Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Comments on "experts" analyzing Arroyo

Comments on "experts" analyzing Arroyo

So word around (Bob Brenly and other analysts) is that Arroyo's success is because the NL hasn't seen him--just wait they say, and Arroyo will come back to career norms. My response to that is:
    1) Arroyo is not a fastballer who hitters need to get their timing on, or a junk pitcher who hitters need to get their timing on- he throws a fastball at three arm angles, he throws a nasty curve at three arm angles, and a changeup. He has basically seven pitches. And he uses them smartly and is able to change tactics and adjust mid-game. He's a smart pitcher with a lot of variety in his arsenal. No matter how many times you see him.
    2) I don't think at 29 you have met the final definition of who you are as a pitcher. At 32 you have, but I still think there's some upcurve left in Arroyo's talent being realized.

The Red Sox must be kicking themselves.
    "Don't trust any statistics you did not fake yourself."--Winston Churchill

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Comments on "experts" analyzing Arroyo

Well, it could also be said in response that Cubs and Cards have each seen him twice now, and he was better in the second starts against each of those clubs than the first...

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Pitchers adjust too...at this point, it looks like Bronson's adjustments are better than the oppositions adjustments.

In case Bob has been reading from the same factbook as Hal, Arroyo was originally an NL pitcher. Although he may have refined himself in the three years in Boston he came up through the NL and debuted with Pittsburgh so I don't see how that can really hold water. What about Mulder et al are they going to say they pitched well last year because the NL hasn't seen them.

Very good point.
    "Don't trust any statistics you did not fake yourself."--Winston Churchill

Well I don't expect him to pitch 1 run complete games every time out.

Something like an NL adjusted career norm would actually be just fine with this team. If he has a big year then all the better. If not, he should still win games and provide rotation stability all year long.

Don't forget he has that wicked breaking ball strike out pitch. In my opinion, that's his bread and butter pitch

Zoinks!

Man, he just looked sharper each time through the lineup tonight. I've had a big goofy grin during each game he's pitched.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw
    Pitchers adjust too...at this point, it looks like Bronson's adjustments are better than the oppositions adjustments.
    Bingo! J. Encarnacion hit a homer and after that zippo.
    The Hunt for a Reds October.

Brenly's analysis is typical, but with interleague play this isn't quite as big a factor as it once was. But don't let that stop someone from making a lazy prediction. More exposure to a pitcher will likely help the hitting team, but some of what he is doing is just a marvelous mixing of speeds, pitch types and locations.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

These guys need to actually watch him pitch. He hits his spots, changes speeds, has good movement and throws 91 MPH when he needs to. How is that not a recipe for success in this league? It's not luck that he's 5-0. He has really pitched well.

That actually is a possibility though. Arroyo was great in his first go 'round in the AL, but was more hittable in his second year with the Sox. You normally don't see that big of a drop off in K rate after one season. He seems to be back on his game after switching leagues and seeing some new hitters, but maybe it is just his tricky style that's catching everyone off guard right now? It'll be interesting to see how he performs next year and if the pattern continues. (Hopefully he's just a better pitcher than he was a year ago and is on his way to a Cy Young )

I expect Arroyo's ERA to be around 4 this year.
    School's out. What did you expect?

Quote Originally Posted by pedro
    I expect Arroyo's ERA to be around 4 this year.
    Any starter on this team with an ERA of 4 will be a winner, especially if it includes a lot of innings. This staff has not enjoyed a lot of 4.00 ERA starters in recent years.

Lakewood Ranch, FL (by way of Columbus, OH)

I heard them basically say that the NL is a wuss league in terms of hitters so Arroyo is just mowing down the pathetic NL. I think Arroyo is a good pitcher but what do i know?

Turn Off Ads?