Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Can anyone clarify: Interstate Speed Traps

Can anyone clarify: Interstate Speed Traps

I was always told that the highway patrol was required to have their headlights on while sitting in the median trying to catch speeders. For about the last month now, I've noticed many a dark car with the radar gun hanging out the window on my late night/early morning drives home from work. It's also not just the OSHP, I've seen patrol officers doing this in several cities lately as well. Before the last month, I can't really recall having seen police cars trying to catch speeders without their headlights on. Has something in the law changed that they are now allowed to do this? Has it always been this way, and I was ignorant about it? Someone help me on this, I'm perplexed.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Can anyone clarify: Interstate Speed Traps

Quote Originally Posted by savafan
    I was always told that the highway patrol was required to have their headlights on while sitting in the median trying to catch speeders. For about the last month now, I've noticed many a dark car with the radar gun hanging out the window on my late night/early morning drives home from work. It's also not just the OSHP, I've seen patrol officers doing this in several cities lately as well. Before the last month, I can't really recall having seen police cars trying to catch speeders without their headlights on. Has something in the law changed that they are now allowed to do this? Has it always been this way, and I was ignorant about it? Someone help me on this, I'm perplexed.
    I've asked the same question of a friend of mine who is a HW patrolman. He says there is no such law.

But even if there was, and you got stopped by a patrolman who didn't have his lights on, how are you gonna prove it in a court of law? It's your word against his, and a vast majority of the time the judge is gonna take the officer's word over yours.
    Last edited by GAC; 04-29-2006 at 06:10 AM.
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

Never heard of such a thing.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Your killin' me Smalls! StillFunkyB's Avatar

I was also told once that they are not allowed to sit on private property as well. Never believed it, just like the headlight thing.

FWIW, I was always told it was the parking lights that had to be on. Anyhoo, I never really believed that one either. It's like GAC said, your word against his/hers.
    "And the fact that watching him pitch is like having someone poop on your soul." FCB on Gary Majewski

I always heard that they had to be in a marked car, visible from the roadway. Whether that means having the lights on or just having reflective material on the side, I don't know. I heard the reasoning behind it was to avoid accidents. A dark patrol car can be very difficult to see at night when it's pulling out from a direction you don't normally expect cars.

On the other hand, the Ohio turnpike has a set up that can be scary. Ever since they expanded to 3 lanes each way, many sections have a concrete barrier separating traffic instead of a median. At regular intervals, they have openings in the barrier with little concrete flares that extend toward the roadway. Highway Patrol likes to duck into those concrete openings to watch for speeders. The problem is that, at night at least, it makes it very hard to seem them, because the reflective parts of their cars are hidden behind the concrete flare. There have been a couple times where an officer has pulled out from one of those at night and forgotten to turn on his lights right away. It's really startling to suddenly see a dark patrol car pulling out almost right in front of you with no lights on.
    Burn down the disco. Hang the blessed DJ. Because the music that he constantly plays, it says nothing to me about my life.

post hype sleeper cincinnati chili's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by StillFunkyB
    I was also told once that they are not allowed to sit on private property as well.
    Do you mean sit on private property WITH the permission of the owners or WITHOUT the permission of the owners?

If it's the latter, the police are never allowed to station themselves on private property unless they're doing some type of search based on probable cause or warrant, or if they're there under some other type of court order. Private property, by definition, gives you the right to exclude others. "Others" includes the government, with only a limited number of exceptions.

In terms of speed traps, you don't have a reasonable expectation of privacy on public roads. This is true in the U.S. constitution, and as far as I know it's true in every state constitution as well. Therefore, I would assume that police can hide behind bridges, guardrails, or whatever they want to do in order to catch you doing an unlawful act. There's also a lot of case law involving helicopters. That may very by state. But I do know that both the U.S. constitution and the Massachusetts constitution allows the police to fly over your house without a warrant or probable cause (to search for marijuana, speeding motorists, etc.).
    How, then, are those people of the future—who are taking steroids every day—going to look back on baseball players who used steroids? They're going to look back on them as pioneers. They're going to look back at it and say "So what?" - Bill James, Cooperstown and the 'Roids

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee
    I always heard that they had to be in a marked car, visible from the roadway.
    Do you recall if that was an internal Ohio Trooper POLICY or an Ohio statute?

If it's the former, it's not going to prevent you from getting a ticket. Even if it's the latter, it might not help you in court, since it sounds like the PURPOSE of the policy/law is safety, rather than privacy.
    How, then, are those people of the future—who are taking steroids every day—going to look back on baseball players who used steroids? They're going to look back on them as pioneers. They're going to look back at it and say "So what?" - Bill James, Cooperstown and the 'Roids

My B-i-l does some work with the patrol here in Ohio. I'll get the scoop from him.
    Will trade this space for a #1 starter.

Most enforcement agencies do NOT have to be in marked vehicles. In fact, the agency writing most of the speeding tickets on the interstates around KY is Vehicle Enforcement. They used to focus primarily on overweight truckers at highway scales, but now they are enjoying the windfall revenue that is passenger speeding tickets. The are almost exclusively in unmarked passenger vehicles. Although many of their vehicles now possess daytime running lights, I do not think that is a requirement to have their headlamps on either. I dunno about Ohio, but in the Commonwealth of Kentucky an enforcement vehicle CAN be hidden--so long as it is situated along the state right-of-way (i.e. NOT on private property).
    "Booing on opening day is like telling grandma her house smells like old lady."--WOY

Quote Originally Posted by cincinnati chili
    Do you recall if that was an internal Ohio Trooper POLICY or an Ohio statute?

If it's the former, it's not going to prevent you from getting a ticket. Even if it's the latter, it might not help you in court, since it sounds like the PURPOSE of the policy/law is safety, rather than privacy.
    I checked the Ohio Revised Code, but haven't keycited/shepardized the statutes. ORC 4549.13 requires officers on duty for monitoring misdemeanor violations of motor vehicle and traffic laws to be in a marked car with a flashing light on top. Under 4549.15, such officers have to be in uniform. An officer who fails to abide by either of these restrictions at the time of arrest is incompetent to testify against the violator (4549.14, 4549.16).

http://onlinedocs.andersonpublishing...-h.htm&cp=PORC

That I can see on such a short search, there is nothing about keeping their lights on or having to be visible from the roadway, so those may be OSHP policy, or may have been at one time. Or they could be common misconceptions.

While Ohio could recognize a greater expectation of privacy than the US Constitution or other states, I suspect the policy behind them is more likely to be public safety based.
    Burn down the disco. Hang the blessed DJ. Because the music that he constantly plays, it says nothing to me about my life.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee
    I checked the Ohio Revised Code, but haven't keycited/shepardized the statutes. ORC 4549.13 requires officers on duty for monitoring misdemeanor violations of motor vehicle and traffic laws to be in a marked car with a flashing light on top. Under 4549.15, such officers have to be in uniform. An officer who fails to abide by either of these restrictions at the time of arrest is incompetent to testify against the violator (4549.14, 4549.16).

http://onlinedocs.andersonpublishing...-h.htm&cp=PORC

That I can see on such a short search, there is nothing about keeping their lights on or having to be visible from the roadway, so those may be OSHP policy, or may have been at one time. Or they could be common misconceptions.
    There is no requirement that the officer have his lights on in his car or be visible in order to make the elements of a traffic offense.

In order to convcit someone on a traffic stop, the prosecutor in the case must prove the following facts:

* Identification: The officer must be able to identify the defendant sitting in court as the individual he pulled over.

* Jurisdiction: The officer must testify that the action occured in the county/city that the court sits in

* Uniformed Officer: A traffic stop can only occur by an officer who is in uniform at the time of the stop

* Marked Car: The officer must be driving in a marked police cruiser. Other states DO NOT have this requirement -- such as Indiana, where you can be pulled over by an unmarked cop car.

* Elements of the Offense: Prosecutor must get testimony on the record that you violated all of the statutory elements of the offense.

That's it. As long as the prosecutor gets all of that ony the record, you're busted unless you can offer evidence that raises reasonable doubt about the veracity of the officer's testimony.
    Championships Matter.
    23 Years and Counting...

The more I think about it, the purpose of requiring the car to have police lights is probably to prevent imposter policemen... like that guy from the NBA who used to pull people over for fun.

The only people that want police officers visible (car in the open and lights on) are those whose intent is to not obey the law. Face it!
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

The more I think about it, the purpose of requiring the car to have police lights is probably to prevent imposter policemen... like that guy from the NBA who used to pull people over for fun.
    I agree somewhat, but it might also help avoid unnecessary pursuits. It ensures that people know that the person trying to pull them over is a law enforcement officer. Are you going to stop just because some guy in an unmarked car pulls up to you going 70 mph and flashes a badge at you? At night, on a highway, with no one else around?

Are you talking about Shaq? I know he's an officer of the law. lmao, imagine getting pulled over by shaq.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"

Turn Off Ads?