Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Homer Bailey pitching at 10:35 AM this morning

Re: Homer Bailey pitching at 10:35 AM this morning

Quote Originally Posted by Puffy
    Why?

Isn't a batters job in a 2-0 game to get on base so that the tying runner comes to the plate? And isn't a bunt single a fantastic way to get said tying runner to the plate? These guys are trying to win - if this was a 5-0 game I'd see your point, but in a close game like this you gotta get on base to give your team a chance anyway you can.
    I agree, I have no problem with him trying to bunt his way on there. Now if it were a 5 or 6 run lead then it would be a much different story.

I also agree on Jessica Alba. She is one of the hottest chicks I have ever seen.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Thanks OBM.

Show 'em, Homer.

Why?

Isn't a batters job in a 2-0 game to get on base so that the tying runner comes to the plate? And isn't a bunt single a fantastic way to get said tying runner to the plate? These guys are trying to win - if this was a 5-0 game I'd see your point, but in a close game like this you gotta get on base to give your team a chance anyway you can.
    Yes its the batters job to get on base, but why didnt they try to do that the rest of the game?

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

I must disagree.
    That photo made my day. Jessica Alba isn't just kinda pretty she's all kinds of pretty.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Why, because for some reason its in Baseball's unwritten code, thou shall not break up a no hitter in the 9th w/ a bunt single. At least I believe that is section of the unwritten manual that Bob Brenely referenced a couple of years ago.

I agree that it is the batters primary job to get on base any way possible when you're down 2 in the 9th. If a bunt single gets the job done, then by all means, I personally don't have a problem w/ it. However, I do question if they will hit him next time the 2 squads face off. I've been told that his is what "scrappy" teams do

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor
    That photo made my day. Jessica Alba isn't just kinda pretty she's all kinds of pretty.
    Some of the beautiful people are debatable, but I don't think Jessica Alba is one of them. "Hey kids, wanna watch the Fantastic 4 again tonight?"

Ok, off to repent.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Oh yea, good job Homer. More of that, his numbers went immediately from so-so to impressive. Keep up the good work, whether you become our ace or help land us one.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Why?

Agreed here. Teams shouldn't have to lay down just b/c they have no hits. The object is to win and they needed to get people on base. Bad way to lose the no-no, but still part of the game. If it were 10-0 it would be a diff story.

I dont see how it would be a different story if they were up by more.
    If they are only up by 2 its ok to bunt for a single, but if they are up by 5 or more its not ok?

Phillip Hughes is most likely jealous now and will pitch a 7 inning perfect game.

Wow - thanks for the pbp OBM - I am having Dayton Dragons flashbacks from 2005 with Piepkorn, Gentry, & Gutierrez, et. al.

Good work by Homer - maybe a mid-season call-up to Chattanooga at this rate.

Oh, yes, obligatory Jessica Alba picture. It's in the rules. I agree, she's kinda pretty.

Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Quote Originally Posted by Austin Kearns
    Lakeland singles on a BUNT!

Bush league.
    at the major league level that would get you on the list for getting drilled in the future.

A quick comparison ...
    Code:

ERA   WHIP     K/9   HR/9    BB/9    K/BB    H/9
    Bailey 2004 (Low A)   4.43   1.46   10.85   0.43    5.38    2.02   7.73
    Bailey 2005 (High A)  3.08   0.96    9.91   0.68    2.39    4.14   6.15
    His sudden improvement in walk rate, to put it mildy, has been huge. He's cut his BB/9 rate in half while doubling his K/BB rate and maintaining his exceptional K/9 rate, which means he's simply gained control instead of sacrificing stuff for control. Hopefully Bailey keeps this up in Sarasota and his early start and newly improved control this season isn't merely a mirage.
    The Lost Decade Average Season: 74-88
    2014-22 Average Season: 71-91

Quote Originally Posted by CTA513
    I dont see how it would be a different story if they were up by more.
    If they are only up by 2 its ok to bunt for a single, but if they are up by 5 or more its not ok?

No - baseball's unwritten rule is a bunt single is a cheap way to break up a no hitter. If a guy has it going on enough to not have given up any hits the unwritten rule says bunting is a cheap way to "steal" a hit.

However, the fact is that the dude got a bunt hit putting the tying run on base. Thats the issue. If they were up by 5 runs in the ninth then that bunt would have soley served to break up the no hitter, not as a means to get the tying run to the plate. Thats a big difference.

And also, this wasn't a pitcher throwin a no hitter - this was a team. A little difference here. The bunt didn't ruin some kids no hitter. Semetics maybe, but important nonetheless.
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor
    Assuming he continues to replicate these stats, or if his ERA dips lower (maybe to 2.75-range) and his peripherals remain the same -- does he stay in Sarasota to domiante for the full season, or does he move to Chattanooga mid-season?

I say leave him in Sarasota and give him a full season to build confidence. The stuff this kid has is tempting to push, but he's just too valuable to risk blowing out this early.
    That's a good question.

I'm generally 100% behind being patient with young pitchers, but if Bailey is dominating the level so much that it is no longer a challange for him, then I wouldn't really mind if they bumped him to Chattanooga for the final month or two. To define dominate, I mean an ERA below 2.80, sub 1.00 WHIP, a walk rate right where its at or lower, and a K rate over 10 strikeouts per 9 innings. If he can pitch produce those types of numbers for a half a year or so in Sarasota then I personally wouldn't mind if they gave him a shot in Chattanooga.

Turn Off Ads?