Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Here is my oberservations from todays(4/26) game

Here is my oberservations from todays(4/26) game

Just got back a little while ago from RFK and thought I would give my observations of the game.
    This will most likely be the only game I will be able to see the Reds play in person but it was a good one. I had a ticket for a seat in the CF upper deck but sat in the 316 section which is just above field level behind home plate. You can't beat a seat that is normally $25 when you paid only $7 for it.
    Bronson Arroyo was sensational! He changed speeds on his pitches and kept the Nats off balance all day. Only two or three hard hit balls and the only hit was a serve into right field by Zimmerman. It helped too that Robinson played his B team today.No Guillen or Vidro but I think Arroyo would have shut them down anyway. What a pickup BA has been!
    The Home Run by Ross was a high majestic shot into the left filed seats. No doubt at all about it. Brandon Phillips actually had three and 0 counts two straight ab's. But still the elusive walks stays away. Freel is great in CF! One outstanding catch in the 7th,IIRC. It was as good a catch as you will ever see. He came from left center to right center to snag it. The Nats crowd gave him a nice ovation for his efforts. Freel has got to be in CF everyday when Griffey gets back. The Reds need to do whatever it takes to talk Dunn into playing 1b. The Reds with an infield of Dunn,Phillips,Lopez and EdE and an outfield of Griffey,Freel and Kearns along with the catching tandem is as good and solid of a lineup the Reds have had in quite sometime,IMO.
    Mercker was bigtime PO'd when he was taken out. I assume at himself. He went 3-2 to every batter he faced and was up to 35 pitches! He stomped off the mound and went straight down the tunnel. A couple of guys stuck their hand out but he went right past them.
    This was smallest crowd I was ever a part of at RFK. Only 19,000 announced attendance but was more like 14 or 15,000. Made it real easy getting out of the stadium and to the metro. The trains were not even packed like last year after a game. Channel 9 in DC is reporting that the Lerner Group will be the new owners but MLB is denying the report.
    Any day at the old ballpark is a great day and even more so when the Reds win!
    Reds Fan Since 1971

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Here is my oberservations from todays(4/26) game

Good job of reporting. Its good to know that an old vet like Merker still cares enough to get mad at himself.

Thanks for the report. It is much appreciated.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Very nice report, cumberland - very appreciated.
    I've noticed baseball has been continuing its long held (Selig) tradition of dragging its feet while deciding on the ownership of the ballclub. It would be so nice to have a commissioner who doesn't take 18 months to make a decision.

Quote Originally Posted by Mutaman
    Good job of reporting. Its good to know that an old vet like Merker still cares enough to get mad at himself.
    I was at the game too behind the Reds dugout and I thought he was PO'd because the Reds had a five run lead and two outs yet he was taken out anyway.

I will also note that Freel was impressive as well. He got to two balls I'm not sure Junior would have. Phillips did look like he was pressing at the plate for some reason.

I also feel that Dunn seems lathargic. Pregame as well as during. He was also notable upset that the sun would be in his eyes. He played well, getting three singles to the same spot, and he was PO'd that he struck out with the bases juiced.
    Thank goodness for baseball.

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds
    Channel 9 in DC is reporting that the Lerner Group will be the new owners but MLB is denying the report.
    They can deny it, but I have it from good sources that it is indeed true.

MLB couldn't drag their heals much more on this than they already have.
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

Quote Originally Posted by PickOff
    I was at the game too behind the Reds dugout and I thought he was PO'd because the Reds had a five run lead and two outs yet he was taken out anyway.
    Mooching off your girlfriend again, Pickoff?
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

Quote Originally Posted by registerthis
    Mooching off your girlfriend again, Pickoff?
    Me? Wouldn't dream of it.
    Thank goodness for baseball.

I just watched Arroyo's highlights on BBTN,what a nasty,filthy,curve to strikeout Royce Clayton.My jaw dropped when i saw that.

Thanks for the report
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by Jr's Boy
    I just watched Arroyo's highlights on BBTN,what a nasty,filthy,curve to strikeout Royce Clayton.My jaw dropped when i saw that.
    Did the BBTN crew have anything decent to say... about the Reds, not just Arroyo?
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

Quote Originally Posted by PickOff

I will also note that Freel was impressive as well. He got to two balls I'm not sure Junior would have. Phillips did look like he was pressing at the plate for some reason.

I also feel that Dunn seems lathargic. Pregame as well as during. He was also notable upset that the sun would be in his eyes. He played well, getting three singles to the same spot, and he was PO'd that he struck out with the bases juiced.
    I just assumed he was mad at himself but he could have been at Narron for pulling him. But I can't blame Narron for getting him. He went 3-2 to every batter and Vidro smoked a ball right at Freel in CF or it may have been worse.
    I meant to mention that Dunn hit the ball very well. His three singles were good,solid hits not dunkers into the outfield. I even heard some Nats fans mention that those were good, solid hits. In his last plate appearance he just missed on a pitch hitting it out as it went foul down the right field side. I think he was right on Rauch and you could tell he was ticked off when he struck out. I think he will back to normal this weekend.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Clayton couldn't hit a straight pitch. But Bronson did make Soriano look pretty silly with that nasty breaking pitch.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Rauch looked like he had good stuff. I wonder if that height intimidates hitters like Randy Johnson.

I was also under the impression that Merker was mad about being taken out given the 5 run lead and only 1 out to go.

Loved that catch by Freel. No way Griffey would have gotten there.

Reds left too many guys on base. I thought twice they should have sent the runner home with two outs. Neither of those guys scored.

Tidbit - my wife (a physical therapist) treated Vidro and Rauch last year, along with Jr. Smivey and another pitcher. Smivey was cool and gave me his bat.

He threw a nastier one to Marlon Anderson. Sucker broke a foot outside, then took off back across the other side of the plate. The ump was so baffled he ended up calling the ball, but even the Nats announcers were marvelling at that pitch and said it was obviously a strike.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Turn Off Ads?