Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Former Pitcher Steve Howe killed in Truck accident...

Former Pitcher Steve Howe killed in Truck accident...

"Some of the guys who pitched well for us last year aren't going to make the ballclub," Narron said.

Pete Rose, when asked by David Letterman who he likes in the MLB playoffs:

"You sound like you're betting on baseball."

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Former Pitcher Steve Howe killed in Truck accident...

Sad
    Go Gators!

Not much information at this time. I have to wonder if drugs were involved. Howe had all the potential in the world, he just kept falling victim to his own demons. I read his book that he wrote back when he was with the Rangers. I think it was titled "Inside the Lines" or something like that. A sad end to a tragic life.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Stat geek...and proud

Sad story. Not just his death, but most of his life as well. Could never shake those demons, and is of course a punchline when morons try to defend Pete Rose. "Well Steve Howe kept coming back."

The old joke...if the Bears can have a refridgerator, why can't the Cubs have a coke machine?

Former major league pitcher Steve Howe killed in truck accident

By Ben Walker
    AP Baseball Writer
    Published April 28, 2006, 7:44 PM CDT

NEW YORK -- Steve Howe, the relief pitcher whose promising career was derailed by cocaine and alcohol abuse, died Friday when his pickup truck rolled over in Coachella, Calif. He was 48.

Howe was killed at 5:55 a.m. PDT about 130 miles east of Los Angeles, said Dalyn Backes of the Riverside County coroner's office. He had been in Arizona on business and was driving back to the family home in Valencia, Calif., business partner Judy Welp said.

Toxicology tests had not yet been performed.

The hard-throwing lefty was the 1980 NL Rookie of the Year with the Los Angeles Dodgers, got the final out to clinch the 1981 World Series and was an All-Star the next year.

But for all of his success on the field, Howe was constantly troubled by addictions -- he was suspended seven times and became a symbol of the rampant cocaine problem that plagued baseball in the 1980s.

``I just saw Steve last winter when his son was pitching against my son,'' former teammate and Angels manager Mike Scioscia said Friday night. ``Everything was looking up for him and he looked great. It makes you numb when you hear about a situation like this. He had a roller-coaster ride.''

Howe was 47-41 with 91 saves and a 3.03 ERA with the Dodgers, Twins, Rangers and Yankees. His final season in the majors was 1996, and the Yankees released him in June.

A moment of silence was observed at Yankee Stadium before New York played Toronto on Friday night. Howe played for the Yankees from 1991-96.

Two days after the Yankees let him go in 1996, Howe was arrested at a Delta Airlines terminal at New York's John F. Kennedy International Airport when a loaded .357 Magnum was detected inside his suitcase. He later pleaded guilty to gun possession and was placed on three years' probation and given 150 hours of community service.

Howe tried a comeback in 1997 with Sioux Falls of the independent Northern League and retired after injuring his forearm. That August, he was critically injured in a motorcycle accident in Montana and charged with drunken driving; those charges were later dropped when prosecutors decided his blood test was improperly obtained.

``He was extremely talented, very confident on the mound and had an incredible arm,'' Scioscia said. ``Obviously, he didn't reach his potential because of other things that crept into his life.''

Said former Dodgers manager Tom Lasorda: ``Steve played for me for five years and I thought the world of him. I am truly sorry to hear about his passing and my deepest sympathies go out to his family.''

Howe was suspended for the 1984 season by commissioner Bowie Kuhn for cocaine use. Howe was out of the majors in 1986 after a relapse the previous August with Minnesota.

Texas released him before the 1988 season because of an alcohol problem, and he did not pitch again in the big leagues until 1991.

In recent years, Howe owned an energy drink company in Arizona.

``His goal was to bring an all-natural energy drink to the United States,'' Welp said. ``He was so giving, always trying to help people. He used to always say, 'I'm all about the underdog.'''

When baseball began checking for steroids in 2005, Howe said he supported a testing program.

``I was one of the first to be fried and tried,'' he said then.

Yet Howe said he did not think the steroid problem was as big as some believed.

``For whatever reasons, holes have been dug by everybody, so you do what it takes to clear it,'' he said at the time. ``A guy asked me one time, 'Well, how bad is the drug problem in major league baseball?' And I go, 'Go take a survey of your housewives, your doctors, your lawyers, your people down the street, and there you got your problem.'''

Howe was 7-9 with 17 saves in 1980, pitching in 59 games as a major part of the Dodgers' bullpen. He played for Los Angeles through the 1983 season.

``He had a lot of talent and his heart was in the right place,'' former teammate Steve Sax told The Associated Press by telephone. ``He meant well. He had a lot of opportunities. He just had a lot of problems that he couldn't solve.''

Howe's struggles were splashed across the sports pages by the mid-1980s, when cocaine use was baseball's most well-publicized predicament. On Thursday, commissioner Bud Selig said that unlike with steroids, baseball was well aware of its troubles then.

``In the '80s, this sport had a very serious cocaine problem -- and that was a pretty consistent pattern,'' Selig said.

Howe was survived by his wife, Cindy, daughter Chelsi and son Brian.
    Will trade this space for a #1 starter.

Sad story.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

http://www.spokesmanreview.com/sport....asp?ID=137822

Former major league pitcher Steve Howe had methamphetamine in his system when he died after his pickup truck drifted off a desert highway, a coroner's autopsy showed.

Howe, a former National League Rookie of the Year whose career was beset by drug and alcohol abuse, was killed April 28 in the single-vehicle crash in Coachella, Calif., about 150 miles east of Los Angeles.

Toxicological results determined there was methamphetamine in his bloodstream, the coroner's office said Tuesday. The amount of the illegal drug wasn't disclosed.

The 48-year-old Howe was on his way home to Valencia, Calif., when his pickup veered into the median and began to roll, witnesses toldinvestigators. Howe, who was not wearing a seat belt, was ejected from the truck which landed on top of him.

Howe was the 1980 N.L. Rookie of the Year with Los Angeles, closed out the Dodgers' 1981 World Series championship and was an All-Star the next year.

But for all of his success on the field, the hard-throwing lefty was plagued by his addictions. He was suspended seven times and became a symbol of the rampant cocaine problem that tormented baseball in the 1980s.

During the 1992 season, he became the first baseball player to be banned for life because of drugs.

An arbitrator later reinstated him after the season.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Umm.....necro much?

Tragic story. Hate to hear it.

Legends Never Die

Yeah that is awful but in all honesty the way Howe lived his life is it really any surprise that it happened?
    "Baseball is a simple game. If you have good players and if you keep them in the right frame of mind then the manager is a success."- Sparky Anderson

If anyone could make me a real signature that would be awesome I am not great with photoshop.

RIP

Quote Originally Posted by Cuban_Missile View Post
    Yeah that is awful but in all honesty the way Howe lived his life is it really any surprise that it happened?
    Not only that, but glad he didnt take out anyone else in that wreck. Coming back from business to his family loaded, wtf.
    UNC Tar Heels 2017 National Champions 6 time NCAA Champs!!!
    57, 82, 93, 05, 09, 17
    Go Heels!!!!!

Last edited by Kingspoint; 04-26-2011 at 12:55 PM.

This is old news.

Guess what?

Babe Ruth is dead, too.

Turn Off Ads?