Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: question about foul balls given to fans

question about foul balls given to fans

does anyone know why the ballgirl or ballboy at GABP doesn't give the foul balls to the fans like they do at other stadiums. i know they are told not to but wonder why compared to everyone else?
    there's nothing like bowling a 300 game! 13 now and retired.

Ricky henderson has a higher OBP than C. patterson and he's retired. C. Trent 6-14-2008

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: question about foul balls given to fans

We're a small market organization.

Save pennies where you can.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Leader

Absolutely. You know how everyone always said that we could have had Tony Womack for a bucket of balls? Well....
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

For a Level Playing Field

No idea, but I have a guess or two...

* The REDS put a limit on the post-1994-strike fan-friendly thing. They wereon a 5-year plan while other teams are still being fan-friendly. It might have something to do w/ the small market thing.

* The REDS have been accumulating the saved pennies for each foulball that they deny to the fans. Sometime around 2015, they hope they can afford a legit #2 starter... something that has not been seen in these parts since the REDS wore low stirrup socks, high pants legs and (dorky) black shoes.

* Building and PAYING for a new stadium just did not seem like enough to justify giving a free used baseball to the fans who paid for that stadium. Give 'em a free ball and they'll want the world next... those pesky fans.

Back in 2004, I sat in the first row along the right field line. These seats were right behind the rolled up tarp and were also right behind the ballboy for that side of the field (I hesitate to call him 'boy' because he appeared to be about 25 years old).

Anyway, during a similar conversation with him, he claimed to me that he would be fired on the spot if he gave a ball away in the stands. The only exception would be if a Reds player directed him to do so (which Kearns did a few times that night).

FWIW, ball 'man' appeared to be deadly serious about his claim. So much, in fact, that I think it made him nervous to even discuss the policy with me.

"Uhm...I may have said too much already..."

Not quite THAT bad...but I think you get the picture.
    Last edited by Blimpie; 04-27-2006 at 04:26 PM.

Agreed.

Remember on opening day they made people give up any baseballs coming in? where do you think those went??
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by Blimpie
    Back in 2004, I sat in the first row along the right field line. These seats were right behind the rolled up tarp and were also right behind the ballboy for that side of the field (I hesitate to call him 'boy' because he appeared to be about 25 years old).

Anyway, during a similar conversation with him, he claimed to me that he would be fired on the spot if he gave a ball away in the stands. The only exception would be if a Reds player directed him to do so (which Kearns did a few times that night).

FWIW, ball 'man' appeared to be deadly serious about his claim. So much, in fact, that I think it made him nervous to even discuss the policy with me.

"Uhm...I may have said too much already..."

Not quite THAT bad...but I think you get the picture.

if that is true that is really sad. watching all these other teams small or big market giving these balls away is a slap in the face to us. the fact the tax payers built them a stadium they should be kissing a$$ to do things for us.
    there's nothing like bowling a 300 game! 13 now and retired.

Ricky henderson has a higher OBP than C. patterson and he's retired. C. Trent 6-14-2008

Newb

I thought the policy was initiated a few years ago by DanO in an attempt to acquire the necessary balls to pull the trigger on a trade or two.

I've always thought this made the Reds look cheap. I don't think the fans should expect to be given balls for free but if everyone else is doing it....

Maybe the new ownership will do something about this.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

The previous ownership was in the insurance business, so I've always assumed it was a liability issue. The Reds may be afraid that Ball Boy's errant toss into the stands could plunk someone on the head or that fans will hurt themselves or other fans by diving for it. The release on the back of the ticket covers the team for balls sent into the stands during the course of play, but not for balls deliberately sent there by employees.

Maybe some of the lawyers or aspiring lawyers among us can enlighten us as to whether this could be the case?

Can the balls be re-used? I didn't think that they could be. Umpires usually put balls out of play as soon as they touch the ground, so I can't imagine that they would allow balls to keep being used like that just because a team wants to save money.

I think they're used for BP.
    The seven most magic words in all the land...
    "If, in the opinion of the referee,..."

This doesn't address why, but it estimates how many (from Ask Hal on 4/22/06):

Q: How many baseballs are used in one game? — Tom, Hamilton

A: If it's the Cincinnati Reds and either Eric Milton or Dave Williams is pitching, many more than normal. Usually, though, it is nine dozen, and if Miss Gargoyle taught me right in third-grade math, that's 108 baseballs. Mark Stowe, the visiting clubhouse attendant at Great American Ball Park, says sometimes they use as many as 10 dozen. "We lose about 18 at the end of each half inning when the players toss 'em into the stands," he said.
    http://www.daytondailynews.com/sport...askhalweb.html
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

Haunted by walks

Here's a funny story about one man's obsession to get a baseball at GABP.

http://snaggingbaseballs.mlblogs.com...at_great_.html

Turn Off Ads?