Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How Long Do You Keep The Man Down?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

How Long Do You Keep The Man Down?

Chris Denorfia is tearing up Triple A pitching with a .350+ batting average. He was impressive in spring training and won praise from GM Wayne Krivsky. Yet with the addition of Brandon Phillips, playing time is hard to get despite Ryan Freel playing centerfield. And with Junior soon to come back, you can pretty much expect Denorfia not to be called up anytime soon.

So isn't it about time for the club to realize they can win without Junior and be better off with Freel and Denorfia in centerfield defensively? And don't be surprise by the starting rotation. Eric Milton and Dave Williams are who they are. Paul Wilson is on the comeback but his performances doesn't really excite me. Right now you have a rotation of Arroyo, Claussen, Harang and Ramirez. This team could use another starter.

But to keep Denorfia down at Louisville with nothing to prove is wasting the talents of a young ballplayer.
    If you think small, you'll go nowhere in life.

Not Laughing

Re: How Long Do You Keep The Man Down?

I think messing with the current chemistry/personnel right now would be bad. Since the Phillips acquisition everybody has taken well to their roles.

As well as Denorfia is playing, there is no spot for him. Whatever the Reds have been doing, it's working. Don't mess with it.
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.
    ~Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by BuckU
    I think messing with the current chemistry/personnel right now would be bad. Since the Phillips acquisition everybody has taken well to their roles.

As well as Denorfia is playing, there is no spot for him. Whatever the Reds have been doing, it's working. Don't mess with it.
    Does this mean that we shouldn't pursue another starting pitcher because it would mean "messing with the current chemistry?"

Kriv has been "messing with the chemistry" ever since he got here. THAT'S what seems to be working, IMO.
    For every action there is an equal and opposite criticism.

Not Laughing

Quote Originally Posted by max venable
    Does this mean that we shouldn't pursue another starting pitcher because it would mean "messing with the current chemistry?"

Kriv has been "messing with the chemistry" ever since he got here. THAT'S what seems to be working, IMO.
    I guess that I was under the impression that there is a universal consensus that you can never have enough pitching…

My point was, if you bring Denorfia up, you have to play him. He needs to be playing everyday. Who sits? With everybody getting pretty acclimated to their roles it just doesn’t make sense to rock the boat.

After Jr comes back he would be a 5th outfielder at best. No need to tinker while the team is on a successful streak.
    ~Oscar Wilde

You going to bring him up just to sit him on the bench?
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R
    Yes.

I'll take a good bench guy, he'll get at bats..he has no growing left to do in AAA.
    Go Gators!

Not Laughing

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed
    Yes.

I'll take a good bench guy, he'll get at bats..he has no growing left to do in AAA.
    I disagree. How is 5 at bats a week better than 5 at bats a night in any scenario?
    ~Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by BuckU
    I disagree. How is 5 at bats a week better than 5 at bats a night in any scenario?
    Soaking up the MLB experience and all that.

I just think he's going to start to get bored down in AAA, might hurt his game

IMO
    Go Gators!

Not Laughing

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed
    Soaking up the MLB experience and all that.

I just think he's going to start to get bored down in AAA, might hurt his game

IMO
    I thought that's what spring training was for, to get the big leauge experience.

Let him tear it up in AAA. It gets people talking about him and raises his potential trade value.
    ~Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R
    Exactly. No room for him.

Use him as trade bait.... dangle him to help improve this pitching even more.

Denorfia's are a dime a dozen IMO.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Not Laughing

Quote Originally Posted by GAC

Denorfia's are a dime a dozen IMO.
    I agree with this. In 2 years we are going to have the same problem with Jay Bruce and B.J. (not to the same extent) anyway.
    ~Oscar Wilde

If anything I think keeping Denorfia down is a sign of the Reds starting to return to respectability. This is a normal situation for a good team, they've got good players who have to stay in the minors because they've already got a roster full of decent players. We're just not used to seeing that because the rosters have been filled out with junk the past few years. There really isn't a lot of filler (out of the position players) on the Reds roster right now.

I hope Krivsky is workign the phones overtime to see if there are any AL teams who might have an interest in a star DH with power but no legs? Maybe the orioles--Angelos seems to have a thing for aging superstars, with Junior he might finally get one that actually produces.
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

Lakewood Ranch, FL (by way of Columbus, OH)

Quote Originally Posted by registerthis
    I hope Krivsky is workign the phones overtime to see if there are any AL teams who might have an interest in a star DH with power but no legs? Maybe the orioles--Angelos seems to have a thing for aging superstars, with Junior he might finally get one that actually produces.
    Again... Griffey would need to approve of any move and I doubt he would unless its to a definate World Series contender. The Orioles are the antithesis of that even though they are only 1.5 back... they still suck.

Quote Originally Posted by smith288
    Again... Griffey would need to approve of any move and I doubt he would unless its to a definate World Series contender. The Orioles are the antithesis of that even though they are only 1.5 back... they still suck.
    And someone would have to want him. He's no good to anyone now since he isn't currently healthy. For those teams even entertaining a thought about trading for Jr. this latest injury - no matter how much everyone is soft-pedaling it - has to give them pause. They see the guy hurt himself shagging flies and aggravating it batting. Even if he is just used as a DH, several of his injuries have come from running the bases. Even DHs have to run the bases.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Turn Off Ads?