Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rachel Phelps is real! Well, in Arena Football anyway....

Rachel Phelps is real! Well, in Arena Football anyway....

She's doesn't know in her guys' locker room that there's a peel-away for every win.....

Owner fires indoor football team
    Montgomery Maulers all cut over wage demands
    Posted: Thursday April 27, 2006 3:43PM; Updated: Thursday April 27, 2006 3:44PM

MONTGOMERY, Ala. (AP) -- Montgomery Maulers owner Jamie LaMunyon had an emphatic response to her players' demand for back wages: You're fired.

LaMunyon said she will field a replacement team for the National Indoor Football League game at Osceola, Fla., on Friday, and next week at home.

"I have cut all the football players," she told the Montgomery Advertiser in a story Thursday. "Fans will see a whole new team next week in Montgomery. Maybe they can win a game."

The mass firings came after four Maulers held a news conference at a local attorney's office Wednesday saying the team wouldn't travel to Osceola if LaMunyon didn't pay money they claimed she owed them.

Attorney Donald Jackson said some players were owed as much as $800 or $1,000 and the average was about $650.

"In all my years of a sports-based legal practice, I have never seen anything quite like this," Jackson said. "But it's not really surprising. The owners of this team are apparently in dire financial straits. Whether you call this a termination or a refusal to pay, it's all the same. What she's doing now is grasping at straws."

LaMunyon disputed the players' claims that some have not been paid for as long as four or five weeks.

"They have missed one pay check," said LaMunyon, who already replaced the head coach this season. "The league requires that I hold their last pay check because (the players) have a couple of thousand dollars worth of equipment."

The players' checks bounced earlier this month, which LaMunyon said was just a mistake in her checking account.

"I don't know what happened," she said. "But immediately when I found out, I sent $5,000 in to fix it. If there's a player who hasn't been paid, I'm sorry, but that happens everywhere."

The Maulers are 1-4, and coach David Daniels resigned and was replaced by Kelvin Stokes two weeks ago.

Asked about Stokes' job security, LaMunyon responded: "The coach hasn't been silly. The coaches have been very good."

Stokes informed the team about the firings before Wednesday's practice.

LaMunyon said the new team will be composed of players "from all over."

"There are 100 ball players to replace anyone that doesn't want to play football," LaMunyon said. "And these guys don't want to."
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Rachel Phelps is real! Well, in Arena Football anyway....

Checks bounced?

Sounds like she's trying to find guys who will work for peanuts now.
    Go Gators!

I'd ask for payment in advance.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

For a Level Playing Field

The indoor football thing seems to have many teams that are here today and gone tomorrow. Dayton keeps trying it. They actually have two indoor football teams that each paly in a diff. league. However, one team decided to not play this year ($$$$$). Don't worry... they will be back next year.

Too many entertainment opportunities today to get involved with another sports league. We have television, video games, computers, internet, mlb, nba, nhl, nfl, olympics, minor league baseball, college sports, amusement parks, parks and recreation, shopping, skiing, running, plays, concerts, and the list goes on and on. Not to mention school activities for ourselves and kids plus there is that little thing we do to pay for all this: work. Nowadays both parents work and a lot of people have more than one job. There really isn't time for people for little else. Unless you are one of those people who needs your football all year round, I don't see indoor football of interest to a lot of people.

The KC Brigade joined the Arena League this season. I went to a game earlier this year, and it was a total snooze-fest.
    Last edited by Johnny Footstool; 04-28-2006 at 11:10 AM.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

The players' checks bounced earlier this month, which LaMunyon said was just a mistake in her checking account.

"I don't know what happened," she said.
    Here, let me help:

It means there were insufficient funds in the account to cover the checks. When this happens, the person possessing the check is denied payment for it--in other words, the check "bounces" back to the person who wrote it.

Since you're not sure what caused it to happen, here's one very plausible scenario: your financial records are in shambles and the team lacks the money to pay the players. Checks don't bounce because of bank errors (except in the rarest of circumstances), so the fault generally lies with the account holder.

I hope this clears some things up for you, Jamie.
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

Apparently, she also owns a team in Tennessee coached by Chris Carter.

http://www.chattanoogan.com/articles/article_77355.asp
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

Quote Originally Posted by registerthis
    Here, let me help:

It means there were insufficient funds in the account to cover the checks. When this happens, the person possessing the check is denied payment for it--in other words, the check "bounces" back to the person who wrote it.

Since you're not sure what caused it to happen, here's one very plausible scenario: your financial records are in shambles and the team lacks the money to pay the players. Checks don't bounce because of bank errors (except in the rarest of circumstances), so the fault generally lies with the account holder.

I hope this clears some things up for you, Jamie.

You mean you need MONEY to write a check?
    Go Gators!

I Still Miss Sean Casey

This thread's not any good without a photo.

Quote Originally Posted by BoomerSoonerRed
    This thread's not any good without a photo.
    Here you go...

Nice looking fellow there.
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed
    Nice looking fellow there.
    That is Chris Carter... but not the Chris Carter that most people think. This one played at TCU. He was the 1st coach of the Tennessee River Hawks, a member of the NIFL. This Jamie lady and her husband own two teams in the same league (Montgomery as in the article is the other). Don't think that idea would fly in other pro sports... one owner w/ two teams. I think MLB stopped that early in the 20th century when Baltimore and someone else loaded one of the teams w/ the best players from the other team. Need woy or soemone else to tell that story!

I Still Miss Sean Casey

Quote Originally Posted by RedFanAlways1966
    Here you go...
    Gah, maybe I should have kept my big mouth shut.

http://home.peoplepc.com/psp/newssto...0503-617237615

MONTGOMERY, Ala. - The Montgomery Maulers have been rehired.

The minor league football team was sold to new owners Wednesday, a week after the entire roster was fired when some players threatened to boycott over money they were owed.

In fact, the buyers were the ones who provided their Tampa, Fla., team as a fill-in on three hours notice Saturday night for a game in Osceola, Fla.

The substitute Maulers lost 72-12 in the National Indoor Football League game.

"We tried to do our best, but we weren't the Maulers," said John Morris, who purchased the team along with partner and coach Mike Mink. "I'm very, very proud to say that we are the Maulers today."

An attorney for four of the players had said last week that some Maulers were owed up to $1,000 in back pay by owner Jamie LaMunyon. She promptly fired the entire team.

"The last week has been a real trying time for them," said attorney Donald Jackson, who represented the players. "The players are quite excited about getting back on the field this weekend."

He said they would receive pay for their previous games on Wednesday night.

NIFL President Carolyn Shiver said the purchase was "not an unfriendly buyout" and the league didn't order LaMunyon to sell.

"We just said, 'Miss LaMunyon, it would be in the best interest of Montgomery and the Maulers if you allow us to sell the team,'" Shiver said. "She agreed with that."

The Maulers' next game is at home Saturday against Greensboro.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Turn Off Ads?