Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Working his way back

Working his way back

Working his way back
    Spring demotion came as shock to young relief pitcher
    BY KEVIN KELLY | ENQUIRER STAFF WRITER

COLUMBUS - Ryan Wagner wore a suit to work the day the Reds broke spring training camp.

"I thought I was heading to Cincinnati," he said. "Then you get called into the office."

The competition for the final spot in the bullpen came down to Wagner and Mike Burns. The Reds kept Burns and optioned Wagner to Triple-A Louisville.

"It caught me by surprise," Wagner said. "When you think you're going to make the team and you don't, you're obviously disappointed."

The right-hander, who went 3-2 with a 6.11 ERA in 42 relief appearances with the Reds last season, is over the disappointment and eager to get back to the major leagues.

For that to happen, there is some work to be done.

Wagner is 0-1 with a 6.35 ERA after Wednesday's relief appearance against the Columbus Clippers at Cooper Stadium. The Clippers, managed by Dave Miley, won 3-0.

"The numbers don't show much," said Wagner, who struck out two and walked one in 1 2/3 scoreless innings. "It's early. I had a bad outing the other day (against Syracuse), which kind of blew me up a little bit.

"I'm just working on some things and going out there and trying to throw up some zeroes."

Wagner went 2-1 with a 2.77 ERA and two saves in 12 appearances this spring. He allowed seven hits over 13 innings.

Through nine appearances with the Bats this season, Wagner has allowed 15 hits in 11 1/3 innings. Opponents are batting .313 against him, and five of the eight runners he has inherited have scored.

"He has tremendous stuff," Louisville manager Rick Sweet said. "But he's not throwing the quality strikes that he needs to throw.

"That's what he is here to do."

Wagner is working on throwing all of his pitches for strikes, but in particular his two-seam fastball and changeup.

"Just things a pitcher has to work on every time he goes out there," he said. "That's what I'm trying to do down here."

The Reds' first pick in the 2003 draft, Wagner began this season with just 24 career minor-league appearances compared to 108 with the Reds.

What does he miss most about the majors?

"Living the dream," Wagner said. "You're in the major leagues. That's the goal of any baseball player."

E-mail kkelly@enquirer.com

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.d...604270406/1071
    I miss Adam Dunn.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Working his way back

Quote Originally Posted by Enquirer Story

What does he miss most about the majors?

"Living the dream," Wagner said. "You're in the major leagues. That's the goal of any baseball player."
    He also misses room service, not sharing a room, traveling by air, not by bus, major league meal money stipend, and the ability to chase girls in a major league town.

Hey, Ryan - toss some strikes ok?
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

He was in Columbus, thats a major league town (bigger than Cincy anyways).

Quote Originally Posted by smith288
    He was in Columbus, thats a major league town (bigger than Cincy anyways).
    I've been to Ohio State on some weekends in my "college" years.

Remember - the best and the brightest go to Ohio State
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Did Wagner try and live the "big league" life too much when he was up with the Reds?
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

Quote Originally Posted by BigKlu
    Did Wagner try and live the "big league" life too much when he was up with the Reds?
    That seems to be the scuttlebutt.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R
    That seems to be the scuttlebutt.
    Couldnt go with "rumor" or "downlow".... Had to fit in a "butt" didnt ya?

Quote Originally Posted by smith288
    Couldnt go with "rumor" or "downlow".... Had to fit in a "butt" didnt ya?
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

motob

So now Wagner and Burns are back in AAA. Burns is on fire right now, throwing 9.2 scoreless innings giving up only 4 hits while whiffing 8 batters... gotta give Bats defense credit on making plays. Something the Reds didn't do for him. Hope he continues working hard in AAA, I expect him to move back in his apartment in Cinci soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Heath
    He also misses room service, not sharing a room, traveling by air, not by bus, major league meal money stipend, and the ability to chase girls in a major league town.

Hey, Ryan - toss some strikes ok?
    Nah, in Triple A you fly to games in 95% of the cases rather than take the trip by bus.

Turn Off Ads?