Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hey Steel

Hey Steel

Remember when you and I were begging for the Reds to go and acquire Jonny Gomes from the Devil Rays? The D-Rays were down on him for some reason and some say they were willing to trade him because they felt he was expendable with Rocco Baldelli, Carl Crawford, Joey Gathright, and Delmon Young already in the organization.

Well, that would be looking like a pretty good acquisition at this point, eh? If the .282/.372/.534 statline with 21 home runs in 348 atbats last year didn't solidify him as one of the top young hitters in the game, then the .316/.461/.759 and 11 home runs this year should do it. This guy is a mini-Adam Dunn with a little less walks and maybe not as much power, though he is pretty darn close. He also has a good shot at breaking Dunn's single season strikeout record.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/player...?playerId=5860

http://www.thebaseballcube.com/playe...ny-gomes.shtml
    I miss Adam Dunn.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Hey Steel

Jonny Gomes is a guy I'd hoped would fall through the cracks last season.

Unfortunately, he sealed those cracks himself. I'll have to be happy with having him on my FBB team I guess. Only guy I've ever picked up off waivers and then designated as a keeper.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

White Castle to the Nile Crash Davis's Avatar

Great call.

I vaguely remember M2 calling for a Gomes trade when he was still in high A ball. Said he was a guy we could steal b/c Tampa Bay wouldn't appreciate what he brings to the table offensively.

This must have been about four years ago, and I don't think 99% of us had ever heard of him.
    "I fought because I understood and could not bear to understand, that it was my destiny -- unlike that of my father, whose fate it was to hear the roar of the crowd -- to sit in the stands with most men and acclaim others. It was my fate, my destiny, my end, to be a fan."

Hey..it's Tampa Bay..we might still have a shot
    Go Gators!

Designated Threadkiller LincolnparkRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed
    Hey..it's Tampa Bay..we might still have a shot
    Problem is once they recognize that they have some talent the other teams have to pay through the nose(Kazmir) to get one of their players.
    Climbing down from the bridge, but keeping the torch lit until Dusty's fate is settled

If Tampa Bay was smart it would trade Carl Crawford for pitching and pair Gomes with Delmon Young in the OF corners.

Elijah Dukes is an interesting guy in that systems these days. He's from Tampa and, like a lot of players from Tampa, he's got some personal issues that come attached to his talent. Yet it's big talent and he's blocked on the OF corners in that organization. I'd get around that by playing him in CF, but he may be an orphan behind Young, Crawford and Gomes.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

Quote Originally Posted by M2
    If Tampa Bay was smart it would trade Carl Crawford for pitching and pair Gomes with Delmon Young in the OF corners.
    [bad joke]
    ..and if you don't, Delmon might throw something at you.
    [/bad joke]
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

White Castle to the Nile Crash Davis's Avatar

Courtesy of today's Will Carroll:

Speaking of the Devil Rays, this article is amazing. Jonny Gomes has nitro pills he carries just in case he has his SECOND heart attack. Gomes is fast becoming one of my favorite players and is, for a lot of reasons, an easy one to root for.
    "I fought because I understood and could not bear to understand, that it was my destiny -- unlike that of my father, whose fate it was to hear the roar of the crowd -- to sit in the stands with most men and acclaim others. It was my fate, my destiny, my end, to be a fan."

Quote Originally Posted by SteelSD
    I'll have to be happy with having him on my FBB team I guess.
    Because of you, I drafted him in the 12th round this season. A little high perhaps, but I was afraid to let him drop too far. Needless to say, I'm pleased. Just wanted to say thanks for putting him on my radar last season.
    "...You just have a wider lens than one game."
    --Former Reds GM Wayne Krivsky, on why he didn't fly Josh Hamilton to Colorado for one game.

"...its money well-spent. Don't screw around with your freedom."
    --Roy Tucker, on why you need to lawyer up when you find yourself swimming with sharks.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Nd2
    Because of you, I drafted him in the 12th round this season. A little high perhaps, but I was afraid to let him drop too far. Needless to say, I'm pleased. Just wanted to say thanks for putting him on my radar last season.
    12th round? If folks let Gomes drop to round 12 then I better hear about how you won that league in October. My league allows seven keepers and Gomes was one of them so I think you got extreme value in the 12th. And no problem for the tip. Most underrated player in either league in my estimation. The only other guy who'd compete for most underrated player, IMHO, is Brandon Webb (also a keeper for me).

Now if you got Gomes, Ervin Santana, and Curtis Granderson, then I'll give you complete props.

Keep an eye on Sidney Ponson BTW. Dave Duncan does good work with talented pitchers. Also keep an eye on Jose Lopez (Seattle) at 2B. He won't walk. But he's got the ability to be a mini Alfonso Soriano (low OBP, high SLG). That's got value in a FBB league.

My current pick for "guy Reds need to trade for" is Pittsburgh Catcher Ryan Doumit. Pittsburgh isn't convinced about his defensive ability but the guy is going to rake (for a Catcher). But Pitt is stupid so a guy like Doumit should come cheap and would produce a solid domino effect of trades for value from the Catcher position. If Doumit gets playing time, he's a to-have sleeper.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

Now if you got Gomes, Ervin Santana, and Curtis Granderson, then I'll give you complete props.
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

Quote Originally Posted by Puffy
    Niiice.

--Ted Williams

Niiice.
    I did have to drop Granderson though - I have Sheffield, Beltran, Drew, Gomes and Giles in the outfield and just had no roster space to keep him.
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

Nope. Dropped the ball on Santana and drug my feet just a bit too long on both Granderson and Verlander.

My current pick for "guy Reds need to trade for" is Pittsburgh Catcher Ryan Doumit. Pittsburgh isn't convinced about his defensive ability but the guy is going to rake (for a Catcher). But Pitt is stupid so a guy like Doumit should come cheap and would produce a solid domino effect of trades for value from the Catcher position. If Doumit gets playing time, he's a to-have sleeper.
    I don't usually comment on rumors, but since it's Will Carroll...

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/ar...articleid=5037

One rumor from the last few days is that Oliver Perez and Ryan Doumit are being dangled to the Phillies…
    "...You just have a wider lens than one game."
    --Former Reds GM Wayne Krivsky, on why he didn't fly Josh Hamilton to Colorado for one game.

"...its money well-spent. Don't screw around with your freedom."
    --Roy Tucker, on why you need to lawyer up when you find yourself swimming with sharks.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Nd2
    One rumor from the last few days is that Oliver Perez and Ryan Doumit are being dangled to the Phillies…
    In exchange for?

I'd be willing to put together something solid for those two.

Turn Off Ads?