against the Pirates on April 23, allowing one run on six hits in a 7-2 Houston win. Oswalt is 15-0 with a 2.41 ERA lifetime against the Reds. Last year, he was 4-0 with a 2.03 ERA. His career mark against the Reds is a Major League record for the most wins vs. one opponent without a loss.

Claussen will be looking to shake off Saturday's miserable outing at Milwaukee. With his pitches left up and over the plate, he allowed four of the Brewers' record-tying five fourth-inning home runs in an 11-0 loss. The left-hander put just three innings in the book with nine earned runs allowed on eight hits with three walks and three strikeouts. Despite having never beaten Houston, Claussen's got a respectable 2.65 ERA while going 0-3 in three games.

Saturday, April 29 Great American Ball Park | 1:15 PM ET

Andy Pettitte, LHP (1-3, 4.35)
    Astros (14-6) @ Aaron Harang, RHP (3-1, 4.55)
    Reds (14-7)

Scouting Report:
    Pettitte has had good success in his few starts versus the Reds. Lifetime, he's 2-1 with a 1.97 ERA over five games, allowing seven earned runs over 32 innings. Last year, he was 2-1 with a 1.80 ERA over three starts. He yielded four runs over 20 innings.

Harang is coming off a superb five-hit shutout of the Brewers in Sunday's 11-0 win at Miller Park. More remarkable was that the right-hander pitched on three days rest after Eric Milton was scratched with an injury a day earlier. Last season, Harang was 1-2 with a 3.33 ERA in four starts against Houston. Lifetime, he is 2-5 with a 4.87 ERA in 10 games.

Sunday, April 30 Great American Ball Park | 1:15 PM ET

Taylor Buchholz, RHP (1-1, 1.80)
    Astros (14-6) @ Elizardo Ramirez, RHP (1-0, 2.57)
    Reds (14-7)

Scouting Report:
    Buchholz was outstanding in his most recent start on April 22 versus the Pirates, throwing 8 2/3 shutout frames in a 3-0 Houston win. He would have logged a complete game had there not been a fielding error by Eric Bruntlett on the last play. Buchholz has allowed two earned runs over four outings (two starts) this year, spanning 20 innings.

Called up from Triple-A Louisville to make a spot start for the injured Eric Milton, Ramirez notched his first Major League win with seven strong innings in a 4-2 win over the Nationals Monday at RFK Stadium. Pitching into the eighth, the 23-year-old right-hander allowed two runs on six hits in seven innings with one walk and four strikeouts. He showed effective use of a recently honed changeup pitch taught to him in by Louisville pitching coach Mario Soto.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Houston Pitching Matchup

It looks like the only way the Reds win any of those games is to be incredibly patient and get to the bullpen. The best way may be to be trailing by 1 or 2 runs heading into the 9th and take our chances with the head case also known as Brad Lidge.

Reemember some of those great starts for Houston were against the Pirates.

Yes, Ross just hit a HR. woo hoo

Quote Originally Posted by Reds1
    Reemember some of those great starts for Houston were against the Pirates.
    Us too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

You know... I'm starting to get the feeling that I have more confidence in your team than you guys do. I expect the Reds to at least win 2 of the 3 games this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by MattyMo4Life
    You know... I'm starting to get the feeling that I have more confidence in your team than you guys do. I expect the Reds to at least win 2 of the 3 games this weekend.

My confidence is growing in this team, but not when they are up against Oswalt and Pettite.

Freel gets on the hard way

Well that's it..we're doomed
    Go Gators!

Here's to hoping we finally solve Oswalt!

Actually (though I can't find proof), I think the Reds beat AP last year.

For some reason, I can't find team stats... only player stats. Obviously, I'm doing something wrong.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

Falls City's thinking Astro Sweep.

I suck at predictions - here are "edge to"

Oswalt's just lights out. - Friday night - Astros.
    Harang's on a roll - Saturday night - Reds.
    Taylor Bucholtz is not JR Richard. Nor is he Mike Scott. One would think he would come back to earth. The Lizard's gonna have to pitch lights out - Sunday Afternoon - even.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Pettite is 1-3 this year, so it would suggest that he is beatable.

Doesn't matter how it comes, or against who...just concentrate on taking 2 out of 3.
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

Quote Originally Posted by redsfan30
    Doesn't matter how it comes, or against who...just concentrate on taking 2 out of 3.
    Take two out of every series, and I would venture to say that winning a division would be within reach.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Take two out of every series, and I would venture to say that winning a division would be within reach.
    Exactly! Reds are currently, 5-1-1 in series' for the '06 season.

Turn Off Ads?