Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RHP, LHP or Both?

BobC, get a legit F.O.! Mario-Rijo's Avatar

RHP, LHP or Both?

From Lancasters Blog via the Indy Star 4-29-06.

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dl...76/1004/SPORTS

RHP? LHP? He is both
    Associated Press

OMAHA, Neb. -- Pat Venditte Sr. came up with the idea when he was tossing a ball to his 3-year-old son.

Wouldn't it be neat if he could get Pat Jr., a natural right-hander, to throw equally well with his left? Now "Little Pat," as his dad calls him, is the only active switch pitcher in NCAA Division I baseball and one of the few ambidextrous pitchers in the history of the sport. The sophomore is a middle reliever for Creighton and is equally good with both arms. Venditte's ERA is 2.36 as a righty and 2.92 as a lefty. He retired all six batters he faced in two innings against Kansas on Wednesday -- three as a righty, three as a lefty. He had a strikeout with each arm.

The rules require Venditte to declare which way he's going to pitch before each batter steps into the box. If a switch hitter is due up, pitching coach Travis Wyckoff signals to Venditte which arm to use based on the scouting report.

Neat possibilities with this kid. Where does he keep his extra glove?
    Last edited by Mario-Rijo; 05-01-2006 at 01:51 PM.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: RHP, LHP or Both?

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo
    I'm going to guess he has a special six fingered glove that can be worn on either hand. I remember reading about an ambidextrous pitcher in the early 1900s who had a special glove like that made up.

I am not sure, but I suspect it would be illegal to have a second glove stashed on the mound.

Greg W Harris did this about a decade ago against the Reds. At least I think that was his name. If he can pitch, thats all that really matters.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Cincinnati Bengals - None
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

$700 glove from Japan, new one every few years, Harris did it in 86 and Tony Mullane did it back in the 1880's and didn't wear a glove.

That kind of freaks me out.

http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2006/ap..._lefty/?sports
    Venditte wears an ambidextrous glove that has two thumb holes and four finger holes. His father has been ordering the tailor-made gloves, at almost $700 each, from the Mizuno factory in Osaka, Japan, since his son was 7.

The rules require Venditte to declare which way he’s going to pitch before each batter steps into the box. If a switch hitter is due up, pitching coach Travis Wyckoff will signal to Venditte which arm to use based on the scouting report.

Venditte’s two-armed routine has drawn plenty of double-takes from opponents and fans. Senior reliever Scott Reese said he thought Venditte was a freak when he first saw him work. The novelty has since worn off.

I've often wondered why more pitchers don't do this. When I was a teenager, the kid behind us blew his right arm out throwing constantly. For a couple of years he worked throwing left-handed so he could keep playing ball.

I thought there was a MLB rule somewhere saying you had to pitch from one side exclusively per game. I could be smoking whatever they serve at the Dayton Daily News though so who knows.

Quote Originally Posted by smith288
    I could be smoking whatever they serve at the Dayton Daily News though so who knows.
    Yep. You can switch before each AB.

Also, I want this kid. Bad.
    I hope it's never sunny in Philly again.

I experimented with something similar when I played basketball. Developed a shot, not just a layup, with either hand. I'd be skeptical of a pitcher doing it but since the kid got such a huge jump on it, at such a young age, and it seems to work well for either pitch, go for it. That is a lot harder to do.
    "When the Russians conquer America, they will recruit concentration camp guards from among Cardinals fans."

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TC81190
    Yep. You can switch before each AB.

Seriously -- though, knowing the Reds track record, he'd manage tear both labrums at the exact same time.
    Championships Matter.
    23 Years and Counting...

The kid has no stuff, a middle reliever at a small college, he's full charm can do no harm.

I seem to recall through the mists of my memory that the Reds made a deal with the Angels sometime in the 1960s in which they acquired pitcher Bill Kelso and also a guy named Jorge Rubio who was supposed to be able to pitch with either hand. Rubio never made the Show, so we never got to see his act.

At least that's how I remember it. Anyone have any info on this?

I play baseball with a guy who pitches righthanded and then will play outfield lefthanded. He throws harder lefthanded than most of us throw with our main hand. It really freaked me out at first but he is the best player I have ever played with by far.
    I was in the ORG once, best 6 months of my life.

Didn't the Reds have a pitcher recently from Mexico who once was a lefty, got injured and became a righty. His parents didn't realize he'd changed until they arrived to watch him pitch....am I completely making this up? I thought it was Reyes.

Turn Off Ads?