Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 17

Thread: McCoy: Arroyo can be a FA after 2006?

  1. #1
    Lover of Trivialities Doc. Scott's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Portland, OR (West Chester, OH)
    Posts
    6,091

    McCoy: Arroyo can be a FA after 2006?

    http://www.daytondailynews.com/sport...nid=red-050106

    ---
    Q: Shouldn't the Reds be trying to sign Bronson Arroyo to a long-term deal right now? Of course, that's assuming he wants to come back. — Michael, Wilmington, N.C.

    A: And that's the big assumption one shouldn't make. Arroyo left Boston kicking and screaming. Because he was traded in the midst of a long-term contract, he has the option of becoming a free agent after the season. If he continues to have a monster year the Red Sox might offer him millions and the deed to The Old Church and Kenmore Square. He hasn't sold his new house in Boston, either.
    ---

    This can't be right, can it?

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #2
    Rally Onion! Chip R's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    34,343

    Re: McCoy: Arroyo can be a FA after 2006?

    Yeah, we were talking about it over on Reds Live.

    http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45565
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

  4. #3
    Member Moosie52's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    577

    Re: McCoy: Arroyo can be a FA after 2006?

    Marty says a player had to have 5 (maybe 5.5) years major league service when traded to qualify for free agency in this manner. Arroyo had less than 4 years, so he doesn't qualify.

  5. #4
    CELEBRATION TIME RBA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    San Marcos, CA
    Posts
    13,984

    Re: McCoy: Arroyo can be a FA after 2006?

    Quote Originally Posted by Moosie52
    Marty says a player had to have 5 (maybe 5.5) years major league service when traded to qualify for free agency in this manner. Arroyo had less than 4 years, so he doesn't qualify.

    Marty must be reading Reds Live.

  6. #5
    THAT'S A FACT JACK!! GAC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Bellefontaine, Ohio
    Posts
    26,661

    Re: McCoy: Arroyo can be a FA after 2006?

    Quote Originally Posted by RBA
    Marty must be reading Reds Live.
    Impossible! Someone has to read Reds Live TO him.
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

  7. #6
    The Lineups stink. KronoRed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    West N. Carolina
    Posts
    55,596

    Re: McCoy: Arroyo can be a FA after 2006?

    Quote Originally Posted by RBA
    Marty must be reading Reds Live.
    Can we neg him?
    Go Gators!

  8. #7
    Rally Onion! Chip R's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    34,343

    Re: McCoy: Arroyo can be a FA after 2006?

    Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed
    Can we neg him?
    Marty or Hal or both?
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

  9. #8
    One and a half men Patrick Bateman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Calgary, AB
    Posts
    5,833

    Re: McCoy: Arroyo can be a FA after 2006?

    Quote Originally Posted by Moosie52
    Marty says a player had to have 5 (maybe 5.5) years major league service when traded to qualify for free agency in this manner. Arroyo had less than 4 years, so he doesn't qualify.
    And he doesn't have the right to become a FA even if he has the required service time. He has the right to demand a trade. He only becomes a FA if he isn't traded. Big difference

  10. #9
    GO XAVIER! toledodan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    overland park, kansas
    Posts
    1,875

    Re: McCoy: Arroyo can be a FA after 2006?

    i know i would feel better if the club came out and cleared all this up. i'm not saying anyone is wrong but how do we know bronson didn't have something put into his contract that would allow him to leave?
    there's nothing like bowling a 300 game! 13 now and retired.


    Ricky henderson has a higher OBP than C. patterson and he's retired. C. Trent 6-14-2008

  11. #10
    The Lineups stink. KronoRed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    West N. Carolina
    Posts
    55,596

    Re: McCoy: Arroyo can be a FA after 2006?

    Doesn't matter what's in his contract, the Collective Bargaining agreement would trump it.
    Go Gators!

  12. #11
    Redsmetz redsmetz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Winton Place
    Posts
    11,125

    Re: McCoy: Arroyo can be a FA after 2006?

    Okay, here's some things to chew on here:

    From the MLB Basic Agreement:

    C. Right to Require Assignment of Contract

    (1) Eligibility

    Any Player who has 5 or more years of Major League service at
    the time of the assignment of his contract and whose contract covers
    the next succeeding season, may elect, at the conclusion of the
    season following the assignment, to require that his contract be
    assigned to another Club.
    If the Player, however, subsequently signs
    a contract with the assignee Club, the Player shall not be eligible to
    require that Club to assign his contract if the contract executed with
    the assignee Club covers the next succeeding season. A Player who
    requires the assignment of his contract pursuant to this Section C
    shall not be entitled to receive a Moving Allowance.

    (2) Procedure

    (a) Notice. A Player may exercise his right to require the
    assignment of his contract by giving notice as hereinafter provided
    within the 15 day period beginning on October 15 (or the day
    following the last game of the World Series, whichever is later).
    Election to require the assignment of his contract shall be communicated
    by telephone or any other method of communication
    by the Player to the Association. Written notice thereof shall then
    be given within the specified time limits by the Association, on
    behalf of the Player, to a designated representative of the LRD,
    and shall become effective upon receipt.

    (b) Player Veto Rights. At the time notice is given as provided
    in subparagraph (a) above, the Player may also designate not
    more than 6 Clubs which he will not accept as assignee of his
    contract, and the Player’s Club shall be bound to assign his contract
    thereafter to a Club not on such list.

    (c) Free Agency if Assignment Not Made. If the Player’s
    Club fails to assign his contract, as set forth in this Section C, on
    or before March 15, the Player shall become a free agent immediately
    eligible to negotiate a contract with any Club without any
    restrictions or qualifications. The Player shall not be deemed to
    have exercised his right to demand a trade, for purposes of paragraph
    (5) below, and the Club signing such a free agent shall do
    so without regard to the compensation and quota provisions of
    Section B. A Player who becomes a free agent pursuant to this
    subparagraph shall not be entitled to receive termination pay.
    Such a free agent shall receive transportation and travel expenses
    in the same manner as he would have if he had been unconditionally
    released except he shall be limited to receiving travel
    expenses to his new Club if he reports to it directly, provided such
    expenses are less than to his home city.
    From Cot's Baseball Contracts (see http://mlbcontracts.blogspot.com/200...i-reds_24.html):

    Bronson Arroyo p
    3 years/$11.25M (2006-08)

    acquired in trade 3/06, with Boston also paying $1.5M to Cincinnati

    avoided arbitration 1/06 ($4.2M-$2.95M)
    $0.75M signing bonus
    06:$2.75M, 07:$3.8M, 08:$3.95M

    1 year/$1.85M (2005), re-signed 1/05, avoided arbitration
    1 year/$0.3325M (2004)
    agent: Gregg Clifton, Terry Bross, Gaylord Sports Management

    ML service: 3.150
    Arroyo has less than five years service, therefore he cannot invoke this clause. It is also why his agent recommended that he not sign such a deal without a no trade clause and it is why Arroyo was such a steal for the Reds.

    I hope he comes to love it here and stays with us for a long long time.

  13. #12
    Rally Onion! Chip R's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    34,343

    Re: McCoy: Arroyo can be a FA after 2006?

    Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz
    Arroyo has less than five years service, therefore he cannot invoke this clause. It is also why his agent recommended that he not sign such a deal without a no trade clause and it is why Arroyo was such a steal for the Reds.

    I hope he comes to love it here and stays with us for a long long time.
    But can we renegotiate his contract so we can send him to AAA?
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

  14. #13
    Member Spitball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Posts
    5,618

    Re: McCoy: Arroyo can be a FA after 2006?

    At the time of the trade there were some things going on that made me suspicious.

    1) Arroyo had just signed the three year deal.
    (Was he given any reason by Epstein to believe he had security in Boston?)

    2) The Red Sox had no room in their rotation for Arroyo.
    (How were they going to keep him ready to step into the rotation when needed without demoting him to AAA?)

    3) The Reds figured to be a horrible team and out of contention at some point early in the season.
    (How soon would they start unloading players in an effort to acquire promising prospects?)

    I believed at the time, and still do, that Epstein figured he could "loan" Arroyo out to Cincinnati, keep him rotation ready, and then reacquire him for prospects when the Reds fell out of contention in mid-June.

    Coming out of spring training the five starters ahead of him were all healthy but Schilling, Wells, and Beckett all were very old and/or had histories of breaking down. I suspect Epstein felt he had plotted a very wise plan to keep Arroyo sharp and ready. He just never envisioned the Reds getting off to such a good start.

    Now I believe Epstein is in a tough spot if/when the Reds do fall out of contention. Can you imagine the Yankee-Red Sox bidding for Arroyo's services? The Sox would have to ante up a package that started with Jon Lester because they would want a Doug Mirabelli type story much more than a Johnny Damon-like fiasco.

    Either way, the Reds are sitting in the catbird's seat with Arroyo.
    Last edited by Spitball; 05-03-2006 at 02:53 PM.

  15. #14
    Redsmetz redsmetz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Winton Place
    Posts
    11,125

    Re: McCoy: Arroyo can be a FA after 2006?

    Quote Originally Posted by Spitball
    Now I believe Epstein is in a tough spot if/when the Reds do fall out of contention. Can you imagine the Yankee-Red Sox bidding for Arroyo's services? The Sox would have to ante up a package that started with Bobby Lester because they would want a Doug Mirabelli type story much more than a Johnny Damon-like fiasco.

    Either way, the Reds are sitting in the catbird's seat with Arroyo.
    Ah, yes, but I still hope he falls in love with us all and wants to stay!

  16. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Posts
    9,779

    Re: McCoy: Arroyo can be a FA after 2006?

    Quote Originally Posted by Spitball
    At the time of the trade there were some things going on that made me suspicious.

    1) Arroyo had just signed the three year deal.
    (Was he given any reason by Epstein to believe he had security in Boston?)

    2) The Red Sox had no room in their rotation for Arroyo.
    (How were they going to keep him ready to step into the rotation when needed without demoting him to AAA?)

    3) The Reds figured to be a horrible team and out of contention at some point early in the season.
    (How soon would they start unloading players in an effort to acquire promising prospects?)

    I believed at the time, and still do, that Epstein figured he could "loan" Arroyo out to Cincinnati, keep him rotation ready, and then reacquire him for prospects when the Reds fell out of contention in mid-June.

    Coming out of spring training the five starters ahead of him were all healthy but Schilling, Wells, and Beckett all were very old and/or had histories of breaking down. I suspect Epstein felt he had plotted a very wise plan to keep Arroyo sharp and ready. He just never envisioned the Reds getting off to such a good start.

    Now I believe Epstein is in a tough spot if/when the Reds do fall out of contention. Can you imagine the Yankee-Red Sox bidding for Arroyo's services? The Sox would have to ante up a package that started with Bobby Lester because they would want a Doug Mirabelli type story much more than a Johnny Damon-like fiasco.

    Either way, the Reds are sitting in the catbird's seat with Arroyo.
    Sorry but the Reds do not trade Arroyo no matter how far out of contention they fall this year. He is signed relatively cheap for three years. If the Sox really want to get him back that badly, and we are truly out of contention, I tell them I don't even start listening until they START with a package of the Jonathan's (Lester and Papelbon). Otherwise, fugghetaboutit.
    Go BLUE!!!


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25