Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Ron Oester arrested

Passion for the game Team Clark's Avatar

Re: Ron Oester arrested

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner
    Yeah, and then he might not hit 49 homers a year because he's trying to make basic contact. I'll take the 40 plus dingers and the 40 percent OBP over the dude who knocks in runs with a ground out any day.

This isn't 1979.

I think Joe Carter just read your post and had a heart attack!
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

2. Turn Off Ads?

That certainly sounds like something he would do.

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

I think Joe Carter just read your post and had a heart attack!
    Joe sure put up big numbers, but it took him an incredible number of outs to do so, didn't it? A career OBP of .306.

Was OESTER! flailing about, or was he just demonstrating the way he'd routinely windmill Sean Casey around third on a shallow single to the OF with 2 outs?

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner
    I always thought Oester was one of the most overrated Reds. He had what- one good year? Though he was always a fan favorite.

Yet everyone wanted to ride Eric Davis out of there....never ceased to amaze me how that town could absolutely not judge baseball talent.

Adam Dunn bats .240 with an OBP of close to.400 and he stinks. Just ask the WLW listening audience. I had a relative tell me that the other day- he said Dunn struck out too much. I asked him if it would make him feel better if he grounded out more.
    It would make me feel a lot better if he grounded out to the right side of the infield with a runner on third with less than two outs.
    1st pick of the 2023 baseball amateur draft

God please tell me this isn't happening again.

Adam Dunn is the best run producer on the best offense in baseball. Worrying about every little detail is just overkill.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

and yes i posted earlier but then again what does dunn have to do with oester

Quote Originally Posted by Cant Touch This
    No one turned the double play more efficiently. His .264 average in 1983 was second only to Dan Driessen's .277. Excellent year for the Reds offense.
    He may have lead the team in homeruns and RBI that year also. I think he has like 58 or something RBI. 94 was a very bad year to be a Reds fan. The thought of thinking about Paul Householder and Dwayne Walker makes my stomach upset.
    Taylor High School
    Home of the "Yellow Jackets"

Quote Originally Posted by Cant Touch This
    No one turned the double play more efficiently. His .264 average in 1983 was second only to Dan Driessen's .277. Excellent year for the Reds offense.
    You're right. That was a dismal season. Amazingly, Mario Soto won 17 games that year and finished 2nd in the Cy Young Award voting. He was an amazing pitcher on some abysmal teams.

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85
    Things have taken a downward turn for Oester after he didn't get the managers job in Cincy.
    Not as bad a downward turn than Darren Daulton when he didn't get the Philly job.

Quote Originally Posted by Heath
    He's Pete Rose ... with more hothead and the value-sized bag of Lay's on his shoulder.
    ... and 3,138 less hits.

Back a few lifetimes ago circa 1983-84, I did a computer system install down at the Reds (RSTS/E on a PDP-11, a minicomputer back before PCs) in the off-season. It was for their season tickets IIRC.

Ron Oester was in the office doing some work for the Reds. He came over and watched me for a couple hours. I was suitably awed but he put me at ease and was genuinely interested in what I was doing. He talked to me a lot about computers and I talked to him a lot about baseball. I've always thought he was a good guy and pretty down-to-earth.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Not Laughing

Did Dunn get arrested?

Oh wait, I was confused because the threat got hijacked again.

Sorry.
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.
    ~Oscar Wilde

His mug shot is some kind of ugly...I really didn't recognize him:

...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

Turn Off Ads?