Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Pitching???

Pitching???

We all know that for the Reds to continue their winning ways for the rest of the season, they need to make moves to upgrade the pitching staff (both the rotation and bullpen). What's the feeling out here? Do we think that Wayne will make a move to finally get one or more of DWill, White and Hammond out of the picture? Is there anyone readily available that could make a difference? I'm thinking one or more of the following teams/players:

1) Florida: Scott Olsen. They could use some younger, positional players to go with the plethora of young pitching they have collected during the fire sale. Without giving up anyone on the current MLB roster, I assume BJ would be wanted. No problems there.
    2) Minny: Scott Baker. I would love to see them make a move for him, but his price tag might be too high.
    3) Mets: Jorge Julio. This one I think could happen. Julio seems to have already worn out his welcome in NY and they could use some help at 2b.

My main concern is that teams will try for EdE or Kearns in deals for these guys. If that is the case, I would rather wait than mortgage the future, especially this early in the season.

Anyone else?

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Re: Pitching???

I would be surprised if WK made anymore "impact" moves (ie, Arroyo for WMP) this season. I believe this year is more of an evaluation in progress, and so far we've seen Womack hasn't passed the test, so WK went and made a minor move and picked up C. Ross. I can see more of those type moves being made, where it's role player for role player, or something similar.

Unfortunately, the Reds just don't have what it takes to go get an impact player without drastically changing the 25 man roster, and I don't think WK wants to do that this year.

Wait until the winter meetings, and then see what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21
    I would be surprised if WK made anymore "impact" moves (ie, Arroyo for WMP) this season. I believe this year is more of an evaluation in progress.
    I disagree with that. If the Reds continue to win, then it would be a mistake not to do whatever it takes to win, nad I believe they will. This ownership has already proven to be different than anyone else in recent Reds history.

Quote Originally Posted by MattyMo4Life
    I disagree with that. If the Reds continue to win, then it would be a mistake not to do whatever it takes to win, nad I believe they will. This ownership has already proven to be different than anyone else in recent Reds history.
    Agree 100%. If the Reds can upgrade the ML roster w/o changing the key players, they have to make the move. But I would not want them to deal from youth (Dunn, Kearns, EE, Lopez) to get a 37 year old pitcher, whoever that may be.

An upgrade at starting pitcher that costs real money won't come until June at the earliest, probably the latter part of July. This will only come if the Reds continue to be in post-season contention and Krivsky won't be trading parts of the team that will be valuable for a number of seasons for one shot of glory.

An upgrade in the bullpen is more likely sooner, even though it appears that White and Hammond have gotten a little better as the season has worn on--and Narron is learning where and when to use them. With that said, I think Valentin may go for some help in middle relief.
    Where we gonna go?

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

I stand by my original statement.

"Unfortunately, the Reds just don't have what it takes to go get an impact player without drastically changing the 25 man roster, and I don't think WK wants to do that this year."

If they drastically change the 25 man roster to get an impact player, then we better be a lock for the playoffs, or else it will be a waste to shake up our active roster.

I would love to see us in contention and WK make a complimentary move to push us for the playoffs, but without moving someone we probably don't want to or can't move, I don't see it happening.

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44
    But I would not want them to deal from youth (Dunn, Kearns, EE, Lopez) to get a 37 year old pitcher, whoever that may be.
    That is what I'm afraid of, it would be shortsighted and foolish..please no Wayno
    Go Gators!

Turn Off Ads?