Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Observation regarding Phillips...

Observation regarding Phillips...

...I don't know if I want my #7 hitter taking a lot of walks if he has slugging pop like Brandon. Perhaps I'd like it in a #8 hitter somewhat (to avoid a pitcher leading off an inning), but when the worst-hitting position player follows the #7, then the pitcher, then the #1 hitter (Freel in our case, who has no power and is not a very good rbi guy), and the likelyhood of him having ducks on the pond with this lineup, I want Brandon to go for putting the ball in play. Views?
    "Don't trust any statistics you did not fake yourself."--Winston Churchill

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Observation regarding Phillips...

I don't want any player swing at balls out of the zone because they are afraid of what will happen when they are on base, I'd prefer they get on base and then worry about scoring.

I don't want anyone up there swinging at balls. being selective will only make him a better player in the long run. Maybe he'll mature into something other than a #7 hitter with the right approach. He obviously has the physical talent.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

I'm not talking about his scoring, but the likelyhood of those players scoring who are on base when he comes to bat.

I want a complete player.

But then again, strikeouts are over-rated.
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

Quote Originally Posted by Wheelhouse
    I'm not talking about his scoring, but the likelyhood of those players scoring who are on base when he comes to bat.
    Being overly aggressive seldom pays off in the long run.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

But do you guys see my logic based on this lineup at this time and with Brandon batting in this position in the lineup...

But do you guys see my logic based on this lineup at this time and with Brandon batting in this position in the lineup...
    No, because it pigeonholes his role too much. Telling Brandon to ignore ths trike zone and swing for the fences because it's unlikely that anyone behind him will knock him in is a good way to ensure long term struggles at the plate for Brandon. The best thing he could do is work on becoming more selective at the plate and raising that OBP.
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

An overly-aggressive Brandon Phillips is a free-swinging out machine -- no better than a #8 or #9 hitter.

When the #8 hitter is Jason Larue, I'd rather have Phillips be selective, learn to lay off the low-and-away sliders and wait for a fastball to drive.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Why would one not care about the lack of ability to know the strikezone and to be able to take walk?

It makes one even a better hitter.
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

When a guy is seeing the ball like Phillips is right now, he will be swinging the bat often, but there will come a time when the ball looks less like a pumpkin and more like an aspirin. Can and will he make the adjustments when that happens? It's all about making the adjustments, knowing the strike zone and figuring out which pitches you can and cannot handle. That will tell us if Phillips is merely a flash in the pan, or a major league baseball player. This hot streak is a great confidence builder for Phillips. When the hot streak ends, Chris Chambliss will play a very important role in Phillips development. I hope Phillips is at the point in his career where he is willing to listen. His success depends on it.
    Talent is God Given: be humble.
    Fame is man given: be thankful.
    Conceit is self given: be careful.

John Wooden

I think being exposed to Chambliss will make him a more patient hitter. Chambliss is the very best.

I think it's a bad approach for Phillips, but I understand your argument.
    Continue to work with him on it, but if I've got a free-swinger who has some pop in his bat, I'd bat him 7th for the reasons you mentioned.

There are always things he can improve on. Not swinging at balls out of his "zone" is an important one.
    However in the mean time, might as well take advantage of what he does well.
    When people say that I donít know what Iím talking about when it comes to sports or writing, I think: Man, you should see me in the rest of my life.
    ---Joe Posnanski

Hopefully under Chambliss he will improve on his BB ratio. Some people just are aggressive ala Valentin.
    And This One Belongs to the REDS!!!

I don't think he's been wildly swinging at a lot of balls so far in a Reds uniform. I think other teams saw his career numbers and made a deliberate decision to make him beat them. They pitch around guys like Kearns and Dunn and left guys like Encarnacion and Phillips to beat them. To their credit these guys have risen to the challenge. These guys have come up with a lot of guys on base and they've produced.

Turn Off Ads?