Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Annoying

Re: Annoying

Smack em
    Go Gators!

2. Turn Off Ads?

I once told a woman at Starbucks to silence her child, whatever the cost. She argued with a sense of entitlement that being a parent brings, and I told her politely, but firmly, that she needed to apply punishment to her child or the world will someday, and that if she loves the thing, she needs to suck it up and let the hammer fall. She failed to heed the wisdom of my words, but the austere tone of the conversation shut the kid up, so I had a temporary victory.
    "Don't trust any statistics you did not fake yourself."--Winston Churchill

Best thing I have ever heard is that in some schools, teachers aren't allowed to say no or other "negative words." I don't know, but that would seem to confuse a kid more than help. I can't imagine politely saying a phrase like "Please refrain from doing that" while a kid was doing something that could hurt themselves or someone else. A kid needs a firm no every once in a while. Crazy how people have to be all "positive" and by the book when it comes to kids. Its a wonder any of us turned out to be anything but hard criminals.

Quote Originally Posted by SeeinRed
    Best thing I have ever heard is that in some schools, teachers aren't allowed to say no or other "negative words." I don't know, but that would seem to confuse a kid more than help. I can't imagine politely saying a phrase like "Please refrain from doing that" while a kid was doing something that could hurt themselves or someone else. A kid needs a firm no every once in a while. Crazy how people have to be all "positive" and by the book when it comes to kids. Its a wonder any of us turned out to be anything but hard criminals.

It's funny you say that, I was just having a similar conversation the other day. I teach 7th graders, which I love, but every now and then they just won't stop talking. I can say "Please stop talking" or "Quiet down" and they don't respond to what I'm saying. Every now and then I gotta break out that horrid "Shut up" and then they get quiet right away. I have a good rapport with my kids, but for whatever reason, that carries a more serious tone. I don't use it often, but it gets the point across.

Please don't think I'm a horrible teacher.

Quote Originally Posted by The Baumer
    This reminds me of when I was at a restaurant once and this couple in their thirties walked in. The host walked them over to a table near some children who were playing the video games/claw machine and the woman asked "Are there any sections without kids?" The waiter hesitated for a second, then reminded her "This is a family restaurant, m'am."

I can't identify with people who expect young kids to go to a ball game and not say a word. They're kids. Unless they are touching you, shooting spitballs at the back of your head, or yelling directly into your ear I don't see what the big deal is. It's a ballgame, not the opera.
    An out of control kid is an out of control kid. Yelling, clapping, asking daddy questions is fine. Screaming, kicking the back of the seat, crying--then you need to find a babysitter for that thing, or at least have the common decency to take it out to the pop stand and calm it down.

What I can't stand are people who think that just because they have a kid, they have some special dispensation to turn it loose like a lawn mower in a crowded room.
    Last edited by Falls City Beer; 05-01-2006 at 08:15 AM.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Zoinks!

Pretty much any time that there is someone annoying in front of, behind or beside me, at a ballgame or any other type of entertainment, it is an adult....usually in their 20s (though not always) and thinking that they are much funnier than they really are and that the entire venue should be captivated with what they are saying and/or doing. Of course, I am always the jerk for asking them to be a little quieter (not so much at the ballpark) or less profane (usually at the ballpark) if my kids are there. I like beer as much as the next guy but as Clint said, a man's got to know his limitations.

If that happens where I am sitting, I simply move on my own to a set of empty seats (of which, sadly, there are usually plenty)

Quote Originally Posted by membengal
    If that happens where I am sitting, I simply move on my own to a set of empty seats (of which, sadly, there are usually plenty)
    My family does that to me when I take them to the game.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Last season, my best friend found himself sitting next to Damian Thorne personafied at a game versus the Pirates. After about three innings of full-blown romper room, he decided he could take no more and used the kid's lower calf as a napkin to remove gobs of excess mustard from his pretzel.

The kid's shreiking caused his mom to promptly confront my friend....who, of course, informed her that her son "had bumped into him several times" and that he was "surprised he hadn't had a drink spilled on him too."

The evil spawn and his surrogate soon departed their seats to tidy up a bit. They were never seen or heard from again.
    Last edited by Blimpie; 05-01-2006 at 04:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by StillFunkyB
    I have had the same thing happen, except substitute Cubs fans in place of the kids. No, I'm not trying to be funny. I had Cubs fans sitting behind me that talked loudly and didn't give a rats behind about what was going on down on the field.
    That's just about half of Wrigley. Cubs' fans are all or nothing -- either die-hard and polite, or ignorant and obnoxious. The people who scream the loudest at the opposing team at Wrigley are usually the ones who never heard the players' names before. They drive me bananas, obvs. If you're going to be a jerk, at least be a smart one.

I was at the game yesterday, and there was a baby near us howling and screaming the entire game. This I don't understand, not only is it dangerous to bring a baby to a ballgame (foul ball screamers were hit at our section several times), but it's unnecessary seeing as the baby doesn't want to be there at all. Every time I see a baby at a ballgame they are crying.

Please folks, get a babysitter or stay home.

Quote Originally Posted by jhiller21
    I was at the game yesterday, and there was a baby near us howling and screaming the entire game. This I don't understand, not only is it dangerous to bring a baby to a ballgame (foul ball screamers were hit at our section several times), but it's unnecessary seeing as the baby doesn't want to be there at all. Every time I see a baby at a ballgame they are crying.

Please folks, get a babysitter or stay home.
    I went to my first ML baseball game in 1971, and seriously do not remember any kids under 5 or 6 and certainly no infants (dangerous and someone has to mind them - so that person is not enjoying the game).

Chip and I sat below a large family yesterday - not too bad - but kids were getting up to get food a lot (and also ordering from the vendors). Mom (?) was having trouble telling the two teams apart (probably because both were wearing red) and had a few expletives to say as well. :
    2024 Reds record attending: 1-0
    2024 Dragons record attending: 0-0
    2024 Y'Alls record attending: 0-0
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

They call me "chef"

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer
    An out of control kid is an out of control kid. Yelling, clapping, asking daddy questions is fine. Screaming, kicking the back of the seat, crying--then you need to find a babysitter for that thing, or at least have the common decency to take it out to the pop stand and calm it down.
    What you're saying is totally valid. I agree. I was referring to the original poster who was annoyed at the kids for "laughing" and making "weird noises". I don't see any valid reason why a child should stop having fun with his family because an adult doesn't like the sound of their "weird" voice. That sounds like someone who just doesn't like kids period.

This reminds me of when I was at a restaurant once and this couple in their thirties walked in. The host walked them over to a table near some children who were playing the video games/claw machine and the woman asked "Are there any sections without kids?" The waiter hesitated for a second, then reminded her "This is a family restaurant, m'am."

I can't identify with people who expect young kids to go to a ball game and not say a word. They're kids. Unless they are touching you, shooting spitballs at the back of your head, or yelling directly into your ear I don't see what the big deal is. It's a ballgame, not the opera.
    If you substitute a couple in their 80s, that would describe my parents - tho' they usually avoid "family" restaurants. Anyhoo, it's one of my parents pet peeves. I didn't go to a restaurant until I was 6 and I remember dropping my little sis (who was about 3) off at my grandparents because she wasn't old enough.

Then there was a time when one of my sister and kids took my parents out to McDonald's - my niece and nephew were about 6 and 3 respectfully. Well, my nephew was acting up and throwing his food. My sister ignored him but my Dad took him outside and spanked him. Of course, he wanted to go back inside to be with mom but Dad said no. When my sister, niece and Mom get outside my Dad said, "Here's your little ----!" My sister has never forgotten that.
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

What you're saying is totally valid. I agree. I was referring to the original poster who was annoyed at the kids for "laughing" and making "weird noises". I don't see any valid reason why a child should stop having fun with his family because an adult doesn't like the sound of their "weird" voice. That sounds like someone who just doesn't like kids period.
    That's one good thing about taking a walkman to the game - you can drown out unwanted noises...

Turn Off Ads?