Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dixie Chicks

C-A-T-S CATS! CATS! CATS! WVRed's Avatar

Dixie Chicks

This was brought up in one of the country music threads, but I thought it deserved its own thread.

The Dixie Chicks are back in the spotlight with their new song, "Not Ready to Make Nice". Here is the lyrics.

Forgive, sounds good
    Forget, Iím not sure I could
    They say time heals everything
    But Iím still waiting

Iím through with doubt
    Thereís nothing left for me to figure out
    Iíve paid a price
    And Iíll keep paying

Iím not ready to make nice
    Iím not ready to back down
    Iím still mad as hell and
    I donít have time to go round and round and round
    Itís too late to make it right
    I probably wouldnít if I could
    ĎCause Iím mad as hell
    Canít bring myself to do what it is you think I should

I know you said
    Canít you just get over it
    It turned my whole world around
    And I kind of like it

I made my bed and I sleep like a baby
    With no regrets and I donít mind sayiní
    Itís a sad sad story when a mother will teach her
    Daughter that she ought to hate a perfect stranger
    And how in the world can the words that I said
    Send somebody so over the edge
    That theyíd write me a letter
    Sayiní that I better shut up and sing
    Or my life will be over

ĎCause Iím mad as hell

ĎCause Iím mad as hell

Forgive, sounds good
    Forget, Iím not sure I could
    They say time heals everything
    But Iím still waiting
    Does anyone plan on buying the album and are there still any fans left?
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Dixie Chicks

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed
    This was brought up in one of the country music threads, but I thought it deserved its own thread.

The Dixie Chicks are back in the spotlight with their new song, "Not Ready to Make Nice". Here is the lyrics.

Does anyone plan on buying the album and are there still any fans left?

Why don't they have fans? They sold out their last concert series.

Quote Originally Posted by RBA
    Why don't they have fans? They sold out their last concert series.
    How many boycotts did they have?
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Let's talk about this in the peanut gallery.

http://www.redszone.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=25
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

Yawn

For the record, I actually do like the new song. I enjoyed a lot of their old songs as well, and am planning on buying the new album.

But lets not make this a p-thread.

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Sticking to music...

From what I've read here, the single's not getting much airplay, but the followup singles are supposed to be good and all the major country radio programmers are intending to return to business as usual. Reading between the lines, the group is OK with that; while many advised them to just let it be, they wanted to make their statement, didn't much care if it got played on the radio, and now everyone's ready to move on.
    Not all who wander are lost

Zoinks!

February 2006 The Dixie Chicks were nominated for 2 Grammy Awards for Best Country Vocal Performance by a Duo or Group and Best Country Song (awarded to the songwriters with Keb Mo') ("I Hope").

April 2006 The single "Landslide" was certified gold.

Evidently someone still likes them.

Holly Family Not Happy With Chicks' Song
    LUBBOCK, Texas — A reference to Buddy Holly on an upcoming Dixie Chicks album isn't setting right with brothers of the 1950s music legend.

In "Lubbock or Leave It," Natalie Maines, a native of this West Texas city, sings: "I hear they hate me now/Just like they hated you./Maybe when I'm dead and gone/I'm gonna get a statue, too."

Holly, whose statue is in downtown Lubbock, was born here and died in a plane crash along with singers Ritchie Valens and J.P. "The Big Bopper" Richardson in Iowa in 1959.

Holly's older brother, Larry O. Holley, said he doesn't know of anyone in Lubbock who hated his sibling.

"Older people in town thought rock 'n' roll was for kids," Holley said. "But no one hated Buddy."

The song is on the fourth Dixie Chicks album, a May 23 national release titled "Taking the Long Way." The songwriting credit lists all three Chicks — Emily Robison, Martie Maguire and Maines — and Mike Campbell.

Another brother, Travis Holley, said his brother was proud of Lubbock.

"He was loyal to his hometown, his church and his family," he said. "And I never knew of anyone who hated Buddy."

Maines, born and raised in Lubbock, seemed to be embraced by all until March 2003 when she told a concert audience in London the group was "ashamed" President Bush was from Texas. A free-speech debate ensued and radio stations across the country stopped playing the Chicks' music. Some still don't; only one in Lubbock does.

Kathy Best of Front Page Publicity, which handles Chicks' interview requests, said that Maines won't be available anytime soon for interviews.

On the Chicks Web site Maines writes that the song "is not just about Lubbock, but about any small, hypocritical town."
    Will trade this space for a #1 starter.

Billy Joe Shaver said he was afraid they'd hang him in Lubbock, but he wasn't worried, cause they couldn't find a tree.

I think Maines has a martyr's complex. The whole thing bores me.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

To quote one of Larry the Cable Guy's more intelligent remarks, "Natalie....honey. You're a COUNTRY singer. You got a PATRIOTIC fan base." They never satisfied my taste in the first place. No, I will not be buying the new album.

* Edited for profanity and political commentary

Quote Originally Posted by naynay
    No, I will not be buying the new album.
    Got to save that dough for the Larry the Cable Guy's of the world.

This thread has stayed non-political, and my desire in this post is to keep things that way. I really didn't plan to make any more posts about the Dixie Chicks, but I thought that people might want to chick out Chet Flippo's current column on CMT.Com at http://www.cmt.com/news/print_news.j...ent_id=1532532. I find it rare for any act to in effect give the middle finger to a fan base.
    The most surprising comment recorded by Flippo did not come from Natalie Maines but from her bandmate Martie Maguire: "I'd rather have a smaller following of really cool people who get it," says Maguire, "who will grow with us as we grow and are fans for life, than people that have us in their five-disc changer with Reba McEntire and Toby Keith. WE DON'T WANT THOSE KIND OF FANS. They limit what you can do." (caps added).
    I had several reactions to that quote. First, while the bad blood between the Chicks and Keith is well known, what in the world do they have against Reba McEntire?
    I cannot recall ever hearing another artist announce that certain fans are not wanted. Artists have on occassion done or said things that upset some fans, but the entertainners were still willing to take those fans' money for concert tickets and music sales.
    I also do not buy the excuse that certain fans "limit what you can do." A true artist should grow and should not allow fans to totally limit the direction talent takes one. If the artist does not do so, that is the fault of the artist, not the fans.
    Maguire's quote could be interpreted as we want our own little cult of fans who listen only to us, who are sworn to us only for life, and who are those few people intelligent enough to really appreciate how great we are.
    Natalie Maines and Martie Maguire also lobbed a few more blasts at country music:
    Maines: "I don't even know what's played on country radio, but when they tell me some titles, it cracks me up."
    Maguire: "I just feel stupid. I was trying to convince people that that stereotype [about country music] wasn't real...but it does exist. I thought it was the old school. Now I wouldn't blame anyone if they didn't want to listen to it."
    Maguire: "But over the years, and especially since country music's turned into this redneck thing, it's become kind of a negative......it's reverted back to a place that I'm not proud of, and this is coming from a true country fan. I can't listen to the radio right now."
    Flippo also compared a 1999 quote from Maines, "country music and Texas are in my soul" with a 2006 quote, "I've never pretended to be country to the core."
    Bandmate Emily Robison also "dissed" the idea of the Chicks apperaing on "The View," prompting its host, Meredith Viera to retort: "This is obnoxious, obnoxious. We started these girls-back in 1998, they couldn't get arrested. We were one of the first national shows to give them a platform, because they deserve a platform-they are incredibly talented performers."
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Waiting for a tour/album KittyDuran's Avatar

I think they are sounding like rock n' rollers...
    2014 Reds record when I'm attending: 21-17
    2014 Dragons record when I'm attending: 2-1 - FINAL
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

Turn Off Ads?