Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: And the NFL Draft Starts With a Bang

And the NFL Draft Starts With a Bang

Didn't see this one coming. With the Saints pretty much set at RB, im betting teams are going to be licking their chops to trade up. San Fran, im looking at you.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft0...ory?id=2425818

Even as Houston Texans officials continued to insist they have made no decision about the first selection in the draft, there were strong indications Friday afternoon that the team has redirected its focus to North Carolina State defensive end Mario Williams.

Texans executives were in substantive negotiations with Ben Dogra, the representative for Williams, throughout the day. Conversely, ESPN.com learned that the agent for Southern California tailback and Heisman Trophy winner Reggie Bush had not heard from the Texans, as of late Friday afternoon, in more than 24 hours.

The two sides spoke twice Thursday, but only briefly and made no progress toward an accord. During the week, progress was incremental and one person close to the discussions termed them "a little bit like being in quicksand."

In addition, league sources told ESPN.com that, in terms of guaranteed money, the latest offer made to Williams exceeds the best proposal made to Bush.

Minus any conversations with the Bush camp since Thursday, there seemed little chance the Texans could strike a pre-draft accord with the draft's highest-profile performer even if they were to jump-start the negotiations on Friday evening.

Texans general manager Charley Casserly had cautioned earlier in the week that anyone concluding the team had decided on Bush and was only using Williams as leverage was mistaken. He reiterated that the Texans were serious about both players, negotiating with both agents, and that one of the two would be the top pick.

Dogra, however, was originally reluctant to enter into negotiations because he felt that his client might be used to force Bush into a deal. Clearly, the Texans convinced him that was not the case.

Were the Texans to choose Williams, it would mark the first time since 2000 that a defensive player was the first prospect off the board. The Cleveland Browns chose defensive Courtney Brown with the first pick that year.

The choice of Williams by the Texans could also dramatically alter the landscape of the early segment of the first round. The New Orleans Saints, with the second choice, have indicated they would snap up Bush if he fell to their slot. But the Saints had hinted, in general, that they might entertain trade offers for their pick.

The availability of Bush at the No. 2 spot would almost certainly elicit trade offers.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: And the NFL Draft Starts With a Bang

I wish the Bengals could find some way to trade up for Michael Huff.

I love that guy's game.

That's just crazy. When you have the chance to get a Reggie Bush, you get him. This is why the Texans are a bad football team.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

I dunno, I think Bush was a great college player, I worry his game wouldn't work as well in the NFL, especially without a strong line in front of him.
    Go Gators!

One Man Army

While Bush gets a ton of hype, I think it is merited. His game will likely be more along the lines of Marshall Faulk or Brian Westbrook without the injuries and a better inside game. He might not be a traditional RB, but he does have the ability to be a Pro Bowler at RB.

However, if the rumors are true, I'm guessing Bush's agents are not being flexible with their contract demands. Getting Bush would be a nice addition for the Saints, but pretty much every team in the Top 10 would likely fall over one another to trade up for him at #2. Green Bay or Oakland would not surprise me, in my opinion.

If he wanted more money than Alex Smith got last year then I sort of understand the Texans reasoning... Conventional Wisdom dictates that you just don't give RBs QB type money.

Mario was probably more reasonable in his contract demands...

I still take Reggie Bush though. Six days a week and 2x on sundays.
    Last edited by WMR; 04-28-2006 at 09:09 PM.

One Man Army

It's official, Mario to Houston:

Link

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS
    If he wanted more money than Alex Smith got last year then I sort of understand the Texans reasoning... Conventional Wisdom dictates that you just don't give RBs QB type money.

Mario was probably more reasonable in his contract demands...

I still take Michael Bush though. Six days a week and 2x on sundays.

I think you mean Reggie Bush

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw
    I think you mean Reggie Bush
    Whoops!!

I Still Miss Sean Casey

My gut feeling is that the Saints will trade No. 1 picks with the Jets, and the Jets will grab Bush. Saints will take D'Brickashaw Ferguson, the OL from Virginia, at No. 4. Titans still take a QB at No. 3, but the latest rumblings have Tennessee throwing a curveball and taking the home-college kid, Cutler.

Williams is also an elite prospect. In any year he is a good choice at #1.

The Texans have many, many holes and RB is not one of them. Davis is solid. If the Texans want to improve they need to start with both the offensive and the defensive lines, and this is a very good start. Williams helps the Texans much more than Bush will.

Building a line is the quickest way to jump start rebuilding a football team.

I hear the Texans also want to tarde back up to the 1st round to get one of the other RB's which I don't understand. They have much more glaring holes than RB.

At least 6 teams have already contacted the Saints about trading for the 2nd pick

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by savafan
    That's just crazy. When you have the chance to get a Reggie Bush, you get him. This is why the Texans are a bad football team.
    Their GM must be brain dead, if you don't want Bush trade the pick!

I don't normally take issue with filling holes, but a Reggie Bush like talent comes along so rarely that I think you have to take him. I have a feeling this will wind up being a Bowie over Jordan type of mistake of colossal proportions. Let the bidding war begin for the #2 pick.
    Last edited by MWM; 04-28-2006 at 11:58 PM.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Quote Originally Posted by Reds4Life
    Their GM must be brain dead, if you don't want Bush trade the pick!
    They probably expected the Saints to take Williams, so they had nowhere to trade.
    Go Gators!

Turn Off Ads?