Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: United 93 comes out today are you ready?

University of Cincinnati

United 93 comes out today are you ready?

United 93 the film about Flight 93 that crashed in Shanksville, PA opens nationally today and personally I cant wait there are really good reviews about it including the following:

Entertainment Weekly: "harrowing, documentary-style reenactment...."
    GRADE: A-

New York Post: "...long, brutal and honest..."
    GRADE: 3 1/2 of 4 stars

The Onion's A.V. Club: "...unforgettable, honorably intentioned..."
    GRADE: B

USA Today: "...unflinching, powerfully vesceral..."
    GRADE: 4 of 4 stars

The Village Voice: "...the film nobody wants to see, is worth seeing."
    GRADE: N/A

The New Yorker: "...stunning..."
    GRADE: N/A
    THE University of Cincinnati

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: United 93 comes out today are you ready?

Still cant decide if I want to go see or not. Whats everyone else think?

It's one of the few films I've wanted to see lately but, I have to admit, I'm a bit scared of it. I've often thought of what it must have been like to be on that plane. (For the last 5-6 years I've been on at least two flights per week, 30 weeks per year so I could imagine being in that position.)

If it truly is done honestly then I think I would be OK with it but I don't want any dramatization or false heroics. I just want to know what it was really like.

I know that no one will ever really know what it was like at that moment in time but.....

Rem

I think it's too early for a film like this to be made. The aftershocks of the attacks are still reverberating, and the attacks themselves are still fresh in the mind for many across the country.

I know I have no interest in seeing it, and many I have spoken with about it feel the same way. It's a day not many people in this country would like to relive.
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

The knowledge of what happened on the plane is about par with the knowledge of the morning movements of Pompeii in 79 AD.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou
    The knowledge of what happened on the plane is about par with the knowledge of the morning movements of Pompeii in 79 AD.
    Voice recordings from the cockpit, documented cell phone calls and records from the FAA and military would suggest otherwise.

I plan on seeing this movie but not sure when. I would also like to see World Trade Center with Nicholas Cage which is due out in August.

Voice recordings from the cockpit, documented cell phone calls and records from the FAA and military would suggest otherwise.
    Somewhat the equivalent of the worker frozen by ash at his potter wheel. Or the mother suckling her infant, you know limited information and the rest is filled in.

Personally, I wouldn't want to watch this in a crowded theatre, because I think this would be a very visceral, emotional experience and I don't want to be caught up in the emotions of other people around me. But I do want to see it.

I'd compare it to "Elephant" or "Bowling for Columbine" -- movies I wanted to see, but didn't care to share the experience with 200 people I don't know.

I'll probably rent it or catch it on a movie channel in a few months.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Quote Originally Posted by registerthis
    I think it's too early for a film like this to be made. The aftershocks of the attacks are still reverberating, and the attacks themselves are still fresh in the mind for many across the country.

I know I have no interest in seeing it, and many I have spoken with about it feel the same way. It's a day not many people in this country would like to relive.
    I agree completely. I don't think this is a country that has learned how to grieve, and that films with violin-soaked scores is still looked on as the way to go. I do not want to see it. It was real life, and not necessarily real life that I want to see as portrayed in the movie just yet. Not to mention the implications that may come from such a film that could affect the way we view current political situations that in fact aren't at all related....but that's for the peanut gallery I suppose, and anyway I haven't seen it so not very fair of me.

Quote Originally Posted by registerthis

I agree completely.

My wife and I were in the theatre a couple weeks back and they had on the trailer for this movie. I'm a pretty stolid guy and have emotional armor a few inches thick. But just seeing the trailer really upset me. It's still all too fresh and raw.

I will say this though. I read the Time Magazine article about these 9/11 movies. And for Flight 93, they talked to David Beamer (Todd Beamer's dad) and he was OK with it. I used to work with David and a more quality and distinguished guy you'll never find. So if he's good with it, then at least the movie must be done well.

Pay attention to the open sky

I couldn't want to see a movie less.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

CBS already did a TV version... and as much as it pained me to watch it, it was very very well done, though brutal. I'm not sure what the theater version could possibly add.

And, believe it or not, they actually know quite a bit about what happened because several of the passengers were on cell phones with loved ones (why the phones weren't collected by the terrorists is beyond me). Many of those phones were still on during the fatal event.

Those people were very very brave.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/united_93/

Rotten Tomatoes has it rated a 94 which is esteem praise. From all reviews I've read, it appears to have been done in the right manner.

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum
    I agree completely. I don't think this is a country that has learned how to grieve, and that films with violin-soaked scores is still looked on as the way to go. I do not want to see it. It was real life, and not necessarily real life that I want to see as portrayed in the movie just yet. Not to mention the implications that may come from such a film that could affect the way we view current political situations that in fact aren't at all related....but that's for the peanut gallery I suppose, and anyway I haven't seen it so not very fair of me.
    Maybe one of the reasons we haven't learned how to grieve is because we don't like to confront real, raw emotions. If something could potentially hurt us, we hold it at a distance. We'll take a glossed-over spectacle like "Titanic" instead of something raw and realistic like "Elephant".

Personally, I think the best way to with pain is to confront it, not ignore it.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Quote Originally Posted by pedro
    I couldn't want to see a movie less.
    Pretty much how I feel. It seems like whenever Hollywood tries to dramatize an real life event like this they fail miserably. I don't think will be an exception. Most of know what happened, why do we need a movie. They'll most likely over-dramatize it and turn the characters into typical over the top movie characters.

Turn Off Ads?