Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Amazing Krivsky

The Amazing Krivsky

The Amazing Krivsky
    BY PAUL DAUGHERTY | ENQUIRER STAFF WRITER

Right now, he's the smartest man in the room. Don't play cards with him, don't test him at the track. Just listen to what Wayne Krivsky says, and nod.

Wily Mo Peņa for Bronson Arroyo: Anybody have a problem with that? Scott Hatteberg? Second on the team in on-base percentage. Krivsky just brought in Cody Ross, a kid from Los Angeles who had a seven-RBI game for the Dodgers, 11 days ago. And then there is Brandon Phillips.

If you don't live within 50 miles of downtown and/or date your existence to 1975, you looked at the headline two days ago and said, "Huh?" Brandon Phillips named NL Player of the Week, it said, or some such. Seventeen RBI in seven days. Phillips is on that 374-RBI pace.

Krivsky got him for a prospect to be named.

The Reds' rookie general manager takes very little credit for swiping Phillips from Cleveland. Krivsky saw Phillips play once in March. "I don't know him personally. I never scouted him," says Krivsky, "but I might have to change my story if he has another week like he just had."

Regardless, if this deal illustrates how Krivsky works, the Reds are in for better days. Phillips-for-prospect is the kind of move that will take the mid-money Reds from 75 wins to 85, and from 85 to October. It's shrewd, thorough, lucky and smart. Just very smart.

It shows Krivsky as a consensus builder. He consulted half a dozen people in the Reds organization, everyone from bench coach Bucky Dent - who managed at

Triple-A Columbus last year and saw a lot of Brandon Phillips - to Louisville manager Rick Sweet. He asked Johnny Almaraz, the Reds' player development director, if the team had a player the Indians would want. He heeded the urgings of a scout named Bill Harford, whom Krivsky had known for 11 years when each worked for the Minnesota Twins.

Former GM Dan O'Brien kept his own counsel. James G. Bowden IV was a cowboy. Krivsky knows what he knows. More importantly, he knows what he doesn't know.

He knew Phillips was out of options. The Indians had to keep him or waive him. He knew Cleveland had another middle infielder they were high on, Ramon Vasquez. He knew Phillips had some baggage. He was a little cocky, a little too highly praised, too soon.

But Krivsky kept coming back to this: "He's 24. He's talented. He gives us something we don't have."

All of March, Bill Harford filled Krivsky's ear. Harford scouts for several clubs. He works the Orlando area during spring training, near the Indians' base in Winter Haven. The rest of the year, he's based in Chicago. He'd seen Phillips many times.

After a month of telling Krivsky, "You have to take a chance on this guy," Harford called the Reds GM in late March. The Indians were playing the Houston Astros. Roy Oswalt was pitching for Houston. "Wayne," Harford said, "I just saw Phillips turn on a Roy Oswalt fastball, 94 miles an hour on the inner half (of the plate). He yanked it about 400 feet. I think this guy's starting to figure it out."

"I vacillated on it quite a bit," says Krivsky, "because of the makeup of our roster." Phillips is a second baseman. "Where was he gonna fit? I kept coming back to the same thing: He was young and talented and might need a change of scenery. Plus, he was defensive-oriented. Good quickness and range, good hands, could turn a double play. What if he doesn't hit? I went back and forth and finally I said, 'You've got to take a chance on someone this young and athletic.' "

Phillips hit .208 in 2003, in 370 at-bats with the Indians. The next two years, he went 4-for-31 in the big leagues, combined. Maybe he's hitting .208 by this July. Phillips doesn't take many pitches. He hasn't walked yet, in 47 at-bats. Maybe pitchers figure that out and stop throwing him good pitches.

Or maybe he's an everyday player making not much money. What matters most is that the Reds have a general manager who seems both aggressive and smart, and whose ego is small enough that he welcomes help. All good characteristics for someone running a team without money to toss.

E-mail pdaugherty@enquirer.com

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.d...604270400/1071
    I miss Adam Dunn.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: The Amazing Krivsky

What's amazing is that Krivsky has already moved the franchise forward more in a few months than DanO did in over two years.

Quote Originally Posted by MWM
    What's amazing is that Krivsky has already moved the franchise forward more in a few months than DanO did in over two years.
    That's true but I remember back in May-June of 2003 Marty and Hal were talking about Bob Boone being manager of the year. I think Wayne has done well so far but it's tantamount to damning him with faint praise.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine
    Roy Oswalt was pitching for Houston. "Wayne," Harford said, "I just saw Phillips turn on a Roy Oswalt fastball, 94 miles an hour on the inner half (of the plate). He yanked it about 400 feet. I think this guy's starting to figure it out."

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.d...604270400/1071

I'll take some of that on Friday!

"Where was he gonna fit? I kept coming back to the same thing: He was young and talented and might need a change of scenery. Plus, he was defensive-oriented. Good quickness and range, good hands, could turn a double play. What if he doesn't hit? I went back and forth and finally I said, 'You've got to take a chance on someone this young and athletic.'
    Or....

Geez, tough call, woy. I have to give OB a pass on that one...

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

The law of averages says Krivsky will make some bad decisions eventually. Still, it's hard to imagine a better way to start out in a new job.

Lately I've pondered how Krivsky would have done if he had been hired the first time he interviewed and been saddled with the previous ownership/upper management and its inertia. My guess is that he would have made better (and more) choices than DanO, but after being reined in, might not have impressed the Castellini regime enough to stay on as GM.

So far, the combination of ownership and GM seems to be providing a perfect storm for Reds fans.

BTW, I love the revelation that the decision to go after Phillips was a collaborative one. It's tough to make good decisions in a vacuum.

The law of averages says Krivsky will make some bad decisions eventually.
    All GMs make moves that don't work out. All of them. Phillips was low-risk, high-reward. What I like about it was that EVERYONE knew Phillips was available and Krivsky came away with him. Either he negotiated well or was willing to take a chance that no one else in baseball was willing to take. Whichever it was, he comes out ahead of all of those GMs who now wish they had Phillips.
    "Baseball is a very, very complex business. It's more of a people business than most businesses." - Bob Castellini

Show me a GM that doesn't make bad moves, and I'll show you a guy sitting in a locked office with his phone lines cut!
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

Great article. Rarely do we get what seems to be an honest inside look. I like that Krivsky is being open here.
    Thank goodness for baseball.

Hate to be pedantic, but the Indians are not high on Vasquez but figured would happily sit on the bench behind Peralta and Belliard whereas Phillips would not.

Quote Originally Posted by PickOff
    Great article. Rarely do we get what seems to be an honest inside look. I like that Krivsky is being open here.
    I like that too.

"He's 24. He's talented. He gives us something we don't have."

That's a guy who's got his eye on the ball.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

Quote Originally Posted by DJF33
    I'll take some of that on Friday!
    Im pretty sure he did the same thing to Brewers closer Derrick Turnbow.

Certainly a great pickup, but he did mention the fact that we're overstocked with 2Bs right now. Aurillia and Freel can both play other spots, but what do you think will happen when Griffey returns? Who's playing time gets cut? Or maybe the question should be: who's getting traded for some bullpen help?

Aurillia, Freel, Griffey, Hatteberg, Phillips, Ross (either one), LaRue, JV???
    Here's to another record-breaking season from Adam Dunn ...another 40 homeruns (all coming with nothing on the line) and 200 Ks! We Want King Jay!!

Yea, good pickup though it seemed a no brainer to several of us here. I am more impressed that he is willing to both listen and learn from his employees and to actually recognize the problem and act.

Let's see if he can get some more pitching now. That is what will make or break him.

Turn Off Ads?