Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: George Grande = USC baseball player?

George Grande = USC baseball player?

I just found this comment in Marc Lancaster's blog. Wanted to see if it was true, or Internet lore. I knew Grande graduated from USC, but I didn't know he was a ballplayer for the team. Any truth?

George Grande - have to admit I hate his "He gahhhht it!" and other exclamations..enough to listen to Marty instead...but I didn't know this about George and its' changed the way I look at him now. Grande played ball at USC with Seaver. Who knew?

George graduated in 1969 from the University of Southern California, where he played baseball for 4 seasons and was a member of the 1968 College World Series championship team. While at USC he played with 14 future Major Leaguers, including Hall of Famer Tom Seaver and slugger Dave Kingman. Grande is on the board of directors for USA Baseball.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: George Grande = USC baseball player?

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31069

and straight from foxsports.com/fsnohio

George Grande
    Play-by-Play, Cincinnati Reds
    George Grande, a 36-year veteran of the broadcasting business, has been the play-by-play voice of the Cincinnati Reds on FSN Ohio since 1993.
    The native of New Haven, Connecticut has covered Major League Baseball since 1965 and has been broadcasting Major League Baseball games since 1989. Since 1980 Grande has served as the master of ceremonies for the annual induction ceremony at the Baseball Hall of Fame, and broadcasted the event for ESPN from 1980-88. After a ten-year career at ESPN, Grande broadcast the New York Yankees games on WPIX-TV with Phil Rizzuto and Tom Seaver from 1989-90. He then moved on to broadcast the St. Louis Cardinals games during the 1991-92 seasons before joining Fox Sports Net Ohio. In addition to being the Reds play-by-play announcer, Grande was also a broadcaster with ABC and NBC for "The Baseball Network" and takes great pride in working with numerous local and civic organizations.

On September 1979, Grande anchored the first ever ESPN SportsCenter broadcast where he worked from 1979-88. Two months after the first broadcast, he was appointed "senior announcer" of SportsCenter and held that position until 1988. While with ESPN, he covered the Worlds Series, the NBA Finals, the Stanley Cup Finals, the Super Bowl, the NCAA Basketball Tournament, the College World Series and major college football games. During his time at ESPN, Grande performed play-by-play duties for a variety of sports, which included NCAA baseball, football, basketball, hockey, New York and Boston Marathons, as well as the World Track and Field Championships. From 1984-86, he was the primary network host of the NCAA college football scoreboard show, and the primary host of ESPN draft coverage from 1980-88.

For two years (1983-85), he was the acting news director for SportsCenter. While in this position, he was responsible for the $3.2 million newsroom, managed 62 staff members and organized the 1984 Winter and Summer Olympic coverage. From 1979-88, Grande also anchored, wrote and produced ESPN's weekly "Inside Baseball" program.

Grande began his broadcasting career as the sports and news director of the University of Southern California radio station, KUSC-FM, from 1967-69. He then interned with KNX radio in Los Angeles. He held positions with WERI radio in Westerly, Rhode Island (1969-71), WNHC radio in New Haven, Connecticut (1971-75), Yale University broadcasts (1971-77) and then finished up by handling the pre and post game shows for the Boston Red Sox radio on WMEX (1975). He started broadcasting professional baseball on the radio in 1971 for the West Haven (CT) Yankees, the New York Yankees AA Eastern League team.

He also anchored sports on local television from 1973-79. He began as the weekend sports anchor of WTNH in New Haven, Connecticut (1973-76) and then as the primary news anchor from 1976-78. The following year he moved on to New York as the weekend sports anchor for WCBS-TV and also anchored the New York Giants post game show. He handled network radio responsibilities for CBS doing the play-by-play for the baseball game of the week (1988-90) and currently serves as the program host of the network syndicated "Sunday Night Grandstand."

Grande graduated form the University of Southern California in 1969 where he played four years of baseball including 1968 when USC won the College World Series. While at USC, he played with 14 future major leaguers including Tom Seaver and Dave Kingman.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

14 Major Leaguers, eh?

I bet they are all the greatest guy you wil ever meet, too.

By the way, hope you had a winner in the Ohio Lottery.

For a Level Playing Field

Quite an impressive resume for George. And a man who was part of a D-1 NCAA championship team.

Yep. George played for the late great Rod Dedeaux, who coached 11 National Championships teams while at USC. He is also being inducted into the College Baseball Hall of Fame this year.

I wonder if George wore #15 and played CF?

I was gonna ask what position he played... could it have been the outfield? On the other hand, it would seem that any outfielder - past or current - could tell when a no-doubter home run is gone. Grande sometimes doesn't know. That's not a rip on his character... just a thought.

nevermind
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by MaineRed
    14 Major Leaguers, eh?

I bet they are all the greatest guy you wil ever meet, too.
    Well, you know their stories...

Ha Ha Ha!

realreds, not sure if you heard George during the pregame last night but he mentioned that he was an, infielder. I forget the context.

Speaking of George, how many times is he going to refer to the Nationals franchise as, "Montreal?" The man is losing it. I've heard more mistakes out of him so far this year then what you would expect to hear from a high school announcer. He keeps claiming the Reds are playing someone else, refers to Washington DC as Montreal and well, you know the story.

AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

This means he was there when O.J. won the Heisman. Just a thought.
    Stick to your guns.

George has quite the resume. While I don't care much for his Cardinal and Jim Edmonds love, I have heard much worse baseball announcers than George Grande. I have met the guy and he is one of the nicest people you will ever meet.

George Grande
    George Grande, a 36-year veteran of the broadcasting business, has been the play-by-play voice of the Cincinnati Reds on FSN Ohio since 1993.
    The native of New Haven, Connecticut has covered Major League Baseball since 1965 and has been broadcasting Major League Baseball games since 1989. Since 1980 Grande has served as the master of ceremonies for the annual induction ceremony at the Baseball Hall of Fame, and broadcasted the event for ESPN from 1980-88. After a ten-year career at ESPN, Grande broadcast the New York Yankees games on WPIX-TV with Phil Rizzuto and Tom Seaver from 1989-90. He then moved on to broadcast the St. Louis Cardinals games during the 1991-92 seasons before joining Fox Sports Net Ohio. In addition to being the Reds play-by-play announcer, Grande was also a broadcaster with ABC and NBC for "The Baseball Network" and takes great pride in working with numerous local and civic organizations.

On September 1979, Grande anchored the first ever ESPN SportsCenter broadcast where he worked from 1979-88. Two months after the first broadcast, he was appointed "senior announcer" of SportsCenter and held that position until 1988. While with ESPN, he covered the Worlds Series, the NBA Finals, the Stanley Cup Finals, the Super Bowl, the NCAA Basketball Tournament, the College World Series and major college football games. During his time at ESPN, Grande performed play-by-play duties for a variety of sports, which included NCAA baseball, football, basketball, hockey, New York and Boston Marathons, as well as the World Track and Field Championships. From 1984-86, he was the primary network host of the NCAA college football scoreboard show, and the primary host of ESPN draft coverage from 1980-88.

For two years (1983-85), he was the acting news director for SportsCenter. While in this position, he was responsible for the $3.2 million newsroom, managed 62 staff members and organized the 1984 Winter and Summer Olympic coverage. From 1979-88, Grande also anchored, wrote and produced ESPN's weekly "Inside Baseball" program.

Grande began his broadcasting career as the sports and news director of the University of Southern California radio station, KUSC-FM, from 1967-69. He then interned with KNX radio in Los Angeles. He held positions with WERI radio in Westerly, Rhode Island (1969-71), WNHC radio in New Haven, Connecticut (1971-75), Yale University broadcasts (1971-77) and then finished up by handling the pre and post game shows for the Boston Red Sox radio on WMEX (1975). He started broadcasting professional baseball on the radio in 1971 for the West Haven (CT) Yankees, the New York Yankees AA Eastern League team.

He also anchored sports on local television from 1973-79. He began as the weekend sports anchor of WTNH in New Haven, Connecticut (1973-76) and then as the primary news anchor from 1976-78. The following year he moved on to New York as the weekend sports anchor for WCBS-TV and also anchored the New York Giants post game show. He handled network radio responsibilities for CBS doing the play-by-play for the baseball game of the week (1988-90) and currently serves as the program host of the network syndicated "Sunday Night Grandstand."

Grande graduated form the University of Southern California in 1969 where he played four years of baseball including 1968 when USC won the College World Series. While at USC, he played with 14 future major leaguers including Tom Seaver and Dave Kingman.

http://msn.foxsports.com/id/4568191

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine
    George has quite the resume. While I don't care much for his Cardinal and Jim Edmonds love, I have heard much worse baseball announcers than George Grande. I have met the guy and he is one of the nicest people you will ever meet.

George Grande

http://msn.foxsports.com/id/4568191
    A picture would be priceless....anyone?

I hope someone can answer this for me. I'd always heard that George played at USC and was on the CWS championship team in 1968. And earlier posts, as well as websites that have his bio such as FOX Sports Ohio and the Reds, state this. So . . .
    Why is there no mention of him on any official sites that list the roster of the 1968 USC baseball team? Even go to the baseball team site on USC's official athletics website and then to the baseball media guide. There is an entire page devoted to the '68 USC team, including a roster, and George is not listed. And even on the all-time letterwinner roster, his name does not appear.
    Puzzled . . .

Quote Originally Posted by CometKid24 View Post
    I hope someone can answer this for me. I'd always heard that George played at USC and was on the CWS championship team in 1968. And earlier posts, as well as websites that have his bio such as FOX Sports Ohio and the Reds, state this. So . . .
    Why is there no mention of him on any official sites that list the roster of the 1968 USC baseball team? Even go to the baseball team site on USC's official athletics website and then to the baseball media guide. There is an entire page devoted to the '68 USC team, including a roster, and George is not listed. And even on the all-time letterwinner roster, his name does not appear.
    Puzzled . . .
    Probably just Jesse Jackson up to his usual hijinks.

16. Likes:

Tom Servo (06-11-2013)

I believe this may be the largest blast from the past I've seen in my time on RedsZone...

18. Likes:

redsfanmia (06-13-2013)

Turn Off Ads?