Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Delmon Young

Re: Delmon Young

Here is a full story about what happened.

http://www.minorleaguebaseball.com/a...milb&fext=.jsp

Tampa Bay Devil Rays top prospect Delmon Young is facing a potentially lengthy suspension after throwing his bat at an umpire's chest during Wednesday night's game at Pawtucket.
    The Durham Bulls outfielder, listed No. 1 on most prospect lists, including MLB.com's, took a called third strike from Pawtucket's Jon Lester in the first inning of the International League contest. Following the strike call, the No. 1 overall pick in the 2003 draft refused to leave the batter's box, glaring back at the home plate umpire for an extended period of time, according to those who witnessed the game.

"He stood there, looking back for a long period of time, maybe 30 seconds," Pawtucket broadcaster Dan Hoard recalled. "It was borderline, but not ridiculous from the vantage point of the broadcasting booth. I've learned since, from the Pawtucket catcher (Corky Miller), that the umpire told him to go back and he wouldn't go."

Young finally took a step or two toward his dugout when the umpire ejected him from the game. The timing of the ejection made it seem like Young said something to the umpire as he began his retreat, but Hoard said Miller told him Young was silent at the time.

Young then took a couple of steps and threw the bat at the umpire. According to AP reports, Young flipped the bat underhand. It sailed end over end and hit the umpire in the chest.

"It wasn't with force, but I'd say that was his intent," Hoard said. "He went back to the dugout and disappeared. That was the end of his night and the end of his playing for some time."

No one from the International League was available for comment on the incident. According to policy, the umpire will file a report with president Randy Mobley on Thursday. Mobley, in turn, will read it, interview those involved in the incident and make the decision what kind of suspension should be handed down.

In addition, no one with the Devil Rays, including several players reached for comment, would comment until executives in the organization had a chance to review tape of the incident. Young, 20, gave an official "no comment" when reached in his hotel room after the game. "It's going to be interesting," Hoard said. "He's certainly looking at a lengthy suspension from the league. I'm not sure if the Rays will tack on anything.

"I've never seen anyone throw a bat at anybody. I've seen a lot of games and never seen that before."

This is not the first time Young has let his anger get the better of him. Last May, while playing in the Double-A Southern League for the Montgomery Biscuits, he drew a three-game suspension for bumping an umpire. He also was nearly ejected earlier in the season when, after being hit by a pitch, he flung his bat in the air and it landed about 20 feet from the pitcher.

Minor League Baseball games have been umpired by replacements for every game thus far in the 2006 season, with the regular crews currently out on strike.

Young was hitting .333 with 12 steals (tied for the IL lead with teammate B.J. Upton) entering the game

2. Turn Off Ads?

ESPN is now reporting that Delmon Young has been "suspended indefinitely by the International League pending the outcome of their investigation..."

I can do the Hully Gully IowaRed's Avatar

http://www.minorleaguebaseball.com/a...milb&fext=.jsp

no video, but here are is a link to listen to both teams radio calls, including Dan Hoard
    More often than not, when someone is telling me a story all I can think about is that I can't wait for them to finish so that I can tell my own story that's not only better, but also more directly involves me.

Plus it was a scab umpire too.

After listening to the audio, it just dawned on me that Young's strike out and subsequent posturing occurred after the FIRST OUT of the freaking ballgame!

Boy, one can only imagine how frustrated the Durham batters might have become with the home plate ump's calls by the time, say, the third or fourth out was recorded....

Just saw the video on Jim Rome...this was no little toss of the bat. He flipped it under hand, relatively hard at him. There was no arc on it at all, and probably from about 10-15 feet away. Way to go.

Video is also here: http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/index.jsp

Scroll down...second in the list of video.

Quote Originally Posted by AvesIce51
    Just saw the video on Jim Rome...this was no little toss of the bat. He flipped it under hand, relatively hard at him. There was no arc on it at all, and probably from about 10-15 feet away. Way to go.
    He should be more like his brother. Just keep your mouth shut, go back to the dugout, and grab yourself a box of Twinkies.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Dan Hoard on the radio call

He's soooo

"...You just have a wider lens than one game."
    --Former Reds GM Wayne Krivsky, on why he didn't fly Josh Hamilton to Colorado for one game.

"...its money well-spent. Don't screw around with your freedom."
    --Roy Tucker, on why you need to lawyer up when you find yourself swimming with sharks.

The umpire could press charges also for the bat throwing incident.

I can do the Hully Gully IowaRed's Avatar

It was much worse than I expected. From what I could tell it was significantly more than a "flip" of the bat as I've heard it described. That bat was moving pretty fast
    More often than not, when someone is telling me a story all I can think about is that I can't wait for them to finish so that I can tell my own story that's not only better, but also more directly involves me.

Very strange looking on the replay I saw on sportcenter. The catchers reaction was kinda like okay I better put my mask on. The pitcher just stared in like what the f***

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

Wow - just saw the replay for the first time.
    That was a no doubter sharp throw of the bat towards the umpire. And it had some serious velocity to it as well.

I think the only thing in Baseball i've seen that was comparable, shock value wise, was a few years back when Izzy Alcantara unexpectedly kicked the catcher in the face after a pitch and charged the pitchers mound during a minor league game.

Turn Off Ads?