Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Donald Fehr is coming to town

Re: Donald Fehr is coming to town

Didn't stop teams like the Bengals from not spending it all each year in the 90's

I don't think big owners care about that, they just don't want to help their competition.
    Go Gators!

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed
    I don't think big owners care about that, they just don't want to help their competition.
    Especially the ones that only got into the game recently and paid through the watoozis for the privilege. I don't think they're all that interested in leveling the playing field with the guys who only paid half as much for their teams.
    Not all who wander are lost

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed
    Didn't stop teams like the Bengals from not spending it all each year in the 90's

I actually think that the belief that the Bengals didn't spend money is a misconception. I don't have the past cap figures in front of me and don't have time to look it up right now, so I could be wrong, but I believe that the Bengals regularly spent up to the cap in the past. I think the real problems they had were twofold:

1. They were never willing to offer good free agents the back-loaded, cap-busting contracts that the 49ers, Cowboys, Titans, et. al. were offering. Mike Brown consistently stated that he wasn't willing to mortgage the future for short term gains in the present.
    2. They had this odd notion of extending the contracts of their own players, even if they had poor attitudes about the team, before seeking out free agents. Having a team full of overpaid guys didn't want to be there is no way to "run a railroad."
    Burn down the disco. Hang the blessed DJ. Because the music that he constantly plays, it says nothing to me about my life.

I recall the benglas were always proud each year that they were 5-10 mill under the cap, as if it was a badge of honor.

I may be remembering wrong, not a bengal fan, just what I thought was in the paper.
    Go Gators!

There's a lot of misinformation out there about the Bengals from the bad years, mainly because columnists tended to write the columns that implied that their own opinion was fact. Mike Brown has earned a reputation for being cheap, and rightly so in many ways (mostly skimping on facilities and perks for players). However, Mike Brown has historically been good about spending up to the cap. The problem is that he didn't spend his money very well. He has been extremely loyal to his own players, preferring to use cap money to resign those on the roster rather than bringing in better talent from outside. Often that meant overpaying for malcontents and underperformers who should have been allowed to test free agency. It also lead to the infamous "Pickens Clause," after Carl Pickens signed a contract with a big signing bonus and promptly began bad mouthing his way off the team.
    Burn down the disco. Hang the blessed DJ. Because the music that he constantly plays, it says nothing to me about my life.

Turn Off Ads?