Turn Off Ads?

Thread: The least heralded contributors & thoughts on Narron

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

The least heralded contributors & thoughts on Narron

We've all been singing the praises of Arroyo, Phillips, and EE as some of the reasons we're 18-8. However, perhaps our 1B platoon has been overlooked.

Aurilia and Hatteberg have combined for the following line: .343/.434/.573

That's right; our 1B is OPS'ing over 1.000. It seems very akin to how Narron used our catchers last year. I'm sure both guys would like more playing time, but Narron is putting them in the position to succeed and the net result is one of the more productive 1B's in the league from two very average (at best) players.

There's always going to be room to complain about a manager (lefty/righty obsession anyone?). But between the intelligent platooning, giving Freel CF full-time with Junior out, playing Phillips everyday when Womack was still on the roster, using his most effective reliever in the highest leverage situations, I'm starting to adjust to the idea of Narron being around a while.

He seems to have a very good rapport with Krivsky and if we continue to win, it will become clear that success makes a manager popular, not the other way around. There's no need to bring in a higher profile name (Pinella). One thing about Narron I like is that he's good in the media playing the whole game of not hurting feelings, but that he has a real plan behind the scenes.

I suppose we'll see where my optimism goes when people cool off...
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: The least heralded contributors & thoughts on Narron

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick
    We've all been singing the praises of Arroyo, Phillips, and EE as some of the reasons we're 18-8. However, perhaps our 1B platoon has been overlooked.

That's right; our 1B is OPS'ing over 1.000.
    If anyone would have predicted this they would have been laughed at...for a long time. Great point. I too, am surprised with the early success of our 1B.

Narron deserves praise for taking Tony Womack out of the lineup, that's for sure.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Designated Threadkiller LincolnparkRed's Avatar

I think Narron is getting to put his stamp on this years team. Last year he had the dreaded "interim" tag for the whole year but knew that DanO was at least tolerant of him. I think this year he started out not trying to step on Krivsky's toes but I think with Hancock he got to flex his muscles a little to help him gain face with some on the team and this is getting him a little more leeway that along with the hot start will give him some job security for the near future.

As for Lou, I just don't think a manager with a red a$$ all the time works as well with today's players. Look at Larry Bowa, his teams hated him and always seemed to underperform.
    Climbing down from the bridge, but keeping the torch lit until Dusty's fate is settled

Hatteberg has 2 walks so far in 2 AB today. In 59 AB he has 15 and 4 strikeouts. The guy is basically Sean Casey except instead of so many flares to left field and double plays to 2B he walks instead.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

RMR, walks dont count as at bats, so the stat is a slightly misleading. He has walked 15 times in at least 74 at bats (havent looked at sac hits so its close to that). Still a very good ratio, especially the 15/4 ratio. I have been very impressed with Hatteberg this year, I am not sure anyone saw what he has done so far coming.

White Castle to the Nile Crash Davis's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick

That's right; our 1B is OPS'ing over 1.000. It seems very akin to how Narron used our catchers last year. I'm sure both guys would like more playing time, but Narron is putting them in the position to succeed and the net result is one of the more productive 1B's in the league from two very average (at best) players.

There's always going to be room to complain about a manager (lefty/righty obsession anyone?). But between the intelligent platooning, giving Freel CF full-time with Junior out, playing Phillips everyday when Womack was still on the roster, using his most effective reliever in the highest leverage situations, I'm starting to adjust to the idea of Narron being around a while.

He seems to have a very good rapport with Krivsky and if we continue to win, it will become clear that success makes a manager popular, not the other way around. There's no need to bring in a higher profile name (Pinella). One thing about Narron I like is that he's good in the media playing the whole game of not hurting feelings, but that he has a real plan behind the scenes.

I suppose we'll see where my optimism goes when people cool off...
    "I fought because I understood and could not bear to understand, that it was my destiny -- unlike that of my father, whose fate it was to hear the roar of the crowd -- to sit in the stands with most men and acclaim others. It was my fate, my destiny, my end, to be a fan."

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt
    RMR, walks dont count as at bats, so the stat is a slightly misleading. He has walked 15 times in at least 74 at bats (havent looked at sac hits so its close to that). Still a very good ratio, especially the 15/4 ratio. I have been very impressed with Hatteberg this year, I am not sure anyone saw what he has done so far coming.
    Right, 74 plate appearances. I'll still take a .450 OBP any day. The number of at bats doesn't change the fact that he's walked nearly 4 times for every strikeout.

Im an idiot and cant type.

I remember a couple of years ago when Juan Castro was hitting .310 in June, then went about 1 for 78.

good times

Got him a starting job with the Twins though
    Go Gators!

Turn Off Ads?