Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Reds Record/Golf Score Comparison

Reds Record/Golf Score Comparison

Some of you will probably think this is totally idiotic and useless, so I apologize in advance for wasting your time if you're not interested. A year or two ago, Edskin posted about how he breaks the season up into 10 game segments, which I had always done as well. But I'm sort of a golf nut, so I took it a step further.

There are 162 games in a season, and 18 holes on a golf course. If you divide 162 by 18, you get 9. That means that every nine games the Reds play is the equivalent of one hole of golf. Next, we need to establish par. If you watch a tournament, even par isn't going to be good enough to win, but it will probably have you on the leaderboard on Sunday and you'll probably cash a nice check. In baseball terms, I figured that number to be about 90 wins...not going to be enough to make the playoffs, but probably going to have you in the chase through most of September and probably keep your fans relatively happy. So, if 90 wins is "par", we just divide 90 by our 18 holes and get 5. That means if the Reds go 5-4 over a nine game stretch, they get a par.

After 9 games this year, the Reds were 6-3. Since 5-4 is a par, 6 wins is a birdie. Over the next 9, we went 5-4. So, birdie on #1, par on #2. So far, we're 4-0 on the 3rd hole, so birdie is certainly within reach. I figure five or six under (95 or 96 wins) may be enough to get a wild card, so two under through three holes would be phenomenal. More than anything, I like breaking the season down like this because it keeps me from getting too upset during losing streaks (or too excited during winning streaks).

Again, I apologize to anyone who thinks this is totally stupid. If anyone actually likes it, I'll come back every 9 games and update our scorecard. I keep one posted on my cubicle at work so I can track it all year. Some of the guys I work with are golfers too and have started referring to Reds games in golf terminology. We have fun with it, so I thought I'd share with the biggest group of Reds fans I know.
    "A cold day at the park beats damn near anything." - SC Reds Fans

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Reds Record/Golf Score Comparison

That's definitely an interesting way to look at it .

My ADD would kick in around the 4th or 5th game and keep me from being able to keep track though...

My ADD kicked in before I finished reading Ringo's post. Golf is not one of my interests, and as soon as you started talking Scoring, I was done.

Quote Originally Posted by Ringo
    If anyone actually likes it, I'll come back every 9 games and update our scorecard. I keep one posted on my cubicle at work so I can track it all year. Some of the guys I work with are golfers too and have started referring to Reds games in golf terminology. We have fun with it, so I thought I'd share with the biggest group of Reds fans I know.
    I hope that you do Ringo. I think it is a fun way to look at things. Thanks for sharing it.

I'd take a par season.

Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by RedsFan75
    My ADD kicked in ..... and as soon as you started talking Scoring, I was done.
    That's all I read. If you have scoring problems, see Raisor.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Looking at the schedule it seems May would be a couple of Par 3's but June's a couple of 600 yd Par 5's with the wind in our face and the liquor kicking in.

Not good news when the golfer in question is a high handicapper.

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

Thanks for posting about that interesting idea. Of course, I know our short game isn't really great so we should focus on getting to those greens in regulation. A few shanked balls in the rough and we could be talking double bogeys.

Now we just need to take it a step too far and assign a club to each player... I'll nominate Rich Aurilia as the sand wedge. Useful in some situations, particulary when you really need him to come through, but if you have to rely on him on a regular basis, that's a bad sign.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

What's the Reds' handicap? I wish they were playing net record because the REds might win the world series that way.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

So if the Reds have to go 5-4 to make par on a 9 game stretch, is back-to-back series with the Astros and the Cardinals considered a "Tiger Proofed" hole?

Roy Oswalt is the wicked dog-leg that the Reds keep slicing into the woods on, apparently.
    Championships Matter.
    24 Years and Counting...

So Long Uncle Joe BoydsOfSummer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MWM
    What's the Reds' handicap? I wish they were playing net record because the REds might win the world series that way.
    Lindner and O'Brien. Oh you mean now?
    0 Value Over Replacement Poster

"Sit over here next to Johnathan (Bench)...sit right here, he's smart."--Sparky Anderson

Best baseball reference I've heard on a golf course in a long time(kind of offensive but funny):

Golfer #1: Tee shot into the woods at a 45 degree angle not 50 yds from him

Golfer #2: "That was a Thurman Munson"

#1: "A Thurman Munson?"

#2: " A dead yank"

Best part was the punchline was deliverd in the middle of Golfer #3's backswing.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc D
    Best baseball reference I've heard on a golf course in a long time(kind of offensive but funny):

Golfer #1: Tee shot into the woods at a 45 degree angle not 50 yds from him

Golfer #2: "That was a Thurman Munson"

#1: "A Thurman Munson?"

#2: " A dead yank"

Best part was the punchline was deliverd in the middle of Golfer #3's backswing.
    That would be funnier, if it wasn't so tragic.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Quote Originally Posted by Heath
    That would be funnier, if it wasn't so tragic.
    Yeah it was one of those where you say how awful it is as you laugh. The guy who used it was a Red Sox fan so blame him I guess.

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

This is definitely an off-day post. Good job.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Turn Off Ads?