Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: To get Dontrelle?

To get Dontrelle?

Would you give up Ed and Homer? Ken Rosenthal mentions the possible trade scenario on the Fox MLB website.
    Here is the link. Count me as a yes...
    http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb
    Baseball is life

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

Re: To get Dontrelle?

Here is the story

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/5549214

Marlins owner Jeffrey Loria keeps denying that the team might trade left-hander Dontrelle Willis, growing increasingly outraged by each new round of speculation.

What Loria can't deny is the sheer logic of moving Willis at the July 31 non-waiver deadline if the rebuilding Marlins get the right offer.

Willis, 24, will appeal not just to the losers of the Roger Clemens sweepstakes, but also to any surprise team that wants to maintain its early momentum with a midseason blockbuster.

For example, what if the Reds offered a package including third baseman Edwin Encarnacion and top pitching prospect Homer Bailey?The notion isn't as far-fetched as it might appear.

The Reds' new owners want to win. And while Encarnacion and Bailey would be a high price, the Reds would get Willis for the rest of this season and all of 2007 and '08 before he becomes a free agent.

Yes, Willis' salaries in arbitration likely will exceed $7 million '07 and $10 million in '08. But his arrival would change the entire dynamic of the franchise. Willis is one of the few players in the majors who is an actual draw. If he stayed healthy — a big "if" with any pitcher — he would pay for himself.

And, as the Marlins' Loria surely recognizes, other clubs might want Willis for the same reasons as the Reds, creating the possibility of a frenzied auction before the July 31 non-waiver deadline.

Say the Brewers, like the Reds, hang around in the National League Central. Perhaps they would want to pair Willis with right-hander Ben Sheets at the top of their rotation. Perhaps they would offer a package starting with second baseman Rickie Weeks.

The Diamondbacks could be in a similar position in the NL West, seeking to put together a 1-2 combination of Willis and right-hander Brandon Webb. Outfielder Carlos Quentin and shortstop Stephen Drew are among the many Arizona prospects who could spur the Marlins' interest.

Then there are the more obvious potential suitors.

The Dodgers, Red Sox, Angels and Cubs all boast strong farm systems. Imagine the Mets adding Willis to their impressive young core. Imagine the Braves getting Willis to go with Tim Hudson and John Smoltz.

Still with us, Mr. Loria?

See you July 31 — if not before.

Wouldn't come close to getting him.
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed
    Wouldn't come close to getting him.
    Homer, EdE, and Kearns would get him. I don't want to trade those guys, but I would do it in a second to get Dontrelle. There is only one problem, Encarnacion wouldn't have a place to play with Cabrera at 3rd.

I think that BoB and Krivsky want to win, this year, we'll see how far they are willing to go. For the Reds to even be mentioned in the same sentence as Dontrelle Willis is a step in the right direction.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

You guys are going to think I'm crazy...

I like Dontrelle but I would not deal Edwin Encarnacion and Homer Bailey for him. Austin Kearns and Bailey? Yes. EE? No. Dontrelle's declining K rate worries me enough that I would not include Edwin in the deal. EE is going to be a superstar in this game and he is a guy I want to see the Reds hang on to for a long time.
    Last edited by OnBaseMachine; 04-28-2006 at 07:55 AM.
    I miss Adam Dunn.

Yeah, EE is close to untouchable. Kearns and Bailey for Willis? Yeah. I'd give em BJ too. But not EE.
    I hope it's never sunny in Philly again.

I'm not sure that DW is the kind of the pitcher should be going after. He's coming into big money, will cost a lot to get and is has more hype than success at the moment.

Arroyo is a move that I agree with in that you don't have to give up too much, won't break the bank and is less about hype and more about results.

In Australia there is a saying that you shouldn't have to mortgage the farm to get what you want and that's exactly what Willis would be.

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by Jpup
    Homer, EdE, and Kearns would get him. I don't want to trade those guys, but I would do it in a second to get Dontrelle. There is only one problem, Encarnacion wouldn't have a place to play with Cabrera at 3rd.

I think that BoB and Krivsky want to win, this year, we'll see how far they are willing to go. For the Reds to even be mentioned in the same sentence as Dontrelle Willis is a step in the right direction.

Cabrera's played some OF in his time, so he could easily go back there if they felt that EE was better defensively @ 3B. The problem is that Cabrera is better than EE defensively, so now Florida would have to put EE at a new position, maybe SS, maybe 2B.

I'm amused by all these "who would you trade for Willis" threads. Honestly, is it gonna happen? No. Even if we got Dontrelle, does that instantly make us the favorite in the NL Central? Hard to say. This team has too many bullpen woes to be magically addressed by 1 starting pitcher.

Quote Originally Posted by TC81190
    I'd give em BJ too. But not EE.
    "We know we're better than this, but we can't prove it." - Tony Gwynn

Quote Originally Posted by wheels
    I was tempted to put 'a' in there.
    I hope it's never sunny in Philly again.

I wouldn't deal EE or Kearns in that deal. What happens to the offense? Willis then goes from a team with no offense to a team that is one Jr. hammy tear away from having no O. BJ, Bailey, Wood, etc are all free game if I am concerned (but not all of them). And only if we sign him to a 5 year deal after the trade.

Greatness In The Making RedLegSuperStar's Avatar

Remember getting D-Train is like getting another bat off the bench!

Might not be a bad deal.. but i'd hate to lose EE and Bailey even to get a #1 ace.

If it is true that the Marlins offered Willis to the Mets straight up for Wright then I think offering EdE and Bailey is to much. EdE might be close the the level of Wright in a year. I would start by offering any minor league package of players that doesn't involve Bailey. Give them Wood, Bruce, etc. If we are trying to get Willis to win now then we can't give up a lot of talent on the 25 man roster. And trading Bailey is taking a chance that he isn't as good as Willis. Bailey would be under the teams control for 6 years compared to 3 for Willis, but Willis is proven and a lefty.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine
    EE is going to be a superstar in this game.
    Thats exactly right, and that is what it would take to get willis. It would take EE PLUS some other legit player/prospect. Thats why Willis isn't going to be a red.
    Weathers' W/L when I am attending (2009): 0-1

It might take more than Homer and EE to get Willis, but that would be a great start if it wasn't. I think that is a deal the Reds need to make. It would make the Reds a much better team. Imagine having Harang and Arroyo as your 2nd and 3rd best pitchers. Willis isn't cheap, but teams don't trade cheap established pitchers. That's why the Brewers have held onto Sheets for all these years even though every poster on every teams message board has proposed trades to steal Sheets from the Brewers. If the Reds can get Willis, then they need to do it no matter the cost.

Turn Off Ads?