Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Is it time for the Reds to tell Jr. where he is going to play

Re: Is it time for the Reds to tell Jr. where he is going to play

He's never played 1st, might as well put JR there.
    Go Gators!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by George Foster
    This is going to be a big issue in the next week and the weeks to come. If Jr. plays center, were do the Reds play Freel? I think Freel is the Catalyst of the Reds offense. He gets on base, he bothers pitchers, etc. He needs to be in the line-up everyday..period.

When do the Reds tell Jr. "hey..we pay you 12 million dollars a year...you play were we tell you to play, if that is 1st so be it, if that is right field so be it."

Howcome every other player including Dunn has to play were the management wants them to play except for Griffey? Howcome HE desides were he gets to play? I do not feel he is our best option in center field. I think Kearns now has more range and the same or better arm. Why not Kearns in Center, Freel in right, and Jr. playing 1st? Or keep it the same as it is right now, with Freel's range and play Jr. at 1st. When will somebody have the stones to say to Jr. "you are a 36 year old major leaguer with the legs of a 45 year old and you are not going to hurt the cemistry of this ball team, on the field and in the club house by demanding to play center and bat 3rd."
    I doubt Jr. would pull a Soriano and just not go out there. You are laying this on Jr. when there is simply no evidence to base it on.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

The reason I want Jr. at first is because there is less of a chance for another leg injury. Think about it. You stand idle for two or three innings then in a split second you are running full bore to get a ball in the gap. Not to good for a hamstring with screws to the femor bone. At first, you are involved in more plays keeping the legs lose, but not all-out running for the most part. There is a chance for a leg injury at any position, but I think less of one at 1st.
    1st pick of the 2023 baseball amateur draft

Re: Is it time for the Reds to tell Jr. were he is going to play

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt
    Please. Adam Dunn is the worst left fielder in baseball not named Barry Bonds. Dunn moving to first base isnt some big deal. Its not a harder position to play. Its not like trying to learn SS or 2B or 3B, its first base. The ball is hit, and in 90% of the cases, you trot over to first and catch a line drive thrown at you. Yeah, you gotta toss a few balls to the second baseman or pitcher on hits you field, and you have to hold runners on....its not like that is something complicated. Dunn is a HUGE target at first base. Balls in the dirt for Aurilia, Dunn can probably catch in the pocket of his glove by reaching for them.
    Two words for you, Alfonzo Soriano. Also, you can't tell me that learning a new position isn't hard, especially when defense isn't what you are paid for any way. Dunn is paid to hit, plain and simple. If he commited 4 errors in one game, but hit 4 homers, which would everyone remember two days later. Besides that, other than getting Freel in the lineup, what other part of that is benifical to the Reds. Outfield defense gets better, but theres no question that the infield defense would be weaker, unless you are going to argue that Hatteberg and Aurilla aren't better defensive first basemen than Dunn, which is just ignorant. Both have better gloves than Dunn. Which would you rather have more of a weakness in, 1B or LF. I personally would rather see Dunn in LF, only having to be involved defensively when the ball is hit to him. The true position he should play is DH, but this is the NL. I already know the next argument is that Freel needs to be in the lineup, and he will be when someone needs a break at 3B, or 2B or any of the OF positions. I think Brandon Phillips has taken over some of that spark plug roll though. He may not be near the OBP guy that Freel is, but he definately has the speed to disrupt pitchers. Phillips is making it easier for Narron to put Freel on the bench in other words.

Quote Originally Posted by Jpup
    I doubt Jr. would pull a Soriano and just not go out there. You are laying this on Jr. when there is simply no evidence to base it on.
    Soriano found out he was not going to get paid, and he had a little change of heart. He plays everyday in left field.

Please. Adam Dunn is the worst left fielder in baseball not named Barry Bonds.
    Alfonso Soriano says hello. Preston Wilson is no gem either.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Actually you put much more strain on your hamstring at first - there were numerous discussions on this last year. When you run out in the field you can at least warm up to it. But at 1B you have to go for the stretch or the leap with the ability to warm up.

I can kind of agree with those who want to move Junior because of his lesser athletic ability these days but a move to first will not limit his chances of injury.

Soriano found out he was not going to get paid, and he had a little change of heart. He plays everyday in left field.
    no joke, so where is your evidence to support the claim that Jr. refuses to play another posistion?

btw, the reds best option would be to ship him to the AL and let him DH for a couple years.

Arcanum Ohio via Nashville Tn and Jackson MS.

It's been stated many times that Left or right field is harder on your body than center, slowing up for the walls etc. And JR DID NOT hurt himself in the outfield, it was at bat. Leave Jr in center, use Freel every day replacing LF,CF RF and Second base.

Junior may not be like he used to be, but he is solid. I have said that all year. Give the man a break, you can't expect him to be 25 anymore. The way he anticipates the ball and the route he takes are better than most in baseball, other that Andruw Jones. That nullifies some of the lack of range. Some of those speedsters make great plays every now and then, but mostly make the routine plays a little more hairy by running all over the place. They're speed most of the time just makes up for their lack of judgment.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SeeinRed
    Two words for you, Alfonzo Soriano. Also, you can't tell me that learning a new position isn't hard, especially when defense isn't what you are paid for any way. Dunn is paid to hit, plain and simple. If he commited 4 errors in one game, but hit 4 homers, which would everyone remember two days later. Besides that, other than getting Freel in the lineup, what other part of that is benifical to the Reds. Outfield defense gets better, but theres no question that the infield defense would be weaker, unless you are going to argue that Hatteberg and Aurilla aren't better defensive first basemen than Dunn, which is just ignorant. Both have better gloves than Dunn. Which would you rather have more of a weakness in, 1B or LF. I personally would rather see Dunn in LF, only having to be involved defensively when the ball is hit to him. The true position he should play is DH, but this is the NL. I already know the next argument is that Freel needs to be in the lineup, and he will be when someone needs a break at 3B, or 2B or any of the OF positions. I think Brandon Phillips has taken over some of that spark plug roll though. He may not be near the OBP guy that Freel is, but he definately has the speed to disrupt pitchers. Phillips is making it easier for Narron to put Freel on the bench in other words.
    Griffey isnt a Soriano type, so that scenario is just a real bad one to try and compare it to. As for moving Dunn to first and Griffey to left, that helps the outfield defense a ton more than leaving Dunn in LF and Griffey at first. As for Hatteberg and Aurilia being better at first than Dunn, I cant say for a fact, as I havent seen Dunn play there much since he started here, so to say its ignorant that he isnt decent over there is probably not so good because I doubt you have seen him there either. The thing with Freel spelling the infield to get PT is a bad one. The oldest guy in the IF he would be spelling for a rest is Lopez, who is all of what, 26? 26 year old guys dont need a day off once a week. Neither do 23 and 24 year old guys at 3rd and 2nd. Freel should be in the lineup, but i really think he is the odd man out once Griffey comes back. He isnt as important to the line up as Griffey is, and he isnt a better option at any of the other positions on the field than anyone else.

He isnt as important to the line up as Griffey is, and he isnt a better option at any of the other positions on the field than anyone else.
    How do you figure that?

Quote Originally Posted by Jpup
    no joke, so where is your evidence to support the claim that Jr. refuses to play another posistion?

btw, the reds best option would be to ship him to the AL and let him DH for a couple years.
    Jr. has been quoted several times saying he would move when the Reds have a better centerfielder. I guess he gets to make that decision. He should say, "I'll play were they want me to play, I work for them, they pay me 12 million a year."

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Griffey gives Adam Dunn protection. Its my personal preference, but I would take Griffey in the line up over Freel. He brings more power, he gets on base at a good clip and protects Dunn a little bit, which is something he needs, becuase he hasnt been getting much to drive lately.

Jr. has been quoted several times saying he would move when the Reds have a better centerfielder. I guess he gets to make that decision. He should say, "I'll play were they want me to play, I work for them, they pay me 12 million a year."
    who are you to say how Jr. should speak about the situation? The Reds have, at least, 3 guys better than him. All that needs to be done is for Narron to pencil him in the lineup in LF. That would be the end of it.

Turn Off Ads?