Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Whoa Nellie! - Keith Jackson is done - this time for good...

Whoa Nellie! - Keith Jackson is done - this time for good...

On SI.com today......

NEW YORK (AP) -- Keith Jackson thinks this is the right time for him to retire.

Jackson, widely regarded as the voice of college football, has decided to stop broadcasting games.

"I'm finished with play-by-play forever," he told The New York Times, which first reported his retirement.

Jackson spent some 40 years calling the action in a folksy, down-to-earth manner that made him one of the most popular play-by-play personalities in the business.

"Keith Jackson is a man of great character and a legendary broadcaster. For decades, his unmistakable style defined college football for millions of fans," George Bodenheimer, the president of ESPN and ABC Sports, said in a statement Thursday. "While we hate to say goodbye, we understand his decision and wish him the very best."

Jackson also announced he would retire after the 1998 season, but ended up continuing with ABC Sports. He said this time is different.

"This is the perfect time," Jackson told the newspaper. "I don't want to get back into the pressure cooker of play-by-play and worry about travel. I don't want to die in a stadium parking lot."

Jackson, 77, began calling college football games with ABC in 1966. He also worked NBA, NFL games and the Olympics, but was always best known for college football.

An ABC Sports executive said they tried to keep Jackson, but respect his decision.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Whoa Nellie! - Keith Jackson is done - this time for good...

My favorite college football announcer of all-time. I sure will miss Keith doing all the Pac-10 games. Just won't be the same without him. I wish him well in his retirement.
    I miss Adam Dunn.

One of the best! You knew it was a big college football game if he doing the PBP. He deserves a quiet and peaceful retirement. Best of luck to him.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

The voice of fall for my entire life. He'll never be replaced.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

This is a great day for anyone who ever had to suffer through his incredible bias towards Michigan football. This should've happened a long time ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Serafini
    This is a great day for anyone who ever had to suffer through his incredible bias towards Michigan football. This should've happened a long time ago.

Gee, in the Buckeye state, we never could get used to him cheering with Bob Griese for the school up north.

Guess it's like the manlove of Jim Edmonds by GG. Maybe Cardinal fans are getting the reverse message
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

The last game he did was one of the all time great games last year's Rose Bowl between Texas and USC.

Quote Originally Posted by Heath
    Gee, in the Buckeye state, we never could get used to him cheering with Bob Griese for the school up north.

Guess it's like the manlove of Jim Edmonds by GG. Maybe Cardinal fans are getting the reverse message
    Whoever decided that it was a good idea for Keith Jackson, Bob Griese and Bo Schembechler to be announcing Michigan broadcasts together should've been fired on the spot. Just awful. It's one thing to have a group like that employed on a university broadcast, but for ABC to do it? That was a joke.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Fanatic
    The last game he did was one of the all time great games last year's Rose Bowl between Texas and USC.
    Great game to go out on, that's for sure.
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

I'm hoping this will lead to Brent Musburger doing more West Coast games and fewer Big Ten games. Since I don't know who that would move into Brent's slot, I'm somewhat concerned that it might be someone more biased against Ohio State. Maybe Kirk Herbstreit?

Brent on the west coast only?? but what about the drinking game?? No more partners?!?!?!
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed
    Brent on the west coast only?? but what about the drinking game?? No more partners?!?!?!
    The magic of ESPN Game Plan.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

I'll miss Keith Jackson's voice, I just wish he would take Dan Fouts with him. I like Brad Nessler and Bob Griese though.

I always wondered what Keith did with the set of Nicklaus clubs OSU gave him after he retired the first time....
    What if this wasn't a rhetorical question?

All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

My all time favorite commercial features Keith Jackson doing play by play for a wedding (A five-foot-five debutante from ALLLA-Bama....The vows are up..and they're good!)

I forget what they were selling, but it was awesome.
    "But I do know Joey's sister indirectly (or foster sister) and I have heard stories of Joey being into shopping, designer wear, fancy coffees, and pedicures."

Turn Off Ads?