Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Gavin Floyd

Gavin Floyd

After another rough start by Gavin Floyd last night, his 2006 ERA now stands at 8.50 in 18 innings. Floyd has proved to be a big disappointment to the Phillies early in the major league career, posting a 7.22 ERA in his first 72.1 innings of his career. Despite the horrific earned run average, Floyd has managed to put up a respectable 6.86 K/9.

I'm thinking the Philles may give up on Floyd soon and maybe make him available in a trade. That's where the Reds come in. Floyd is exactly the type of pitcher the Reds need to target; he's cheap, young, and has a power arm. The results are not there yet, but I think a change of scenery could do wonders for Gavin Floyd.

Listed at 6'4" and 225 pounds, Floyd is still only 23 years old and he possesses a low-to-mid-90's fastball, a great curveball, and a change-up. Flord owns a career minor league ERA of 3.69 in 591 innings, allowing 534 hits, 42 home runs, 230 walks, and recording 464 strikeouts. His WHIP is 1.29. While his stats doesn't warrant calling him a future No. 1 or 2 caliber pitcher, his stuff is good enough to be a top of the rotation pitcher.

Below is a further breakdown of his minor league career:

Single-A: 304 innings, 247 hits, 22 home runs, 109 walks, 255 strikeouts, 2.87 ERA, 1.17 WHIP.

Double-A: 119 innings, 93 hits, 5 home runs, 46 walks, 94 strikeouts, 2.57 ERA, 1.17 WHIP.

Triple-A: 168 innings, 194 hits, 15 home runs, 75 walks, 115 strikeouts, 5.94 ERA, 1.60 WHIP.

In my opinion, he was rushed. He was never given a chance to thoroughly dominate AA; he was already pitching in Triple-A by the age of 21 years old. I think the Reds should go relentlessly after him, offer up a deal involving Ryan Wagner plus a couple prospects not named Bailey, Wood, or Bruce for Floyd...and then hope he can turn into another Brett Myers, who also struggled in his first couple years before breaking out last season.

A few other names to add: Jason Jennings and Jeff Francis - both of whom I mentioned on here a couple nights ago - and Jerome Williams is another one.
    I miss Adam Dunn.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Gavin Floyd

You could build a strong rotation for the future with pitchers like Floyd, Francis, Jennings, and Williams.
    I hope it's never sunny in Philly again.

Cruisin' for trouble

Is Gavin Floyd, Homer Bailey's future?

More like Phillip Hughes timeline.

Floyd worries me. His Krate really isn't that good and he completely lost it once he hit AAA. Maybe he is hiding a injury, his mechanics aren't Baileyesque, they are a bit rough and messed up. Could of caught up to him. I should also say, Floyd has been "rep'd" to hit mid-90's, but he is more high 80's, low 90's. Maybe he just hit a ceiling.

SERP deep cover ops WebScorpion's Avatar

If we could get them to throw in Cole Hamels, I'd trade for Floyd ... but not without Hamels. :ughmamoru

"Okay you guys, pair up in threes!" --Yogi Berra

Quote Originally Posted by WebScorpion
    If we could get them to throw in Cole Hamels, I'd trade for Floyd ... but not without Hamels. :ughmamoru
    That 14k game was quite impressive in the INT league yesterday wasn't it

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine
    I think the Reds should go relentlessly after him, offer up a deal involving Ryan Wagner plus a couple prospects not named Bailey, Wood, or Bruce for Floyd...and then hope he can turn into another Brett Myers, who also struggled in his first couple years before breaking out last season.
    Wagner plus a prospect would be seriously overpaying for Floyd. You should only target guys like Floyd in a buy-low scenario, or wait until they run out of options and the team is forced to trade them.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool
    Wagner plus a prospect would be seriously overpaying for Floyd. You should only target guys like Floyd in a buy-low scenario, or wait until they run out of options and the team is forced to trade them.
    if you're buying with Wagner, then you are buying low

Floyd was never as good as his press and he always had, IMO, a #3 starter ceiling. Though he's been horribly misused. The kid had no business pitching an inning in the majors until next year. Now what he needs is to got to AAA and master that level for a full season. He'll go cheap to somebody at some time and somewhere down the road he might pan out (provided his arm stays healthy, which is not something I'd take for granted given how many curves he throws).

My guess is he probably won't be of any help to a major league team until roughly 2008-2009, if ever.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

SERP deep cover ops WebScorpion's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Aronchis
    That 14k game was quite impressive in the INT league yesterday wasn't it
    Yea, and he doesn't have much heat. That kid just pitches. I think we'll be seeing him soon...it's a shame he'll be on the other side. I still love to watch masterful pitching ... as long as it's not against the Reds.

Code:
    Player                IP   H   R   ER   BB    SO    HR    ERA 
    Hamels (W, 1-0)      7.0   3   0    0    0    14    0    0.00
    Last edited by WebScorpion; 04-28-2006 at 02:27 PM.

"Okay you guys, pair up in threes!" --Yogi Berra

Turn Off Ads?